Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1982 Spider Veloce

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  John533i 
#1 ·
Thanks to all the help on this forum I was able to get this car back on the road again. I picked this car up in March, and I know it hadn't been started in at least 7 years. The last registration sticker on the license plate was 2002. It still needs some work, but it is moves on its own power once again.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Full Story

This car was bought by my ex boss/friend I think sometime in the late eighties. It originally came from California, I spoke to the second owner of the car(found his name in the glove box)he is still in California. He said he bought it from the first owner who was an Alfa mechanic at the time . I also have the failed emission paper from California from 1982. The second owner stated that the first owner had installed racing camshafts and that it didn't run the best, but he put many miles on it. I believe the guy I bought it from would have been the fourth owner as he bought it in Wisconsin. I first seen this car in 1999. My boss had it tucked away in the back of a garage under a tarp and boxes saying that it wouldn't run. I was 26 years old at the time with a baby on the way. I put a battery and new plugs and got the car fired up. My boss gave me a ride in it and I was hooked. I think he had it painted a short time later,and back into storage it went. Fast forward to 2010ish. My boss/friend is moving away to a different state. He leaves the car in storage. We still text and talk every now and then. 2 years ago I ask what happened to the Alfa and he says its still in storage. He says he wants to give it to one of his kids. Last year I run into his kids ( they are in there 20-30s) I asked what are they going to do with the Alfa, they are not interested in it. March 2017 my friend says he will sell it to me, I find out its now stored 1.5 miles from my house. I am now in my 40's and have the time to fix up the car I had a ride in 18 years ago. It sat in dry storage for all that time. 43000 miles , no rust but all the fuel lines,vacuum hoses, intake duct/rubber was dry rotted bad. Fuel pump leaked, relay inop. motor mounts shot.Brake hoses cracked. I removed the fuel tank, changed the parts , put a battery in and on Saturday took it around the block for its first time back on the road in 15 years. it has some goofy things like, no cat, header, some weird ignition box, air horns etc. but it runs and this forum was such a big help. Thank you to all who contribute.

#6 ·
Great story there Beerman, and kudos to you for saving a perfectly good Alfa. That was a very pretty color, too, on the '82 S2 body style. You can bet this forum will continue to be of help to you.

#9 ·
You have very good restraint. When mine was delivered to me, I nursed mine for a small drive, and noticed that the right front brake might be dragging, and the oil was thin and black. Then the sun came out and I went further, and further...1 month later, I still hadn't taken it off the road, as the top came down and I was having too much fun! Then the wheel bearing started to howl and I saw clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust...my brake booster had filled with brake fluid and was being sucked into the intake on left hand turns! Only then did I take it off the road and address issues. These are fun cars!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.