Speedometer Cable Replacement? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 07-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

Speedometer Cable Replacement?

Well I fixed my ignition problem and in the process I broke my speedometer cable. When I was assembling the speedometer I ended up pulling the crimped on metal end off. It was late and I was being lazy, I shouldn’t have pulled on it.

Anyhow I need to replace it, I know where to buy them but wanted to check and make sure that there aren’t any special tools or tricks to replace these. Is it as simple as unscrewing it from the speedometer and trans routing it through the fire wall and hooking a new one up? Or are there any tricks?

Thanks again for all the help, this board has been really helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

That's about it, yes.

Well, beyond putting a little bit of lithium grease on the new cable, and the swearing involved with the fingernuts when they slip out of position or don't quite fit through the grommet(s) like you'd hope.

Best bet is to run the sleeve first and route it, then put the cable in after everything is all lined up and ready to screw together.
ghnl's '82~'89/Series 3 Spider L~jet diagnostic page
as hosted by
Greg Gordon's HI Performance Store
& OK Injectors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM

I just replaced my cable and now when I put it in gear and apply ower, the speedometer needle wraps around and pegs out. Did I break something? Seems to have all fit together ok. Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:46 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

If I had to guess, I'd say the cable got jammed too far/too hard into the head unit and has caused the internals to bind together.

Very basic, and not completely accurate description of how it works, but close enough for descriptive purposes:

The cable goes into a fitting on a disc magnet.

The disc magnet spins with the cable and in turn its magnetic field jumps a small air gap and pulls along another disc or ring that is attached to the needle.

Jam the wheels together and you end up with literally a direct drive.

I'd suggest taking the cable out of the head end and trying again.

If it seems like it's 'too long', get back up underneath and rework that end.

(tis better to get the bottom end connected 1st when installing to ensure the cable gets fully seated in there)

Oh, and while you want the trans end of the cable sleeve relatively tight on its threads, the head unit end shouldn't be all that tight. (just finger tight, then use the safety wire to prevent it from unscrewing itself)
as hosted by
& OK Injectors
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM

I first tightended the end that goes on the speedometer and then tightened the end to the trans using a pair of pliers to make sure it stayed on. Guess I should have only hand tightened the trans end. Is this correct? I will go ahead and disconnect both ends and reset them. Thanks for your help.

Jim
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

You only want hand tight on the speedo head end.

Ideally:

1) get the sleeve routed, then run the cable through it

2) fit the cable in to the trans as deep and true as you can (square peg, square hole, fully seated) then tighten the cable nut (a tiny turn with pliers to snug it is OK)

3) get the cable started true in the speedo head, then hand/finger tight to ensure you don't get any resistance. (when it starts feeling a little bit tight, stop, you've gone far enough regardless of whether the nut has bottomed or not)

4) put a bit of wire through the security wire holes (if present) to help prevent the nut from vibrating loose

Now, as you're going to have the speedo head out anyway while you reset things, it might not hurt to fit up the old cable, or new one if you've tossed the old long ago, and spin it with your fingers to see if the needle is going to act any better.
as hosted by
& OK Injectors
Old 07-29-2008, 01:52 PM

Thank you Darren, I'll try it tomorrow. I did tighten them both with channel locks. I appreciate your knowledge and time to answer my question. Thanks
Jim
Old 07-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

I am going to replace mine this weekend hopefully mine goes smoothly

Thanks for the tip on finger tightening the Speedo part!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Just finished, everything went well. Thanks again for the help/advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.