Leans to the right - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Leans to the right

Hello All, Quick question about my suspension. I noticed my 82 spider was leaning slightly to the right, less than an inch measured from wheel well edge to floor. My mechanic, whom I trust, recently changed my worn sway bar bushings and recommended changing my performance (yellow) springs, which lowered the rear end a bit, back to stock (black) springs. He's an old school Alfa Mechanic. (He also replaced missing rubber bushings in the top spring plates.) With the change to stock springs, he brought the car up to level, front to rear, but it still leans to the right. I didn't notice it right away and have yet to mention it to him. I've read about this leaning tendency on the bulletin board that this difference allows for the weight of the driver. Does anyone know if this is a normal set up or does this condition need to be corrected? Also, if two new springs were installed, both sides being equal, what could be causing the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 AM

Garage
Does anyone know if this is a normal set up or does this condition need to be corrected? Also, if two new springs were installed, both sides being equal, what could be causing the difference?
The Passenger side requires a deep spring pan the drivers a shallow there is approx 8- 10 MM more depth in the right spring pan... compensates for driver weight being always on left.

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/spring-pan-right

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/spring-pan-left

hope this helps..
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So if it's leaning, the spring pans are reversed?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Garage
Spring Pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfizio View Post
So if it's leaning, the spring pans are reversed?
Not necessarily but should be checked he may not have ordered the correct spring pan for the passenger side (Deep)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got it. Thanks.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The left spring pan is shallower than the right so the car leans to the right until you sit in the driver's seat. Then your weight will change the stance. The gas tank is also on the left and filling it may also help make the car sit up straight

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
Not necessarily but should be checked he may not have ordered the correct spring pan for the passenger side (Deep)
Lately every thread on this subject ends up being totally confused for some reason.

Assumption 1 - please correct if wrong: this car is left-hand drive.

Assumption 2: "Right" = passenger side.

If these assumptions are correct then the OP's car is lower on the passenger side.

If all of that is correct then installing a deeper pan on the passenger side will make it lean even farther to the right.

My guess is that the spring pans are correct so the car is slightly lower on the passenger side AS DESIGNED.

Also: did you go back to stock springs all around or just out back? You should do all around.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 05-17-2017 at 12:35 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Lately every thread on this subject ends up being totally confused for some reason.

Assumption 1 - please correct if wrong: this car is left-hand drive.

Assumption 2: "Right" = passenger side.

If these assumptions are correct then the OP's car is lower on the passenger side.

If all of that is correct then installing a deeper pan on the passenger side will make it lean even farther to the right.

My guess is that the spring pans are correct so the car is slightly lower on the passenger side AS DESIGNED.
well you may disagree with this but the deep spring pan goes on the passenger side regardless of the LHD RHD... of course on a GTA I would believe they are dialed in as equal as you can counterbalance...fuel etc hmmmm which side is the gas tank on....drivers ...well thats 60 pounds right there isn't it...you must be an expert...trust me I am not confused...

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 05-17-2017 at 12:41 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All assumptions correct, Chris. It is slightly lower on the passenger side. And if this is by design, then that's exactly what I wanted to understand. It's not a problem, it's a feature! Thanks for the clarification.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfizio View Post
All assumptions correct, Chris. It is slightly lower on the passenger side. And if this is by design, then that's exactly what I wanted to understand. It's not a problem, it's a feature! Thanks for the clarification.
I do agree all the springs should be of the same series
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
well you may disagree with this but the deep spring pan goes on the passenger side regardless of the LHD RHD... of course on a GTA I would believe they are dialed in as equal as you can counterbalance...fuel etc hmmmm which side is the gas tank on....drivers ...well thats 60 pounds right there isn't it...you must be an expert...trust me I am not confused...

So how the heck is putting a DEEPER pan on the passenger side going to RAISE the passenger side? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
alfaparticle likes this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
So how the heck is putting a DEEPER pan on the passenger side going to RAISE the passenger side? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...ring-pan-deep/

https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105...nt-spring-pan/

Geometry and weight distribution...I set up a number of these the cars were relatively level...Including a GTA with centered gas tank... i also load the suspension with average diver weight before I tighten up the control arms and the rear trailing arms...and I agree the springs should all be a calibrated set on all 4 corners...

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 05-17-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Despite differences of opinion, you guys know a bit about this stuff so I'm in deep water here but the consensus is that I need to now put stock springs on the front to match the rear? How does that affect the front end height of the car? Right now it seems fairly level front to rear. To complicate matters, I have different size tires, front - 195/60/15, rear - 205/55/15 (I know but the car came that way). I'm planning to change these to 195/60/15 all around. Or with the increased height, do I now go with 195/65/15 to fill up those wheel wells? Can of worms.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I know all about the different pans, Tom. I had to swap a pan on my own car to get it right. The deep pan goes on the passenger side to "lower" it relative to the driver's side so it sits relatively level with the driver in the car. It doesn't raise the passenger side. It just doesn't. Interestingly I believe there is more going on than just the pans with side-to-side ride height. And in later years it appears they came out of the factory "wrong" with shallow pans on both sides. Do a search for spring pans with my username if you're interested in these topics.

Going to stock up front will raise it a bit. Thats OK though - proper stance for the car is with the rear is a bit droopy. There are normally spacers in the front that you could eliminate perhaps....

Here, this thread discusses all of this....

Can you mix up the spring pans?

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:51 PM

Sfizio,
I believe the recommendations for a matched spring 'set' front and rear concerns giving consistent behaviour for all-round handling balance - shouldn't affect side-to-side ride heights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode