Msiert's Black Spider Project - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM

Living in Nebraska I know all about how fast the weather can change and it does scares me a bit, I will have to play it by ear. I never pulled a trailer before any advice on how to handle one on ice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Try to stay in front of it and don't lose control of it in places you actually have to come to a stop?

Oh, yeah, also remember that inertia can overcome mass pretty easily on the stuff and to wear a stoutly made set of pants so in the event of a 'pucker factor' event, you won't pull the upholstery off the seat.
ghnl's '82~'89/Series 3 Spider L~jet diagnostic page
as hosted by
Greg Gordon's HI Performance Store
& OK Injectors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 AM

What's the update? Final dyno yet? Do you need me to go pick this up for you and drive it out to Nebraska? I have some free time this weekend.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
What's the update? Final dyno yet? Do you need me to go pick this up for you and drive it out to Nebraska? I have some free time this weekend.
Hi Maxwedge,

The night before I was to go up the other week Steve called me with some bad news, it turns out that the head gasket never blew instead what happen was he got too close to the water jacket when drilling out the # 4 cylinder intake. There was a very small pin hole that was leaking into the # 4 cylinder. What is surpising to me was that it went through 1 1/2 dyno's before letting go. He caught it warming up the car after the head gasket was replaced and saw it leaking with a mirror through the throttle bodies.

He took it to his weilder to fix it but he ended up chasing the crack through the valve seat. Right now the head is waiting to have new valve seat put in.

Steve is going out of town for a couple of weeks so the next target date is April 14th.

I have decided to call my Spider "Lucky"!

Here a couple of picks of the crack if you can see it. See the oval stain where the coolant ran down to the valve seat?
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 04-15-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Wow that sucks. Hope that welds up ok and you have no future problems with the other ports.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 PM

Hang in There...

Can't believe all the delays/set-backs, Murray...wait....yes, I can!!

Not to worry. It'll all work out. Remember nothing worthwhile comes easy or is it nothing easy is worthwhile? Either way, you'll enjoy it that much more when it's finally done.

Just over three weeks to wait for the dnyo, eh? Oh man! How much hair have you pulled out by now?

streetfame
Old 04-17-2007, 09:50 PM

It's Done!!!

It's done and the finial numbers are 167 HP @ 7043 rpm and 138.9 torque @ 5712 rpm @ the wheels. This is with a 10.5 CR and stock exhaust manifold too! The stock manifold may be the cause of the torque dip at 5000 rpm but I'm ready to call it good enough and start driving it.

Bob Payton of Speedlab in Spring Grove IL. and Steve Schwitters of Advance Racing Services in Rockford IL. did a wonderful job getting that much out of an old twin cam design with 10.5 CR I believe! I really want to thank them both for all the time and effort they put into this project. We all had our ups and downs but the finial result made it all worth while. I highly recommend the both of them!

Here is the long a waited Dyno sheet and a pic of Bob and Steve I took at the Dyno.
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 04-18-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 PM

Finally!

Nice one Murray, on the top end!! Glad to hear all is sorted in time for the warm weather. Give her a good clean-up and wax and you're set. As always, keep us updated.

streetfame
Old 04-18-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiert View Post
It's done and the finial numbers are 167 HP @ 7043 rpm and 138.9 torque @ 5712 rpm @ the wheels. This is with a 10.5 CR and stock exhaust manifold too! The stock manifold may be the cause of the torque dip at 5000 rpm but I'm ready to call it good enough and start driving it. With the rev limitor set at 7,800 rpms (with 8,000 rpm being the true red line) and if I shift at 7,500 rpm I should have a nice power band to play in.

Bob Payton of Speedlab in Spring Grove IL. and Steve Schwitters of Advance Racing Services in Rockford IL. did a wonderful job getting that much out of an old twin cam design with 10.5 CR I believe! I really want to thank them both for all the time and effort they put into this project. We all had our ups and downs but the finial result made it all worth while. I highly recommend the both of them!

Here is the long a waited Dyno sheet and a pic of Bob and Steve I took at the Dyno.
Geez! By any chance do you know the advance curve vs. RPM curve for your ignition setup?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 AM

Congrats Murray! I tried to call Steve the other day but missed him because he was at the dyno with your car. When I reached him later, he told me about the power you are making. It is VERY impressive for a 10.5 street car. Now work on those autocross skills so you can take it to the boys from Kentucky!

Erik
Old 04-18-2007, 04:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Murray,

Great results!. You are coming to the AROC Convention in Detroit this summer, right?.

Quote:
It's done and the finial numbers are 167 HP @ 7043 rpm and 138.9 torque @ 5712 rpm @ the wheels...

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfame View Post
Nice one Murray, on the top end!! Glad to hear all is sorted in time for the warm weather. Give her a good clean-up and wax and you're set. As always, keep us updated.
streetfame
Thanks Michael, I still have a couple of little things to do before the buffing starts, the tach didn't work so I just trailer it from Rockford to the local race shop to get it fixed. Should be done by this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapbass View Post
Geez! By any chance do you know the advance curve vs. RPM curve for your ignition setup?
Sorry I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericwood View Post
Congrats Murray! I tried to call Steve the other day but missed him because he was at the dyno with your car. When I reached him later, he told me about the power you are making. It is VERY impressive for a 10.5 street car. Now work on those autocross skills so you can take it to the boys from Kentucky!
Erik
Erik, You were right when you said I should listen to Steve. With his advice I gained 32 HP from the exhaust system he designed! I'll have to post the dyno sheet with the old exhaust system for everyone to see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
Murray,

Great results!. You are coming to the AROC Convention in Detroit this summer, right?.
Thanks George..........Yes I am going, sent the check and form in last week but I don't know if I got it in on time for the TT? It will make a difference in how I set the car up?

Looking forward to meeting you,

Last edited by msiert; 04-18-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:31 AM

Congrats Murray. Now get out there and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Quote:
It's done and the finial numbers are 167 HP @ 7043 rpm and 138.9 torque @ 5712 rpm @ the wheels. This is with a 10.5 CR and stock exhaust manifold too! The stock manifold may be the cause of the torque dip at 5000 rpm but I'm ready to call it good enough and start driving it.

Big, big, congrats, Murray!! It really is nice to hear that your project has been completed, especially with such impressive numbers. I'm looking forward to seeing you at the convention. We are going to have a great time!

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiso View Post
Congrats Murray. Now get out there and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Without a doubt John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunige View Post
Big, big, congrats, Murray!! It really is nice to hear that your project has been completed, especially with such impressive numbers. I'm looking forward to seeing you at the convention. We are going to have a great time!
Best regards,
Thanks, I'm looking forward to the convention too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.