Re: clutch bleed.. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Re: clutch bleed..

Hello again.

Recently I bled the brakes on my s3 spider simply because the pedal seemed a bit spongy and fluid looked pretty murky- Lord knows how long that fluid has been in there! ( I have only had car a few months).

With that, now I'm focusing my attention on my clutch fluid. The reservoir again looks like the fluid is pretty ancient/murky. The clutch seems to be operating properly from what I can tell.

Would it be advisable to flush this murky fluid like I did with the brakes as good maintenance or am I about to open up a can of worms/potentially doing more harm than good? I would think a good fresh fluid flush would be good...

Finally, what is the most effective procedure to bleed the clutch out?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

If you can't change the people around you, change the people around you.
Currently: 87 Spider Veloce. Previously Owned:'79 Alfetta GT,'80 Lancia Zagato, 86 Gtv6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamreed31 View Post
Would it be advisable to flush this murky fluid like I did with the brakes as good maintenance or am I about to open up a can of worms/potentially doing more harm than good? I would think a good fresh fluid flush would be good...

Finally, what is the most effective procedure to bleed the clutch out?
Bleeding the clutch is easier than the brakes. People use different techniques, including old-fashioned one-person in car pushing the clutch with the other working the bleed valve on the slave cylinder. I've used a Harbor Freight bleeding tool (compressor driven) with success, and others use the reverse-up technique where fluid is pushed up from the slave cylinder. If the fluid is black, it should be replaced.
adamreed31 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:14 PM

Yes, replacing the old clutch fluid is worthwhile, and as sloboy89 writes, it isn't difficult. The only circumstance I can think of where doing this procedure would be "open up a can of worms/potentially doing more harm than good" would be if the bleed screw on the slave was rusted in place, causing it to shear when you tried to back it out.

You can save a little time by using a turkey baster to remove the cruddy fluid from the clutch reservoir (*). Take out as much as you can, re-fill with new fluid, and bleed. It shouldn't take long until clean fluid is coming out the slave cylinder.

*) Make sure not to drip any brake fluid onto your car's paint - the stuff makes great paint remover!
adamreed31 likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

Also make sure the bleeder is at the top (12 o'clock). I say this because the slave can actually rotate in its housing.
adamreed31 likes this.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
can one just turn the housing to orient the bleeder in the 12 o clock orientation that easily? forgive me..where exactly is the bleeder located? pic? appreciate you all! think i'll try the reverse bleed in this case...

Currently: 87 Spider Veloce. Previously Owned:'79 Alfetta GT,'80 Lancia Zagato, 86 Gtv6
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
can one just turn the housing to orient the bleeder in the 12 o clock orientation that easily? forgive me..where exactly is the bleeder located? pic? appreciate you all! think i'll try the reverse bleed in this case...
The slave cylinder is held in place by two circlips that fit in external grooves around the body of the slave cylinder, and thus, it can rotate. When bleeding, you just need the bleeder valve to be at the top. Below is a picture of the slave cylinder showing the bleeder valve on the right side (uses a 7mm wrench if I recall). (You can see the two grooves on the housing for the circlips).

adamreed31 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce

Last edited by sloboy89; 05-16-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
sometimes the slave is well stuck, but other times it will easily turn....

here is a photo, you can just see the bleeder nipple peeking out above the flexible hose, its at 12 o'clock as here, it is photographed from below looking up.
Bleeding the clutch: Am I doing it wrong or is my clutch slave cylinder bad?
adamreed31 likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks again all...everyone is so helpful/accommodating! Does it matter if the bleeder nipple is 12 or 6 o clock if I use the reverse bleed method? I have had such better luck with reverse method in past thinking that air likes to go up/not down...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks again all...everyone is so helpful/accommodating! Does it matter if the bleeder nipple is 12 or 6 o clock if I use the reverse bleed method? I have had such better luck with reverse method in past thinking that air likes to go up/not down...
Probably not quite to the same degree, but it couldn't hurt. I like the pressure bleeder method myself (motive et. al.). Very simple process.
adamreed31 likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
'nealric'...pressure from below at nipple or from above at reservoir?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
'nealric'...pressure from below at nipple or from above at reservoir?
Above from the reservoir. Not sure how you would bleed the air out of the system if you applied pressure from the nipple. I've only heard of vacuum being applied from the nipple side.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
Above from the reservoir. Not sure how you would bleed the air out of the system if you applied pressure from the nipple. I've only heard of vacuum being applied from the nipple side.
Here's Eric's post on the reverse-bleeding procedure:

86 Spider Master clutch bleeding
adamreed31 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
Here's Eric's post on the reverse-bleeding procedure:

86 Spider Master clutch bleeding
Note that he's applying fluid, not pressure. The only issue with that method is that you need to ensure an airtight seal with the nipple and probably want a friend there to let you know when you've put in enough.
adamreed31 likes this.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
nice. I'm on it! the only luck I had bleeding an old school saab 900 clutch was in this way. will post with results. thanks again!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

I had to reverse bleed my clutch master cylinder. I use a pressurized brake bleeder and it worked great. You can buy one from Motive Products 0100 for around $50.00.
adamreed31 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode