V8 engine swap - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 AM

V8 engine swap

What has to be done to the front suspension to support a ford v8 engine swap

thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...69-spider.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM

And here's another link for you:-

Tarring and feathering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't read it all but there may be some advice on how to get it off which could be useful...

Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Springs

I would suggest 1100 lb inch springs 9.5 inch long 5 inch diameter.
"you don`t have to listen, but you won`t win the argument"!
"Nothing that I might suggest will be legal in California"
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

What I did..........

Picture is of my 1971 Spider/Ford 302 V-8 known as the "Italian Stallion" taken at Coronado vintage races this year. It's been on the road since 1996 with over 60,000 miles of successful (and may I say) FUN driving. IAP red springs, IAP poly bushings, Koni yellow shocks set on full hard front, 30% back. Ten years ago re-enforced upper castor arm ball joint mounting plate. That's it. This car is well known among Alfisti in San Diego and well respected. Good luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by alfasax; 10-31-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasax View Post
Picture is of my 1971 Spider/Ford 302 V-8 known as the "Italian Stallion" taken at Coronado vintage races this year. It's been on the road since 1996 with over 60,000 miles of successful (and may I say) FUN driving. IAP red springs, IAP poly bushings, Koni yellow shocks set on full hard front, 30% back. Ten years ago re-enforced upper castor arm ball joint mounting plate. That's it. This car is well known among Alfisti in San Diego and well respected. Good luck.
I also have had those late night fantasies about a V8 in my Spider and it looked exactly like yours! Well, it might have been black. LOL Very nice, and looks like it would be a hoot to drive. Guess I'll have to watch the classifieds to see if you ever get bored with it...

Steve, 84 Spider
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM

I have never been a big fan of the V8 spider, but I have always fantasized about a spider sporting a Pontiac Solstice motor and about 260 bhp. Now, if only I would win the lottery.

Last edited by Forzaguy; 10-31-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzaguy View Post
I have never been a big fan of the V8 spider, but I have always fantasized about a spider sporting a Pontiac Solstice motor and about 260 bhp. Now, if only I would win the lottery.
Or perhaps an Oldsmobile Quad 4 engine! Only 190bhp but I bet it would fit better and there are quite a few performance mods around. Pontiac actually put it in a Fiero just before they scrapped the Fiero because it appealed to the younger crowd who couldn't afford to insure it...
Old 10-31-2012, 01:13 PM

Alfasax....HOLY **** that is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Back then my hands worked but couldnt find parts. Not I can find parts but the arthritis gets in the way...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the kind words! It's been a neat project. The car is engineered well and drives like you'd expect, i.e. it needs to be manhandled. You are not going to drive this like a 1966 Duetto, but then again, that was not the point. I owned Sunbeam Tigers before this, and after I got my first Spider, a hybrid of the two became an obsession. So.....next project is going to be a 2002 Crown Vic police car dressed like a Italian Carabinieri Alfa. Will this madness never end?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the info, im looking for an aluminum block 302 that will help a little also
i guess its a go.
Thanks again
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Nice ride alfasax.

Hal, if it were me, and I had to do a swap, I'd would first fit an alfa 2.5 or 3.0 v6 from the GTV6 or 75 range....this powerpant rocks and is all aluminum and sohc.
If I had to have a v8, Id go with the ex-buick Rover v8 in 3.9litre form..all aluminum about 300lbs and makes a lot of power. It will fit in the alfa.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Farmer
Gold Subscriber

You guys are sick...

...in a good way.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 PM

alfasax,
how about some pics of the engine bay? did you do a manual or an auto trans?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 PM

Hal, if you go with a Ford 302, forget about an aluminum block; if there are any they are aftermarket and very expensive! Go with a 1987 and up roller cam block and some good aluminum heads. You'll need a rear-sump oil pan from an early Bronco or '79-'84 Econoline or F-150.

Still, why not keep it all Alfa? You can make the 2.0 produce good power, and it won't be a nose-heavy understeering pig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.