Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Duetto fuel line routing

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Hodgepodge 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My '67 Duetto has a gas tank/engine from a '72 but has Webers instead of Spica. Some idiot decided it would be better to drill a new hole in the tank underneath (with a screw down fitting) than it would be to use the original fuel line through the sender unit. He also used oversized fuel line tubing and ran the line UNDER the exhaust.... Now the tank is leaking....badly. I have the original tank and am just trying to figure out how to route the fuel line from the tank to the pump behind the axle on the passenger side of the car. I looked at the diagrams but nearly all are for later cars with emissions controls or at least for cars with Spica and return vents.

Can anyone point me to diagrams or images showing the fuel line routing for a stock Duetto?

Thanks,

Scott

#2 ·
Sounds right to me. My car is a '72 with Spica, fuel feed comes out of the bottom of the tank and routes under the exhaust, there is no in-tank lift pump and yes, when the feed hose goes bad all of the fuel will leak out of the tank onto the ground. Solution is to not let that hose rot out. It should have some sort of heat shield or barrier between it and the exhaust pipe.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
On the '67s, the hard fuel line runs down the passenger side next to the drive shaft.
Just before the diff. it turns toward the driver side and up to the level of the tank outlet.
The pic is from the Super book, but GTV and Duetto are the same.
Hi,

The images help a lot. I am guessing that whoever replaced the fuel lines used fat hose that didn't fit through the hole in the trunk, so he just put a new hole in the tank. I'll try to locate some thinner fuel line. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

#3 ·
Some idiot decided it would be better to drill a new hole in the tank underneath (with a screw down fitting) than it would be to use the original fuel line through the sender unit.
If the '72 tank is in better condition (except for the drilled hole) you could probably have a radiator shop repair the hole, and use the fuel outlet on a '72-style sending unit. If your original tank has rust, re-installing it will solve the leak, but may lead to other problems.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Jay,

Fortunately, the original tank is in perfect condition with new powder coating and interior lining. I also have an extra sending unit with the fuel line, which is brand new. (The currently installed sending unit has no fuel line.) I'm guessing the seller knew there was something amiss with the current set up and had planned to replace the tank but never got a chance.

Thanks,

Scott

#4 ·
Hello all,

My '67 Duetto ...Can anyone point me to diagrams or images showing the fuel line routing for a stock Duetto?
Scott,

Stock our '66-67 Duetto's use a mechanical fuel pump on the right front corner of a 1600 cc engine block. It must have been problematic since an electric fuel pump was added to my car over 35 years ago, before coming to me. It has been a long time since I looked at the fuel line routing but if I remember correctly it comes out of the top of the sending unit to the 'revised electric' pump and is routed over the right side of the rear axle and follows the frame rail up to the right front fender where the fuel filter/ regulator is mounted;
before going down to the mechanical fuel pump and back up to the Weber's.

The mechanical fuel pump should have been removed when the electric pump was added and a blank off plate installed on the block. I realize now that having an electric fuel pump will cause the valves to wear out the mechanical fuel pump 'valve seat' in the fuel pump body. During the engine rebuild 34 years ago, I replaced the worn out mechanical pump with a NOS pump and probably doomed the new pump to the same fate.

Someone will probably come along with photos and a better description, if not, I'll snap some shots and post them the next time I am over at the 'Alfa Garage'.

One other thing; new fuel tanks are available of needed, just make sure that you get one with the fuel filler 'neck' as some sellers (on eBay and elsewhere) will supply a tank for later cars with no neck. You can imagine how I found this out...

Mark

#7 · (Edited)
IB,

My car has a 2000 engine in it now with no mechanical fuel pump, hence the electric one located behind the rear axle. It is an oversized pump, so I will need to make sure I can get hose that will fit and still go through the hole in the trunk. Any suggestions for the thinwall hose?

Thanks,

Scott

#10 ·
IB,
It is an oversized pump, so I will need to make sure I can get hose that will fit and still go through the hole in the trunk. Any suggestions for the thinwall hose?

Scott
Scott,
The fuel line is a metal tube similar to brake line but larger (~5-6 mm) in diameter with rubber hoses at both ends. Your original fuel line may still be under the car. I saw a post in which GPRocket had reproduced the rubber grommets that hold the fuel lines in their metal tabs.

Also, the output of your fuel pump only needs to be about 3 psi (4 max) for Webers. If yours fuel pump puts out higher pressure it needs to have a pressure regulator.

Mark

#8 ·
101/105 Guy, when you say "hard fuel line" do you mean there is a metal line? I haven't checked under my car but I'm 90% sure that the line from the electric fuel pump to the tank is rubber. That is the part I want to re-route back into the trunk.

Thanks,

Scott

#11 ·
KCAbpilot, you were dead-on correct! I finally got the car up on jack stands to check it out. The tank is from the '72 with the fuel line coming out of a recess in the front-inside corner of the tank and that is routing under the muffler. I attached an image. The fuel port is welded in and intact. (When I reached under there and wiggled the line, the clamp was moving, not the fitting on the tank.) There is a single hose clamp on the line and when I jiggled it, the hose came completely off, pouring gasoline into the pan I had under it. That burlap liner is to shield the fuel line from the muffler. There is also an extra loop in the line between the fuel filter (bolted to the body) and the fuel pump.

I have a properly reconditioned Duetto tank and a brand new sending unit with the fuel port in it, so I'll be changing this set up out soon, but in the meantime, it looks like I can just cut an inch off the fuel line and reattach it.

Thanks to everyone who provided input.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.