UUUggh. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 08-26-2003, 08:33 AM

Thumbs down UUUggh.

I just spoke with the only Alfa mechanic in town, he's closing shop this week.

Bummer..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 10:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to zkalsent
You too? Dino is sure going to be missed. Do you know of any trustworthy alternatives? He recommended Peter Kraus in Raleigh, but that is a little far.

A sad day indeed.

Sold my beloved Alfa:
1986 Spider Veloce
121,000+ miles

I promise myself that I will own another someday...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:43 AM

I was hoping you'd know someone.

I'm getting an oil change at 2PM from dino, I'll try to see if he knows anyone better locally.

I better go ahead and get used to the idea of doing alot of work on my own.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:04 AM

Yeah, let me know if Dino suggests anything closer. I'm also trying to compile a list of alternates... BTW, do you know Jeff Olson (lives in Davidson)?

Sold my beloved Alfa:
1986 Spider Veloce
121,000+ miles

Old 08-26-2003, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zkalsent
Yeah, let me know if Dino suggests anything closer. I'm also trying to compile a list of alternates... BTW, do you know Jeff Olson (lives in Davidson)?
No, but I emailed him once. I just bought this car - I almost bought an '83 Spider he was selling in May or June.

Does he work on Alfas that aren't his own?

Do you know Scott betzold?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:17 PM

I work with Scott. Small world.

I just talked with Jeff (I bought my car from him)... He suggested a couple of places:

1) PAS @ 321 W. Palmer St near uptown. He said they have a great mechanic that knows ALFAs, but they're pricey. 704-332-9845. He also said the owner can be a jerk (but as long as the mechanic is cool, then no problem, right?). I think tis is where I'll be headed in the future, as I live/work near uptown...

2) Sports Car Authority in Mathews. Scott also mentioned this place to me.

Let me know if you hear anything else. -Z

Sold my beloved Alfa:
1986 Spider Veloce
121,000+ miles

Old 08-26-2003, 02:19 PM

Those are the 2 others Dino mentioned.

I'm bummed.

I need a rear wheel seal fixed (it blew).

I also have some fuel in my oil - although not much. Worn SPICA pump...

How badly should I be concerned about the fuel in the oil?
Old 08-26-2003, 02:38 PM

another good idea is to call your local alfa club and see who they recommend. or, call a big parts supplier like international auto to see who in your area buys a lot of parts from them because a shop that is consistantly buting parts from a well reputed parts supplier means that are busy which in return means they might do good work which gives you reason to go check them out.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:28 PM

Good idea, ItalCar, but the catch is that there really is no AROC chapter around here - just a collection of contacts. I have about 15 names, and we all went to the same place. A real hole-in-the-wall joint, but a great guy ran it and did outstanding work.... Bummer, huh?

So, maybe this isn't the end of the world, but just a wrinkle in time. The tragedy!!!

Sold my beloved Alfa:
1986 Spider Veloce
121,000+ miles

Old 08-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Maybe the guy isn't going to be in biz anymore, but maybe he's willing to take in work on the side for cash.

If you're getting fuel in the oil, the SPICA pump needs an good overhaul. Time to take it off and send it to Wes Ingram. It'll be better than new when he gets finished with it.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:17 PM

SPICA hmmm - yes, I would listen to Mr. Roadtrip there.

Sold my beloved Alfa:
1986 Spider Veloce
121,000+ miles

Last edited by zkalsent; 08-26-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:43 PM

He won't work on the side - that was my first question.

He has no plans, and he's not selling his tools. He asked for my address in case he ever gets back in the biz....

Yeah, crud on the bad pump. Dino says that Wes's pumps are getting worse - he just sent one back that was leaking oil. He urged I convert to Webers with Euro manifolds and cams....

My question is really how long can I wait before I get engine damage, whether I go SPICA or Webers.

Another problem, not small, is who will do the work? I suppose I could give it a whirl, particularly replacing the pump.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Leaking oil? Considering that he bench runs them to balance the plunger output, that must be a fluke or an installation error. About the only thing that would have to go back to him for would be a front seal.

Converting to Webers is a good option, but a much more expensive one . . . . . about $1400 for a new kit . . . . . plus labor. Used ones, of unknown quality, are sporatically available on the internet. An overhauled FI pump costs about $750 and will probably last 100k miles, if you take care of it with upper cylinder lubricant.

Removing the pump is not terribly difficult if the fuel pipe nuts aren't corroded too badly. How much mechanical work have you done before? I have a couple of different techniques for removal that make it a bit easier. It looks like you have a post 75 model. That'll involve removing the air pump as well. I just did a R&R on my own '74 last week. It will take a bit of intellectual investment in tech study beforehand.

Diluting the oil with fuel can't be good for the engine lubrication. I wouldn't run the engine long term like this.

If you don't want to try the repair yourself, contact the Mid Atlantic Alfa Club. I'll bet they know of some good mechanics close to Charlotte.

http://www.mid-atlantic-aroc.org/

Last edited by Roadtrip; 08-26-2003 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:21 PM

Mine's a '74.

Does this make it easier to replace the pump?

Definitely not long term like this, and I'd also change the oil alot more frequently. I'd just like to put this off for a few months, as it might render the car inoperable while i tinker.

So, I'm thinking until about late october / november.

Think I'd be OK?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

'74 and earlier cars are easier than the later models. There is no Air Pump that has to bevremoved first. I have a detailed guide on how remove and replace the pump that will be part of a SPICA guide I'm writing.

The super-condensed version is:
Degrease and pressure wash the engine.

1. Unbolt fan and fan shroud
2. Remove radiator
3. Rotate engine to correct FI pump timing.
3. Remove 3 nuts that hold the FI pump belt cover on.
4. Slip FI pump belt off pulley and slip long rod off the throttle arm.
5. Remove 3 FI pump bracket bolts
6. Separate electrical connections (2)
7. Remove fuel hoses
8. Loosen Fuel Pipe Nuts
9. Remove 6 10mm nuts that hold the pump body on the pump base. Remove pump body from pump base. Unbolt pump base from block and reattach to pump body on the workbench.

The only thing that might slow you up is corroded nuts/bolts. Also, take a hard look at you motor mounts. If they're deteriorated or appear significantly compressed, replace them. It's pretty easy to replace them while you have the pump out.

You can probaly get away for a couple of months with a close check on the oil dilution, but I wouldn't go much longer if the car was mine. Call Wes Ingram and see if he has a rebuilt '74 pump on the shelf ready to go already. In any case, you want a '74 model pump ("T255/1" on the data placard) as a replacement because the 74s had the hottest 3D cam and fuel delivery schedule. That way you can do a changeout the same weekend rather than having to wait for your core to be overhauled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.