Dash Removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to flamebero Send a message via MSN to flamebero
Dash Removal

I've een putting this off long enough but it's time to tackle this big project... I need to pull my heater core, have it repaired and replace it. This will entail removing the dash, which looks like it's not that fun. While it's off I intend to repair all the wiring for warning and indicator lights. Pretty much nothing works. I also think this may be a good time to fix my tachometer, it sounds like a coffee machine (new cable?). While the dash is off I'm thinking about using the "bed liner trick" to repair the cracks, but I'm concerned the color will differ enough that I'll have to treat the center console in a similar way. Is there anything I'm missing I should plan on while the dash is off? I've heard the gas, oil, and temp gauges are electric and just, but am I going to need to remove the speedometer and tachometer afterward, and if I do, will I need to recalibrate the speedometer?

Anyways, I plan to get this started on monday so I can have the car for the weekend, I just want to get the research done now so it goes as smoothly as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 PM

removing the dash is no all that hard.. the centre consul is harded.. just lable all the wire.. esp. to the heater fan switch, and the hazard switch.. the rest.. peice of cake.. the dash on;y take 2 wing nuts and 2 phillips scwers to remove.. you can get it out in an hour..after the centre counsul is out. and labled.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I think you will find it is not that hard to remove the dash. Most of your efforts will be in removing the center console & instruments. Alfa actually used wing nuts so they must have assumed the dash would be coming out sooner or later...

I just did the bed liner repair on our GTV-6 dash. click me to see As for color, let the bed liner material dry thoroughly then spray it with vinyl spray paint. I'll bet you can find a close match. Rustoleum lists a tan bed liner on their web page (but I didn't find any at Walmart).
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

L-jetronic Spider diagnosis (1982-1989)
L-jetronic V-6 diagnosis
OK injectors - fuel injector cleaning
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
I think you will find it is not that hard to remove the dash. Most of your efforts will be in removing the center console & instruments. Alfa actually used wing nuts so they must have assumed the dash would be coming out sooner or later...

I just did the bed liner repair on our GTV-6 dash. click me to see As for color, let the bed liner material dry thoroughly then spray it with vinyl spray paint. I'll bet you can find a close match. Rustoleum lists a tan bed liner on their web page (but I didn't find any at Walmart).
Any shots of it in the context of your car? I'm only worried because as they are right now the center console and dash texture and color are pretty close matches. I guess if I'm pulling the entire center console, i could treat all the panels at the same time. If it proves to be too much of a burden I may just pass on it. My Alfa's not winning any beauty contests and I don't care, it's a frickin' Alfa.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Here are the mounting points.
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:14 AM

I am trying to finish up a similar project on mine.
FWIW - the wiring issues I found behind the dash turned out to be more of a project than the dash itself coming out. I couldn't resist this project scope creep, as usual. 40 years of "workarounds" and kludges by PO's, and poor contacts (particularly grounds) . stuff like the four way flasher and both wiper speeds are working again for the first time since I've had the car. my advice is have lots of little wire brushes (Dremel wire wheel works great), files, contact cleaner, and new spade terminals to crimp on when you start the work.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 AM

I'm working on removing the center console, it's all free except the hand throttle cable. It seems like the front ought to unscrew and then slip off the console. Anybody know how to get it off?

One more incredibly stupid question, what exactly does that cable do? Allow you to do what you would with your foot, with your hand? I tried tugging on it the other day while idling, didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 PM

are you talking about the 2 cables that are for the fan on/off duct and heat/cool cable?? If so, just remove 2 screws that hold down the cable bracket....

dash removal is to me, a big job. Its like getting on top of a mountain. Its not the last step that get you to the top, its the 5 miles to have climbed to that point before that last step.....lol
Old 08-22-2010, 12:22 PM

No, there's a throttle on earlier Spiders on the lower left corner of the dash. I don't think they're on later Spiders.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM

ok.....sorry, not familiar with those.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebero View Post
how to get it off?

One more incredibly stupid question, what exactly does that cable do? Allow you to do what you would with your foot, with your hand? I tried tugging on it the other day while idling, didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!
on my carburetted Spider there are two levers, one is a choke, and the other a hand throttle. If it works properly, by pulling the hand throttle you should should see an increase the idle speed.

Currently no Alfas in the stable

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

The only time I ever use the hand throttle in my car is when warming it up. For the life of me I've never been able to get a fast cold idle, so I use the cable. I don't think it's capable of just pulling, so I use my foot to help it along. If you give it a quarter turn to the right, it locks it.

And don't ever, ever use it as a cruise control. It doesn't release when using the brake.
Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale
Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 PM

I'm just going to leave the throttle attached for now, everything else is disconnected so I can move that panel out of the way. I got the two bolts and the wing nuts off. The dash is free, and I can move it around but can't quite remove it until I get the speedo/tach off. I don't think there's an easy way to get them off without removing the cables, and I'm not sure I want to go that far. I think I can shift it all around while I pull the heater core out now. I'm having a hell of a time pulling it out, the bolts that bolt it to the dash on the driver side are quite difficult to get to.

As for refinishing the dash, I think I'm going to opt not too, there's only one crack that's not all that noticeable. I don't think it's worth changing the texture and color, however slight it may be, away from that of the center console.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

Removing the cables from the Tach and Speedo was quite easy for my S2 spider. Its no more than a 5 minute job. It sounds far easier than what you have accomplished thus far removing the console. Do you have any photos of the number of wires needing numbered/identified when you get to where you currently are? When do you access the gauges (gas, oil press, temp) and the 4 warning lights on the upper console/dash?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 AM

I was led to believe by something I read that was posted long ago, that removing my speedo cable would require some sort of recalibration. If I'm wrong on this, this project will get a lot easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.