1984 Alfa spider heater fan motor - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Post 1984 Alfa spider heater fan motor

Okay got the car back from the repair guy now to the next project.

My fan motor is not working for the heater I have loosend it up and the light in the bezel comes on when I hit the switch. I checked the connections and there is power going to the two yellow leads up front and there is a blue and a red lead both also have power once the key is turned.

The fan is unstuck but does not operate it rotates but i do not hear any buzzing or nothing when I hit the switch is there something im missing?

Is there another switch fuse ground that I have look for I have not seen it on the schematic Papa Jam sent me

any help would be appreciated and any pics

Angel
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Is there a good ground? You've reached in and given the blades a spin?
Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Yes I have given the fan a good spin where is the ground located
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Should come off the fan motor and go to the tunnel or dash somewhere; may have been changed if the console has been out for clutch job, etc. You'll need to track down where it goes. Maybe it was never reconnected.
Someone more familiar than me with Bosch Spiders may be able to pinpoint the normal location.
Andrew
Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

If you have power to the connector on the left side of the heater unit (yellow & yellow/black for the two speeds IIRC) and the fan is not seized (will spin if nudged through the right side floor vent) then I'd suspect the ground connection. There is a black wire that goes up to the underside of the dash. The dash is then grounded by its connections to the body. Either of those connections (or both...) can be faulty. I ran a dedicated ground wire from the connection at the underside of the dash to the body.
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

L-jetronic Spider diagnosis (1982-1989)
L-jetronic V-6 diagnosis
OK injectors - fuel injector cleaning
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks eric can you give me an idea where this black wire is located so many wires and if i can get the general idea where it is located then i can do this
Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 PM

in my car if you lie down in the passenger footwell and look up under the dash its there and you will see it
Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Okay guys found the ground wire checked the switch and that works seems like the ground wire is behind the glove box its attached do u think it could be a bad ground and I have a volt meter is there any way to check with the volt meter at the switch to see if it is grounded correctly or am I going have to pull the glove box out.
Do u think the fan itself is bad is there any way to test that before I pull it
Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

To test the fan you could try jumping 12V directly to it. There is a red & blue wire (one for slow speed, the other for less-slow speed) plus the above mentioned black wire. Attach the black wire to 12V- & either the red or blue (but not both) to 12V+ and see if it runs. If it does then the blower motor is OK and the problem lies elsewhere. If it does not run then the blower motor is kaput.
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

L-jetronic Spider diagnosis (1982-1989)
L-jetronic V-6 diagnosis
OK injectors - fuel injector cleaning
Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Thanks work on it soon now I have to button everything up getting dark no garage dam sometimes winter sucks gets dark early at least my home has a car port

Angel
Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 AM

GHNL's advice holds water (just like the fan motor housing I've just fixed). Follow his advice and let's hope it works.

If not then remember: Kaput doesn't always mean KAPUT.

My heater radiator "popped" a while back and dumped water everywhere. One of the places water collected was in the plastic motor housing (no holes to allow drainage). The water sat there for a few weeks and corroded my fan motor badly.

I stripped the dash, removed the housing, removed the motor and started stripping. I eventually manage to free the seized motor but the brushes were stuck solid (the springs had rusted and disintegrated). The springs are held in place by small spring-steel clips which can be gently prized off.

I "wiggled" and lubricated the brushes and they eventually slipped free. Some new springs from my junk drawer fitted nicely and the fan now works perfectly.

Before replacing everything I drilled a few holes in the bottom of the housing to allow water to escape should the radiator ever blow again.

The radiator has since been repaired by the local radiator repair place (at a cost of $3,00). It turns out one of the solder joints failed. It's nice to know there are really honest mechanics out here (Cape Town).

Present - '81 Spider
Past - "73 2000GTV 105 series
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM

if you still have the fan motor out, could you please tell me the fan diamentions. hightx with?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.