What can I say - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

What can I say

Hi all,

I received an enormous amount of advice on this forum at the end of last year. See http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...ng-engine.html

I somewhat surprised myself and took the advice to be patient, a charateristic with which i am not blessed!

Awhile ago, the person who services my present Alfas (159s) advised that he knew of one belonging to another client of his which was in a good condition and that was hardly ever used. To cut a long story short, I made contact with this other person and today took ownership of the car. I have not stopped smiling since! Unfortunately, the car is not here with me. Because it has not been used much, I have taken it to have all its fluids etc checked. Cannot wait to get it back. Had a lovely drive in it today though.

I know that threads are useless without photos so here are a few. Not the best from scenery point of view (at the garage where it is being serviced) but then since when did a boat tail need scenery!

I know the car is not perfect but the body is in very good condition and mechanically it is great. All the electrics work, even the courtesy light in the mirror. Faults that I am aware of include the absence of an ashtray, carpets instead of rubber mats, no light in the engine compartment, etc. None of these look like insurmountable issues.

I am trying to find out some more history on the car. According to Alfa's records, the car was originally sky blue and was supplied to the UK in the first half of 1969. I have been able to find out that the car was painted its present avorio (ivory) colour in about 1989/90 from a hand written note in the file given to me with the car today.

The file shows that the car had registration number AAF 750 J in the UK and was owned in the early 1980s by a Mr. Barbagallo. Later it was owned by Giancarlo Cossu and then by Gareth and Lesley Robinson. The latter two owners entered the car in The UK's Alfa club's concours competitions for a number of years.

It appears that the car was imported into Australia by the then-UK owner in 2002.

Incidentally, in the last photo, the Lancia in front of my car (it sounds unbelievable to say that) also belonged to the person I bought the Spider from and is now owned by the person who services my cars. It is in magnificent condition.

I am looking forward to many happy years of Spider ownership!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 AM

looks a great purchase in lovely condition!......and owned by a Mrs Robinson too!

I love those little fulvias (looks like a ca. 68-70 HF, in "Giallo HF"?)

Last edited by spiderserie4; 05-04-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
looks a great purchase in lovely condition!......and owned by a Mrs Robinson too!

never thought of that!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Beutiful car, but you've got the negative reversed as the driver's seat is on the wrong side in the photos.

Do I detect evidence of a reshoot of the color at some point?
eg: missing hood lamp but mounting hole drilled, color difference between wing and engine bay sidewall RF area, body colored monkey pee nozzle
ghnl's '82~'89/Series 3 Spider L~jet diagnostic page
as hosted by
Greg Gordon's HI Performance Store
& OK Injectors
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Congratulations on a great find. I am happy that you were able to withstand the painful process of waiting for the right car.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Congratulations on a great find. I am happy that you were able to withstand the painful process of waiting for the right car and didn't have to suffer the agony of not having finances on hand to grab it when it came up.
Fixed it for you
ghnl's '82~'89/Series 3 Spider L~jet diagnostic page
as hosted by
Greg Gordon's HI Performance Store
& OK Injectors
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Nice one Charles, looks great !!
I've an original avorio boot which will end up med/sky blue ... The natural Alfa worl balances itself

I suspect the bonnet is drilled for the light as it's original, I've seen them available on eBay etc, easy fix. I'd put the colour differences down to the indoor camera exposure, just thank christ it's not red!

Sill lines below the doors? Mine are leaded, so they've either been repaired or our Alfa history wrong(junior thing?)
Looks like a great car, good job!!

What's a monkey pee nozzle, I've looked.. and I thought i knew these cars pretty well

Last edited by Craig_m67; 05-04-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Berman View Post
the car is not perfect ...... Faults that I am aware of include the absence of an ashtray,....
Congratulations on your new roundtail!

Unless you are a smoker, I'd recommend forgetting the ashtray. The lids buzz and rattle when they're closed (and if you aren't smoking, why leave them open?).

"Perfection" can be overrated

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
...The lids buzz and rattle when they're closed (and if you aren't smoking, why leave them open?).
Mine doesn't. Oh, my car isn't on the road. That must explain it.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
What a cracking little motor...great find, I hope you enjoy miles and miles together. A great garage companion for the 159...'though I doubt this will spend much time resting in there ! Got to be my favourite Duetto thus far....seriously jealous !

Last edited by garwood1; 05-04-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Well if you do want an ashtray including the "box" there is one here :

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Old 05-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks all for your kind comments. Really impatient now to get it home.
1971 Giulia 1300 Super Verde

Gone:
1975 Alfasud 1200ti
2006 159 V6 Q4
Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLofa View Post
Well if you do want an ashtray including the "box" there is one here :

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Thanks for that. Looks like he only posts locally. I have sent a message but have not heard anything.
1971 Giulia 1300 Super Verde

Gone:
1975 Alfasud 1200ti
2006 159 V6 Q4
Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 AM

lighter looks wrong though on that, doesn't it.............? I thought it had one of those lovely brico pram "pop the ciggy in the hole" lighters?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:19 AM

You are correct, it should have a brico pram lighter. Here's a picture of a duetto ashtray from an ebay auction - it sold for $395 US. If you can find the housing, I have an extra ashtray (but not the duetto housing) with a brico lighter that I'd be willing to sell. It isn't as nice as the one in the picture, but could be polished. I don't know if the lighter I have works or could be made to work. Spruell sells the brico lighter here in the US, but I think its pricey.
Attached Images

[I]'74 Green Spider
'79 Bronze Spider (gone but not forgotten) [/I]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.