My Project - Spider Veloce V8 Conversion - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 09-24-2005, 05:27 AM

My Project - Spider Veloce V8 Conversion

I am about to start my Spider Veloce conversion to a V8. Since it wont be a pure Alfa when finished, Im not sure if anyone here would be interested in the pictures & build process, so I thought Id ask.

I am starting with a pretty beaten 1985 Spider Veloce. The floors are pretty much rusted out, and the body has seen better days. I will be swapping in a small block Ford V8 with fuel injection Shooting for 400hp. Behind that will be a T5 5-speed to a narrowed 8.8 rear-end.

The front end will be re-done with a tubular K-member to support a coil-over suspension. The rear will possibly be a 4-link type setup. Both front and rear will have disc brakes.

The overall intent is to be a sleeper Closed hood, quite exhaust. However, my driving force is to create something of an Italian version of the 427 Shelby Cobra No top, no door glass etc.

Ive built many cars in the past and have done pictorials on them as I went. I built a 427 Cobra replica (in 8 weeks no less ), and a few others such as my daughters car.

If there is interest, Ill post throughout the process along with pictures.

If the mere thought of defiling this Italian piece of art makes those of this forum gag, Ill respectfully refrain
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

While many may consider this sacrilege, I would be interested, just to see how it would be done.

Mo in NJ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:34 AM

YES! I definitely want to see the photos of the buildup!

Thanks

JB
Old 09-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Show us! The more stuff gets documented here the better.

http://www.rattyti.com/
Old 09-24-2005, 09:08 AM

ive always been interested in building cars from scratch...how much did the cobra project cost you? how did you learn how to do that? most importantly, how long did it take?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:59 AM

The problem with most of these types of "conversions" is that people seldom finish what they start, leaving the car in worse shape than it started in.

Based on your previous projects, it looks like you have the talent and willpower to follow through, so I am looking forward to your photos!

Joe
Old 09-24-2005, 10:18 AM

I remember years ago when the Ford Falcon was fighting an advertising war with the Chevy Corvair that the Ford folks shot arrows with the weight in the usual position and with a weight near the end of the arrow, with the expected result, the rear-weighted one wavered all over the place while the front weighted one "hit a bullseye". What we have here is an arrow with the weight in the back when it was designed for the front. It'll burn but it won't turn!
'70 Spider..sold 2 weeks before the Spica died
'63 Spider Veloce ex-racer... my 2nd rebuild, died from cancer
'74 Spider Veloce...crushed by a tree-really!
'65 Spider....... you wouldn't believe how cheap I sold it

'76 Spider Veloce....thank God no emissions test needed!
'75 Norton Commando Mk.III......currently the bastard stepchild due to the spider
Old 09-24-2005, 10:52 AM

Very interested to see... especially with how you deal with the rust (mine is a bit of a rust bucket)

Please post some pictures of it as it is today... should be an interesting project! These cars were never known for their speed (120hp on a good day)
Old 09-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapajoe
ive always been interested in building cars from scratch...how much did the cobra project cost you? how did you learn how to do that? most importantly, how long did it take?
Cobra:
Parts = $33,000
Final Paint (100% pure show quality!): $4,500

Start to finish: 8 Weeks, 3 of which were paint

I worked 6 hours each night M-F, then 12-16 hours both saturday & sundays. You could say I was determined
Old 09-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCab
The problem with most of these types of "conversions" is that people seldom finish what they start, leaving the car in worse shape than it started in.

Based on your previous projects, it looks like you have the talent and willpower to follow through, so I am looking forward to your photos!

Joe
And you haven't even seen some of my more intersting projects yet - Here's pic of the final product of my ZR1 - It started life as a weathered '90 - I did all of the body work and engine work myself:

I've built many cars, and modified even more All to completion.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdoc
I remember years ago when the Ford Falcon was fighting an advertising war with the Chevy Corvair that the Ford folks shot arrows with the weight in the usual position and with a weight near the end of the arrow, with the expected result, the rear-weighted one wavered all over the place while the front weighted one "hit a bullseye". What we have here is an arrow with the weight in the back when it was designed for the front. It'll burn but it won't turn!
Interesting way of looking at it. Consider that I wouldn't build a car that won't turn Consider that I'll be using aluminum heads & intake, along with other very light components in front (alum rad etc), I'll be VERY surprised if I can't make it handle - But I do take your post as a heads up
Old 09-24-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan
Very interested to see... especially with how you deal with the rust (mine is a bit of a rust bucket)

Please post some pictures of it as it is today... should be an interesting project! These cars were never known for their speed (120hp on a good day)
I started this morning and I'm documenting everything. I'll post pics shortly of how it started out, and what I got done today.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:56 PM

Here's some pictures of the progress today. Since I started this morning, this shows the car as it was. For the curious, I paid $900 for the car in the condition shown - I hadn't touched it until today:

Te car actually runs and drives but the clutch master is history:

The body is not in top shape either:

And the top has a few minor leaks:

Starting to take out the interior - Notice the incredible craftsmanship used when making the 6x9 speaker holes:

The floors are just about gone:

Interior pretty much removed:

While removing the interior and wiring, I was careful to pull out the computers and harness. Anyone want to buy a running 2.0 Spider drivetrain (engine, trans, rear end) along with full harness and computers (BTW, it's an FI car with AC)?

That's it for today - I'll be on the engine/trans tomorrow along with more pics.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:08 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing this, too, just as an education. Is the power:weight ratio considerably different for the planned Ford power plant than for possibly more "drop-in" conversions like the 3-literAlfa V6 with a Maserati bi-turbo tranny?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:03 AM

Awesome project!

I'm in awe of your skill and hard work. You've done some very nice work and I really look forward to seeing the results of this project.
This is a car that would have been left to rot behind somebody's barn. What you are doing is taking an Alfa that would have rotted away and turning it into something interesting and useful. Certainly not a purists dream but a very interesting hybrid machine!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.