Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Completely Scraping New Paint Job Off: Heartbreaking!

13K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  Velocemoto 
#1 ·
It has to all come off, brand new paint job and Ive got moisture under it creating bubbles. Purchased the car a couple of years ago as a restored shell that had been painted and a whole lot of boxes, it all looked pretty **** good then. Over the last 2 years the imperfections have got steadily worse to a state where I wasnt happy with it. Just finished assembling it and thought "right, I better get the imperfections sorted" On investigating it, its the whole paint job, not just the visible imperfections. Oh well, scrape and sand it down to bare metal. Should have that sorted out in a night or so and cost no more than a couple of Lira. Tui

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Mwahhh!!

I like a perfectionist. How'd the moisture get under the paint?
Can I also take the opportunity to get the paint code/mix.. If you purchase/mix more

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about the problem...has to be frustrating but your doing the right thing in getting right to business to fix it.

But I have a question, why do you have to take it down to bare metal? Do you need to remove the fillers (bondo)too?

#9 ·
Not sure on the cause

I have no recourse on the painter as I purchased it all ready painted, and I dont actually know who painted it. As for the cause, I beleive the type of high build primer that was used (and has subsequently been withdrawn from the market due to problems with moisture) asorbed moisture before the top coat was applied. Once applied it sealed the moisture in. Lesson is to either use a paint oven or dont paint in humud/damp conditions. Think the technology has moved on but Im a bit scared it might happen again. I would shoot myself if if did

#14 ·
PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!, After 2 1/2 Years

Well since I initially posted this thread a lot has happened, just a shame it wasn't all on the Spider. My integrale got crashed into and destroyed, Got a 147 GTA, another baby appeared, finished doing the house up, changed jobs, sold house and bought another, had the spider half done at one painters and then had to find another one due to their lack of motivation to finish it and sort of learned how to half manage stress. Anyway looks as though I will get it back from the painters before Christmas

Attachments

#23 ·
Hi all, my name's John and i've taken over the job of paint & panel on Marks Alfa.

Mark hasn't told or shown you a fraction of the work involved in 'fixing' the poor thing. But it will be done properly now and will look fantastic.

I've got LOTS of pic's of progress (I'm shocking when it comes to work i'm doing as i take hundreds of pic's, actually maybe a good thing as customer has a record).

Will post some pic's if Mark gives me the ok.

Well since I initially posted this thread a lot has happened, just a shame it wasn't all on the Spider. My integrale got crashed into and destroyed, Got a 147 GTA, another baby appeared, finished doing the house up, changed jobs, sold house and bought another, had the spider half done at one painters and then had to find another one due to their lack of motivation to finish it and sort of learned how to half manage stress. Anyway looks as though I will get it back from the painters before Christmas
Geez Mark, ya could've posted a pic' without all the smoke butts on the floor LOL

Are you staying blue? I love the colour of your car and would like to know the details (paint codes etc) if you're happy to share.
Craig
Craig, the car is staying blue. It's a very nice colour in person. Unfortunately we have no idea what it is so i had to find one that is close, so i ended up with Audi Sepangblau, code LY5Q. It's a 99% match to what's on the car now.

Hi

Would you mind explaining the process that you used for removing the paint? I would really like to do this to my car prior to having it painted.

Thanks
rooony, I used a 'strip-it' disc on a grinder. They're great for removing paint as they don't heat the panel and are a lot cleaner than using paint stripper.

#15 ·
It's funny how life has a habit of getting in the way :)

Are you staying blue? I love the colour of your car and would like to know the details (paint codes etc) if you're happy to share.

Kind regards and congrats on child #2
Craig

#16 ·
Staying with the blue

As I'm only doing to outside I'm staying with the blue, and I actually really like it. Couldn't identify exactly what it was but as the whole exterior is being painted it does not actually matter. The "new" blue is very close but unsure on the code at the moment but can/will find out

#18 · (Edited)
At least you are taking the time to do it right. Do you now the original color? I am not very knowledgable on the earlier Alfa spiders, but wondering if that deep blue was an original Alfa color. Is the color code sticker still under the trunk lid? if so, what is it?

Best wishes, Robert

1988 AR550 Russo red quad.

#21 ·
Paint removal methods

I simply used a hot air gun and scraper and scraped it off with very low temperature. It then went to the panel beaters so I am unsure on what further prep he did to bring it back to bare clean metal as shown in the recent photos.

#32 ·
same here, and same question. mostly just chips and a few dings. original lacquer paint still shines nicely, but is it more of a problem to remove lacquer?

I would , like OP, remove all the trim myself.

About how much does that cost to do, roughly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.