Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Custom Aluminum Radiators

23K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  Umbi 
#1 ·
I am starting this thread to document the installation of a prototype High Performance Aluminum Radiator. I set out to design and have built a custom radiator which would be robust enough to withstand the brutal heat that a Texas summer can bring and still provide sufficient cooling for an engine with a substantially higher power output than a stock 2L spider engine.

The basis of this improved performance is a 2.75 inch thick double pass cross flow design. This is a departure from the standard spider radiator which was a down flow in all the spiders until 1990. The inlet an outlet of the radiator needed to both be on the same side which dictated that the radiator become a double pass radiator. The right tank is a split tank and the left tank contains an added bonus an oil cooler. The benefit of putting the cooler in the tank as opposed to having a separate heat exchange is that you do not obstruct your airflow to the radiator itself and with the increased capacity of the 2.75in thick core there is no worry of taxing the cool system.

These are couple pictures of the prototype that is getting put into my fathers 1978 spider. The mounting tabs are have since been finished since these pictures were taken. I have also have one in my spider which is currently in pieces as I prepare to install a turbocharger.

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
Hmm, what am I missing here ?

Last summer my 88 Grad was running hot so pulled the radiator and took it to a local shop. I had it re cored for $400.00. Since then I have never had a problem, even in temps in the low 90's.

In fact, the radiator cools so well that my temp gage typically cycles as the thermostat opens and closes. The only time the engine temp stabilized was when it was in the low 90's and then it held a rock solid 180 degrees and showed no inclination to go any higher.

So my question is, why the need or desire for a $550.00 radiator that requires modifications to install ?

#53 · (Edited)
What you're missing

110 degree southern heat in the shade (or more).

The 1600 radiator has less capacity than the 1750/2000 radiator. I had increased temps in my 2 liter conversion sporting a 1600 radiator (post radiator shop).That's why my TS/2000 conversion will have an oil cooler and larger capacity.

#54 ·
Radiators

Ie is very easy to adapt aftermarket radiators from major builders like Griffith etc. Ebay is full of them with sizes and outlet positions.
Just have to be a bit handy.

Below is a Griffith fitted in a Spider opening for the Montreal engine.
The Oil cooler is a double flow Griffith motorcycle radiator.

Attachments

#56 ·
I appreciate all the interest in these radiators.

I do not really have time to coordinate a group buy anytime soon as I am in the process of designing and building a house.

I spent quite a bit of time doing research and also a good bit of money having prototypes made before finalizing the design before the last group buy so I am hesitant to release the design or manufacture information. I have had a few of my designs duplicated by other BB members and sold for profit without my permission.

If somebody will coordinate the group buy, collect money from other buyers and just send me the final quantity and money I may be willing to consider doing that. I would be willing to contact my manufacture and see what kind of pricing they would be willing to offer as I'm sure it will have increased since the last buy.

Alex

#57 ·
Hi Alex

That's too bad. Sounds like an experience I had with a good cook. I admired her biscotti and asked for the recipe. She got a weird look and said no. Later when she was moving back to Italy told me a story about a recipe she gave out and the other lady took all the compliments, but never gave her credit (right in front of her). She liked me I guess and gave me the recipe anyway.
Those biscotti are still good.

I might be willing but ask the shop what they'd charge for a run. Where do you live in Texas?

#58 ·
Griffin Radiator

thanks for the info. looks like a good alternative, what size is this radiator?
Here`s a cut & paste from my thread on the car:

Cooling system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I eliminated the common thermostat housing/breather/oil separator that was fed by both heads in order to lower the front motor height, (as it was the tallest part), I installed individual thermostats from both heads into dual inlets welded into the radiator tank. The radiator is a Griffin 24" x 16", 4 row that should be plenty big for a (huge) little 160 cubic inch engine. Anticipated power output is expected to be about 270-275 HP and 240 lbft Tq. The 2 thermostat housings are Yamaha R1 pieces.

The oil will be cooled before going to the trunk mounted dry sump tank. The cooler is a Griffin 16'" x 10", 4 row, dual pass, motorcycle radiator that has 3/4 inlet and outlets that will be mounted in front of the radiator. Using a "water" radiator isn`t a problem pressure wise as oil from the scavenge pump is only under nominal pressure since it only will be flowing through the radiator and the lines, then dumping with no restriction into the dry sump tank. The hose type slip on inlets fittings will be cut off and welded closed. -10 AN aeroquip fittings will be welded in place for the oil lines.

#61 ·
Richard, would your oil cooler work with conventional 2L system or is there too much pressure for the hoses to handle? My drive train set up is nowhere as exotic as yours, so perhaps a conventional oil cooler would work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.