Engine removal '73 Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Engine removal '73 Spider

I'm getting ready to pull the engine and trans from my '73 Spider. Is it better/easier to disconnect the drive shaft at the front guibo, or at the u-joint behind the center support bearing. Access seems better at the u-joint, but that would leave the front half of the drive shaft to come out with the engine/trans.

Thanks and best regards,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

IIRC, I unbolted the guibo. Put a large hose clamp around it (or connect 3 medium size hose clamps together) first. That will compress the rubber allowing you to remove the bolts. Otherwise you'll be needing a liberal assortment of Italian cuss words (followed by a large hose clamp...).
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

L-jetronic Spider diagnosis (1982-1989)
L-jetronic V-6 diagnosis
OK injectors - fuel injector cleaning
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks, that's what I thought, and I forgot about the hose clamp.

Best regards,
Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

I do it at the flange because the giubo can be such a hassle to work with in place. But either will work.
Andrew
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

Success!

It took a bit of doing and some help from my son, but I got the engine/trans pulled from my Spider this afternoon. All the information available on the BB and the support of the members really helped. The last Alfa engine I pulled was on my Alfetta about 25 years ago. I seem to remember that job being a lot easier than on the Spider. I don't know if it really was easier, or if being 25 years younger then was the difference.

The only really hard parts were getting to the manifold flange bolts (discussed in a post a few weeks ago), and the lower nut on the passenger side (LHD) engine mount. The engine mount had deteriorated to the point that it had collapsed onto the nut. I had to start to hoist the engine to take enough pressure off the mount to release the nut.

BTW, it is amazing what some POs consider acceptable repair work. When I went to pull the bell housing from the block, I found that there were only 4 bolts attaching it, including only one bolt on the starter.

Yes, that is hay in the picture, the car was sitting in a barn since 1993.

Best regards,
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM

The Alfetta's engine cmpt is more spacious, and you have only the flywheel housing/rear engine mount, not a trans, to come out with the engine.

Very common for people to leave off the two upper engine/trans bolts. They can be very hard to thread into place. Congrats on a successful removal. I'm at the same stage on my 74 GTV right now (see thread on GTV forum). Fixing PO's bodges is a big part of owning an old Alfa.

Andrew
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Fixing PO's bodges is a big part of owning an old Alfa.
Amen to that! Rust, accident damage, wear-n-tear are minor things to fix compared with the previous owners' "handiwork"!

From your photo, it looks like you decided to disassemble at the giubo. There are a couple of advantages to doing it that way: with the front driveshaft attached to the back of the transmission, the total length of the engine-trans-driveshaft is longer, making it more awkward to maneuver in & out. But the bigger problem is that you tend to over-bend the giubo when the engine tilts back and leans on the driveshaft, which can split the giubo rubber (ask me how I know).

If your motormount rubber was that bad, the giubo is probably shot too. Might as well replace both while you have things apart.

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Gold Subscriber

When I got into it I found out that it really wasn't that hard to separate at the guibo, and figured that it would be a lot easier to pull without the drive shaft.

Not only was the guibo cracked in several places, but virtually every rubber mount or bushing is completely shot. It's no big deal for me, as I was planning to replace all the suspension bits and mounts anyway, but it must have been pretty nasty to drive when the PO last parked it.

Whoever did the work for the PO, (I'm sure that it wasn't her) didn't have a clue on what they were doing. Not only were there only the four bolts holding the bell housing, but one of the missing bolts had been sheared off. The "mechanic" also sheared off one of the bolts holding the transmission mounting bracket and another bolt on the bracket by the center support bearing. "We don't need no stinking torque wrench."

Best regards,
Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 AM

In the hot & dry western US, the rubber parts of the car are what wear out first when it sits. This is especially true if it's a smoggy area. This car was in the San Joaquin Valley I think? Hot and smoggy.
Andrew
Old 03-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

The car was up in the foothills of the Sierras, a little dry maybe, but not too hot, and no smog. Looking at some of the bushing and mounts, it appears to me like most of the wear / tear and deterioration were from the first 20 years of use as a daily driver, not just from sitting. Apparently the "mechanic" that did some of the prior work, attempted to change the engine mounts, and was able to change the driver's side; it's the only decent looking piece of rubber on the car. He wasn't able to change the passenger side; he partially unscrewed the lower nut, but because the mount had already collapsed and trapped the nut, he wasn't able to completely remove it.

I'm going to try and get a little more history on the car and it's repairs from the PO. I believe she only had it for a few years before she parked it, but might remember what the PO told her about the car when she bought it.

Best regards,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.