Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Various accessory questions ...

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 ·
My '74 Spider is running like a dream these days and all in all everything is in place and functions. However, I'd like to try and fix a few things:

1) The passenger side windshield washer sprayer is missing. I'm sure I could get one up somewhere but I can't see how on earth I would get in where the plastic hose is and connect it. In fact I'm not sure how the sprayer connects to the car without coming from underneath the grill?

2) My rear view mirror is in average shape (cluding) and I like the light that is included which the aftermarket does not have. Is it possible to replace just the mirror portion.

3) The light is burned out on the temperature gauge (top right). I've had the console removed a few times for other lights but it has not seemed like there is a good path to these gauges. Is it a pain to get there?

4) Related to #3, the only thing that does not work at all on the car is the heater fan has seized. I know it takes an effort to remove it but if I go for the gauge light, am I close enough to also go for the fan?

G Mason
'74 Spider

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Beachmason:

For #1 you have to remove the wiper cowl. 4-5 screws in the gutter. Remove the bottom windshield chrome trim. And finally remove the wiper arms and nuts leaving only the shafts. Then it slids a little forward and lifts up and off the car. Your nozzles are threaded on the back with a nut. You can get new nozzles from IAP.

Temp gauge is a PIA to pull out but you should be able to get at the bulb socket with some contorsionism. I took my radio out to give clearance. On the heater fan, its center dash behind the center console. Its in the bottom half of the stack. And it makes the temp gauge look like child's play.

Best Regards,
John M

#4 ·
Try going here they give a breakdown of the http://www.fiatparts.com/
I don't know how similiar an 84 and a 74 are but..
I just had the wiper motor go out on my 1984 Spider..to get to it (where the hose are) I had to remove the lower windshield chrome piece, then the metal wiper panel (you can leave the plastic vent on....if the '74 has this) pg36-37 in pdf file.

As for the heater fan...I read somewher that if you can manually spin it and its possible it'll start working. And to prevent further seizing run fan periodically.

#5 ·
For the rearview mirror, have you tried just pulling it apart and cleaning it? Mine was cloudy as all get out and now it looks like new. Just (carefully) snap off the plastic edging ring surrounding the front side. The glass comes off and you can clean both it and the mirror underneath.

If the mirror backside is going then, yes, you'll have to replace it. It's probably just all clouded up on the inside from surface buildup, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.