Introducing -- Arizona's V-8 Alfa Spider - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 PM

do you have any photos of the toyota r/p? frame mounts.. etc. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Wink

msiert.. you just might want to watch out for this white spider.......it might suck that nice 'black' paint off you car..
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
msiert.. you just might want to watch out for this white spider.......it might suck that nice 'black' paint off you car..
Hard to beat a V-8 only thing faster would be a V-8 in a Black Spider.

Nice job Steve!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

OK, here are a few more photos. I have several hundred I took during the conversion, but I don't want to bore you guys with too many. However, it appears that I never took any of just the crossmember with the rack installed. I'll try to get a photo later, but the rack is buried between the crossmember and the lower part of the bellhousing.

I have no illusions that this car would make a great race car, in fact Murray's probably would take me in the corners. It's just a fun daily driver that no one else has done (successfully), as far as I know. It is fun to have hundreds of foot pounds of torque

Steve
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM

... be kind of cool to get those valve covers to say.... ALFA ROMEO...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
OK, then you put a Montreal engine in your Spider
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 PM

I have always thought a Pontiac Solstice GXP engine at 260 hp at 5,300 and 260 lb-ft of torque might be a nice swap for a Spider. Effectively doubling HP without the bulk of a V8.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzaguy View Post
I have always thought a Pontiac Solstice GXP engine at 260 hp at 5,300 and 260 lb-ft of torque might be a nice swap for a Spider. Effectively doubling HP without the bulk of a V8.
I think you are correct. However, how much would it cost for a GXP engine, computer, wiring harness, etc., compared to a $799 rebuilt Ford 302. I took the cheap and easy way out

Steve
Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Fantasies don't have pricetags . . . sigh
Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzaguy View Post
Fantasies don't have pricetags . . . sigh
YOUR fantasies may not have pricetags -
Mine do......sigh.....

Gordy Hyde
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
Old 04-22-2010, 10:24 PM

i am also leaning to a 2.4 ecotec motor.( SKY/ ION ). and the + side.. you can get an ' alfa romeo ' valve cover for that...and have about 175 hp.. nice..i am getting ready to stuff a 98 mustang t5 wc box in my car with the nord motor,, perhaps, later.. the ecotec.. good write ups on that motor.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
That would be sacreligious.

Nice job ferrari328gt .
Pete
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 PM

i can't even spell that word...psk ;0;0
Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 PM

The Ecotec GXP is a hopped up version of this motor.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

This is so weird....

Weird because...
Here's a few of what I thought was the only regular driven V-8 Alfa Spider in the US and some engineer in Az. builds one right under my nose! While I may not be an engineer (I'm a professional musician), we both teach at Mesa College! Me in San Diego and you in Mesa, Az. Weird, huh?
Mine has been around for over 14 years and has over 40,000 miles on the conversion: a 1971 body with many other year parts (mostly '78), a 1994 HO motor, T-5 world class, and a nine inch rear end, 3.50 gears. It's run 13.9's/103 in the quarter, has 52/48 weight distribution of about 2640 lbs., and steers like a truck: the ackerman is incorrect. Kinda like my old Tigers, which is where I got the idea for this.
Car was silver, then repainted by the previous owner beige (?) while he started the conversion. I took the project over and mostly finished it: boxed the frame rails, trailing arms, Ron Davis custom radiator, IAP springs, Koni yellow shocks set to full hard, poly bushings, roll bar, etc. When something broke, you just figured out a stronger solution to fix it.
Just got painted last month and is at home now with me trying to get it ready for SD Italian Festa. You know, the detail stuff that takes forever! The color is Viper medium blue.
I could not agree more that this car is a driver first and foremost and will never be a show car. I'm having too much fun telling people "yes" when they ask, "You got a V-8 in that thing?"
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.