Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Knocking Problem

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  josh vader 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to these boards and I recently bought a 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. I got a decent deal on it, the only problem is when I make turns at a speed above 20 mph a knocking sound comes from the drive shaft as if its vibrating. It also occurs when I downshift. Does any one know what this problem could be? Thanks.

#2 ·
Hi mate the problem could be a gearbox mount gone mushy from exposure to oil. I'd look at that first. Regards John

#3 · (Edited)
The trans mount is one place to start but there is more!!

Just after the trans, there is a rubber donut called a Guibo that can go bad, then there is the center bearing and then finally some universal joints. You need to get the car up on a lift to inspect all of these parts and maybe listen to the rear axle bearings and the read diff. While up on the lift, change the oil in the trans to the proper type Redline NS gear oil. Change the rear diff oil too.

Check this out:

http://www.international-auto.com/video/player.cfm?file=rebuilding_driveshaft.flv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.