Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Shift Knobs what's the best looking ?

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  GV27 
#1 ·
Curious about who is using what style of Shift Knob on their Spiders, and also what's original - black knob with shift pattern markings or no shift pattern -what came on your Spider?

Toy Figurine Lego Police Action figure

See less See more
#10 ·
Well done fransinge! May I ask what wood you used? Mahogony?
Home made from teak
Two entirely different questions in the OP!

I have the Centerline mahogany knob and think it looks great. Doesn't match my Nardi wheel exactly but is close enough to still look good:

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/shift-knob-wood-logo

But when I looked up the link above I found this which would match my Nardi perfectly!:

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/shift-knob-nardi-logo

On the other hand if your Alfa looks like this:

You probably want this:

#8 · (Edited)
In his initial post, Lokki asks two somewhat different questions: "what's the best looking?" as well as "what's original (to a '71 spider)".

My earlier post addressed his second question, but I feel that for a (stock) '71 spider, the black plastic factory knob is also the right answer for "best looking".

No insult intended for the people who custom-make teak shift knobs. Or who install Nardi, amco or other factory-made wood knobs. But keep in mind that a 1971 spider has NO wood in its interior - no wood rim steering wheel, no faux wood on the console, none anywhere. So sticking a hunk of dead tree at the end of the shift lever would look funny on a '71 spider. Perhaps OK for a '72 or later, perhaps OK for a GT with a faux wood console, but I'm just not seeing it on Lokki's car.

#9 ·
What is best looking is a weird question to me. Aesthetics are very personal and that is rather personal, no? It just seems weird to ask...but I am very opinionated when it comes to design, looks, aesthetics.
I agree stock is most apprapo. However I've broken all of the rules and put in an "eight ball" on my '83. Does it look out of place, yup. But I like it and it fits well in my hand, also the stock faux wood grained plastic one was worn white, which looked terrible, (to me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.