Engine Management Warning Light - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 10-03-2008, 03:14 PM

Engine Management Warning Light

2005 Spider (916) 3.2. Driving fairly gently today the yellow warning light with the 'engine' depicted on it came on. No loss of power or other drama. Drove it home (only 3 miles) and let it consider, for a couple of hours, the wisdom of behaving in such a mean way. Started engine up again and light was still on.

Manual tells me to take the beast to an Alfa dealer which, judging by other people's experience, sounds of doubtful value and very expensive.

Any help much appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I confess to knowing nothing about 'modern' Alfas. Most of us here own 66-94 Spiders - the "classic" ones...

Anyway, lack of knowledge needen't stop us from replying! A 'check engine' light can mean anything from quite benign to horrible. All it really means is that the car's computer is either getting a reading out of range or a sensor isn't sensing. A dealer or experienced mechanic will connect a diagnostic reader and your car's computer will tell them what is troubling it. Once properly repaired the check engine light must be reset.

Can't really comment on Alfa dealers as we ain't had any for many years.
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

L-jetronic Spider diagnosis (1982-1989)
L-jetronic V-6 diagnosis
OK injectors - fuel injector cleaning
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:07 PM

Where do you live? If not in the U.S., go to Alfaromeo.com and select your country, you should be able to find a dealer through there. If in the U.S. then I would ask a maserati dealership maybe? Call around, but I'm guessing the key you need to read your codes is pretty hard to come by... especially if you need an adapter as well. Reina here in Wisconsin might have a scan tool for that car... I know they own a newer gen. spider... It depends where you are!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Thanks to both. Based in UK. Looks like a trip to local (not very!) Alfa dealer.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:22 AM

OK I have hooked it up and have these 2 error codes:

PO 0220 - Pedal Position Sensor Circuit. Which the computer tells me is Throttle position (TP) sensor B/accelerator pedal problem (APP) switch B - contact malfunction.

PO 1221 - Pedal Position Sensor1 Circuit.

Can anyone advise if they have had the same problem - and possible remedy. No symptoms on the car, just that every time I reset it is OK for about 2 trips - then the Engine Management Light fails to go off after startup.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

You'll likely find some information relevant to your car in this subsection and prolly this subsection also where they deal with stuff that most of us in this section don't have the first clue about. (as in pretty much everything you're asking)
ghnl's '82~'89/Series 3 Spider L~jet diagnostic page
as hosted by
Greg Gordon's HI Performance Store
& OK Injectors
Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 AM

Thanks - I will try different section. All a bit of a mystery to me, have never quite got to grips with electrical stuff since the demise of the dynamo . . . .
Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

My understanding of automotive electrical circuits is all explained by the Smoke Theory.
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

L-jetronic Spider diagnosis (1982-1989)
L-jetronic V-6 diagnosis
OK injectors - fuel injector cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.