Frame Stiffener - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to ecohen2 Send a message via Yahoo to ecohen2 Send a message via Skype™ to ecohen2
Frame Stiffener

Hey folks,

I managed to install a frame stiffener this weekend and ran into a couple of issues with it. I wonder if anyone else has installed one and found the same problems?

The stiffener is the one from IAP.

1. Holes for the trailing arms not lining up?
2. No torque specs at all.
3. Alignment off once the kit is installed

On the good side: WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Even with a mis-alignment you can tell the frame is stiffer!

Thanks,
Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to ecohen2 Send a message via Yahoo to ecohen2 Send a message via Skype™ to ecohen2
Ok, new question... Am I the only person on this site that has installed the frame stiffener?

Do you know what you are missing?

Ed
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

If you use the "search" function, you will find lots of conversation regarding the frame stiffener. Personally, I'm waiting to install one on my '91 Spider, and am very happy to hear of your positive results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecohen2
Ok, new question... Am I the only person on this site that has installed the frame stiffener?

Do you know what you are missing?

Ed

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:21 PM

Ed:
You can call Don Ereminas, he & his son Mark Ereiminas designed & build the frame stiffeners & sell to Centerline & IAP, as well as selling them themselves. Don is in Conn. & advertises every month in the Alfa Owner. Mark makes them out here in Portland, Oregon.

They do make a very nice difference, very noticable to everyone I know who has installed them. Everyone who's installed them agrees it was a worthwhile addition in terms of money and time involved.

Torque specs. would be the same as the stock spec. for trailing arms and steering boxes, whatever your manual calls for, for your year.

The frames on most Alfas are probably off, some folks have installed with no issues whatever, I had to pry to get the trailing arm holes to line up. The stiffeners themselves do not vary, they are built on a very substantial jig with no chance of any variance.

Anytime you R & R any suspension or steering related components, you usually change the alignment a bit & should always get it checked. Hard to put things back together in the exact places they were removed.

Are you on the Yahoo Scorp. group? I've seen you post on Lancisti, can't remember if you are on Yahoo. I have a '76 Scorp as well, in the last third of an extensive resto-mod. It's been up on jackstands for over 2 years now, I'm itching to get it back on the road.

Bruce

Last edited by Jr. Z; 03-15-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'm with Jr.Z on the prying, jacking, influencing. I have installed a stiffner on a previous spider, very noticable difference. Don't tighten anything until a fasteners are threaded. I'd use the Alfa torque specs for all the factory fasteners.
solve problems, learn something new!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:50 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Mine had no trouble with the holes lining up (which is the exception rather than the rule, according to my mechanic) but I did need an align after putting it in.

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
Old 03-16-2006, 03:32 AM

Hey Bruce,

I am the Scorp guy as well....

Thanks for the info... I still get the steering wheel shutter every so often, but the car does seem stiffer overall.

Working on a couple of other issues before I can tell what is wrong.

Ed
Old 03-18-2006, 05:35 AM

Say, any chance of some photos of an installed stiffener? It's something I'd like to do in the (fairly far off) future.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan
Say, any chance of some photos of an installed stiffener? It's something I'd like to do in the (fairly far off) future.

Yeah sure! Ill take some today and post them for you....

Ed
Old 03-18-2006, 09:18 PM

Thumbs up photos of Spider frame stiffener installed

I took these a week or so back right after I had the stiffener installed on my '84 spider...
Name:  Resize of 133_3396.JPG
Views: 2403
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  Resize of 133_3382.JPG
Views: 1889
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  Resize of 133_3391.JPG
Views: 1874
Size:  44.3 KB

Attachment 33592
I've only had a couple of drives in her due to weather but the difference is remarkable. My girlfriend was laughing at me as she followed me home from the shop as I was weaving back and forth (industrial road, no traffic) reveling in how connected the chassis now feels. I feel like I can finally take advantage of the 205/50/16 tires . I guess I was also one of the lucky ones as my mechanic said that he was surpised at how easily this one bolted on compared to how difficult some have been in the past. Much respect to Mr. Ereminas and son for such a well designed and much appreciated improvement for our spiders.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 AM

That looks great, Green Dragon. I'd also love to see how the 16" wheels look on your car. How is the steering with those?

That's an especially clean underbody... I'd like to get mine half that clean.

I really like the idea of the chassis stiffener... but how is the ride? Stiffer? I guess it's hard to compare given your upsized wheels...
Old 03-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

I've read that the reason not all stiffener holes lining up correctly is that the chassis has already been slightly tweaked from use and that where the vehicle is jacked up can make a difference (testiment I guess to the difference a stiffener can make to these 'flexible flyers' ).

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 03-19-2006, 07:35 AM

Ok, I have a question... Did you cut your wheel well liner or is it tucked under the plate?
Old 03-19-2006, 06:13 PM

ecohen,
I have an '84 spider veloce with no wheel well liner. Am I missing them or do you have a later model spider which may have liners?

Hooligan,
I actually consider the bottom of my spider to be pretty dirt right now as I haven't had a chance to steam clean it. In my youth I worked for Rolls Royce as a deatailer and learned to be maybe a bit too anal about cleanliness... to the point that we used to steam clean and detail the spare tire.

The 16" wheels can be seen on my car and others at the link below. My car is the 4th-6th photo down from the top as well as the last photo, the night shot.
http://www.serpentautosport.com/type...ry_spiders.htm

You are right that the tires already made for a stiffer ride as well as the suspension modifications. The chassis stiffener can still be felt as a substantial improvement. Going over bumps, dips, or railroad tracks, you can feel the car respond as a unit to the irregularity versus before it felt like the front would judder and then the rear a moment later. I would go so far as to say that it was the best modification so far. I went for a spirited drive today and surprised myself at how much I was now able to exploit the grip gained by the front tires. Before, with the grippy Toyo T1R's, I really felt like I was going to twist the frame if I fully exploited the grip.

I also noticed that when setting up into a corner, it holds the set and attitude right through the apex instead of requiring constant steering changes for each and every bump. I surprised myself by being able to hold onto the tail of a 300ZX twin turbo for several miles of windy mountain road. He could only open distance when there was a good straight and then I was all over him during the next corner.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:04 PM

Talking nothing like.....

anoying a more powerfull car in the twisty, i live for that, chasing corvettes, 911, mustangs, occ. ferrari. easy to out run ricers, those kids dont know how to drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.