Alfa Romeo Forums banner

New project! '73 Alfa Spider

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Steve Ray 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up this one today:

It's a factory 514 Rosso red car with one very old repaint; you could say it has patina. Good news is the outer body has no apparent rust and the floors so far aren't terrible, though there are a few holes that need to be patched. The previous owner, not really an Alfa guy, put a new vinyl top on it but the fit is kinda so-so. The interior is OK; I think it was reupholstered at one time with a very heavy leather-grain vinyl that you'd might find on a school bus! It looks tidy and professionally done and also very old. It has a full set of rubber mats in decent shape.

I have my work cut out for me. It's been sitting for so long the brakes are stuck, and the front suspension is really bad! I intend to do much of the work myself at the Ft. Lewis Auto Hobby shop; I don't think I'd tackle this without a lift. It runs ok but I may need a new SPICA pump.

See less See more
#2 ·
congrats, looks like a nice project! keep the pictures coming!

#4 ·
Congrats Steve on your new project. Looks very workable.
I'll look forward to seeing it and you at some NWARC events sometime soon.
If you need a SPICA pump, of course you know where in Washington to get one, right?

Have fun!!

#5 ·
Yes Gordy I do! I'll have to rejoin the NWARC too. I used to attend the meetings regularly when I had my last Spider. And thanks Davo for identifying the wheels. They do have "Made in England" cast into them but I couldn't find the brand. I'm not wild about them and will probably sell them along with the aftermarket steering wheel. They do look good on your GTV though; they clean up nice. I found a nice stock wood rim steering wheel locally. I can't wait to get started.

#6 ·
My progress so far..

Front suspension mostly done

New gas tank and all new lines

Pressed out sway bar bushings. It wasn't easy.

All new brake lines. Scored an NOS proportioning valve cheap on the bay

Still have to fix the floor rust

On the lift. Thank dog I don't have to lay on my back to work on this

#9 · (Edited)
The "brand" was "100+"mags...not a lot of info on them..but they were bought/absorbed years ago. Like you, no center caps...I'm guessing getting a diameter of the center and a good tire shop can figure something out. For some reason, I really like the look of these. Everyone has a fetish..). The set on my 69 I had laser lathe the surface after powdercoating black. Low maintaince and look purty..).

The rebuild looks like your making headway..Always admire people that can do the rust work.

Update of sorts... 100+ Made in England. 'Octavio'. Popular in early 70's sports cars, drove into oblivion apparently. ) Found this on a wheel site.. The car a 'Nostalgia Japanese Car' from the same years...

Attachments

#10 ·
Yes, those are the 100+ Made in England wheels. They were probably stuck on there by a dealer or distributor prior to Alfa offering their own turbina wheels in 1974. I can't use them since I lowered the car and the front tires rubbed; I think the offset is different. So I went to black steelies for now.

Too bad, they are remarkably light. I'll offer them for sale if anyone's interested. No center caps.

#11 ·
Thanks for the info. I've managed to acquire a set of turbinas I'm going to clean up, powder coat, and get new center caps for. The 100+ wheels are definitely a bit lighter, but I just don't care for open hubs. Now, if I could find somebody who could fabricate a protruding center hub that would accept a 48mm center cap... Maybe put it on behind the wheel, now that would be sweet.

#12 ·
Pulled the dash and heater box today. This is a job I was dreading.

Mouse nest in the heater box. This has caused all sorts of corrosion and rot.

The blower motor. Seized so solid I can't even turn the fan by hand. Years of mouse piss raining down from above did this.

Mouse piss ruined the heater core too.

This is not from my colonoscopy. It's one of the fresh air ducts going from the air intake plenum at the base of the windshield to the dash vents. Now a mouse Habitrail.

That crap was in the cowl vent too.

I'm a little worried that I'll never get it back together.

#13 ·
I had similar issues with the 74 I am working on. Not quite as significant as yours though but close. Washed everything down with disinfectant soap, really hot water, scrub brushes, scrub pads and rubber gloves. I used very hot water and several applications. When I was finished I used a strong detergent, Marine Clean, and my power washer and hit all of the grille intake areas and cowl areas by the wiper assembly. It's a big job and I ended up taking the wiper assmbly out to get at the area.

I was glad I did as I found the motor was shot on the wipers and needed replacing.

After it was all cleaned, scrubbed and sanded, I primed it with an epoxy primer. Came out great. Will install new drain tubes for the cowl.

The heater assembly and core was cleaned the same way except for the pressure washing. Had the heater core tested, it was good. I repainted all of the assembly parts including the hardware before I reassembled it. The plastic vents and air channels were just washed until very clean.

It is a job that is worth your time to complete. Problem is all of the "while I am there" tasks. Might as well do them now.

Keep us posted.

#14 · (Edited)
The steel frame on the heater core is totally rusted away, and the flaps on the heater box aren't much better. I couldn't even move the fresh air vents on the dash because of the rust. All done by mice. The only thing not shot is the heater valve, because no one tried to force it when it got stuck. Someone did try to force the flaps and bent them.

Now that I have the dash out, can anyone recommend a good crack filler?

#17 ·
Motor mount change:

I took both mounts out at the same time which was a mistake. The engine shifted to one side and I had to wrestle it back into position to get the mounts in place.

Right side was a royal pain. How DID they run those nuts down on the assembly line? It took spinning the nut with the blade of a screwdriver plus turning the wrench a hair at a time because that's all the space you have in there.

New fan. The old one was eggshell-brittle and the blades snapped off in my fingers.

The radiator is at a local shop getting cleaned and pressure tested.

#18 ·
I hate to tell you this Steve but you are in a classic case of what is known as "Mission Creep". To put it simple it goes like this: you pull off a part that looks like crap and fix it all up and when you go to bolt it back on it makes everything else around it look like crap :shuriken:

Am I right?

BTDT

#19 ·
New trans mount. The old one came out easy; the new one was a motherfletcher to get in.

I scored a vintage Audiovox radio identical to the one that was in my first Alfa that I bought in '88.

I pulled that one out and tossed it in a dumpster when I was in the Navy; I felt bad doing so but I wanted a cassette player. I felt worse when I first listened to said cassette player; it sounded like crap!

Restored wheel and vintage YOM license plate:

New exhaust system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.