1988 Spider Veloce Electric Fan Problem - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Cool 1988 Spider Veloce Electric Fan Problem

The car has a crank driven fan and in front of the radiator an electrical fan. The electric fan used to run for a short period after the engine was turned off. I noticed it is no longer running and there is a strange beeping type noise that seems to be about mid engine. Any idea what is going on? Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timplaza View Post
The electric fan used to run for a short period after the engine was turned off.
Are you sure? I don't have a lot of experience running my AC, but I thought the fan only turned on with the AC and engine running? I've never heard mine cycle after shutdown.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 AM

Positive. Again at the same time as I noticed the fan not running it began making a strange beeping sound that seems to come from around the injection system after I turn the engine off. Just can't figure it out. The beeping sound happens after the engine has been running and is up to temp.

Last edited by Timplaza; 05-23-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM

I believe the fan relay is mounted on the right hand fender apron where you hear the noise. Look for a small black plastic box about 1" square. Could just be a bad relay - give it a wack or find a replacement using the Bosch part number found somewhere on the part.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks. I will check this.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Sounds like two different issues (but maybe not).

The electric fan not only runs when the A/C is on but will also come on if the air temperature sensor (top right corner of the fan shroud) reaches setpoint and turns on the cooldown relay. This can happen even when the engine is off and the key removed. Since the fan no longer runs after engine shutdown, it may be as simple as the engine bay temp is not high enough. Or it could be the sensor or the cooldown relay are bad.

The beeping (screeching?) noise may be fuel being bled back to the tank through the fuel pressure regulator (which it should NOT do). This can be checked with a fuel pressure gauge installed in the fuel rail.
OTOH, if the electric fan is not working, the fuel may be boiling after engine shutdown. The pressure increase may then be forcing fuel past the regulator resulting in the beeping.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks. I checked the relay as suggested in the previous thread. It is the relay that is making the beeping sound. I will replace the relay and see if that does the trick.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I will replace the relay and see if that does the trick.
While you're searching for a replacement, try wacking the original with a screwdriver handle, they like that.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 PM

Thanks Fritz. I gave it several good wacks. It just beeped like an angry bird. I think it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks Fritz. I gave it several good wacks. It just beeped like an angry bird. I think it needs to be replaced.
Made you feel better though, didn't it?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM

It did. I changed the relay today. The beeping stopped. Unfortunately the fan still did not come on. Another suggestions? I may have to replace the fan and the gizzmo on top of the radiator.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 AM

Sorry to hear the relay didn't do it for you. It may have failed due to another problem. Does the fan blade spin freely? Is there a small animal stuck in it? If it's OK, does it run with the AC turned on and engine running?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Please keep in mind that there are two fan relays. The auxiliary fan relay powers the fan when the A/C is turned on. The cooldown relay powers the fan when underhood temps exceed x temperature. The fan power circuit through both relays comes through an in-line 20 amp fuse that is attached to the junction block (left inner fender).

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 AM

WOW your right. I found the fuse. It is a 30 amp. It not only blew, it also melted the fuse holder. Wonder what caused that? My guess is someone put a 30 Amp fuse where there should have been a 20 Amp. I will replace the holder and put a 20 amp in and see what happens. Thanks for the great advise.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 AM

I replaced the fuse holder and put in a 20 Amp fuse. I am happy to say, the fan is spinning. My thanks to all of you who helped. This is my first fix at less than $20.00.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.