Too funny - 1966 Alfa Rameo Duetto for sale - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6Likes
  • 4 Post By Alfajay
  • 1 Post By spiderbit
  • 1 Post By f4driver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Too funny - 1966 Alfa Rameo Duetto for sale

I found this on the bay with an all new high asking price of $110k

1966 Alfa Romeo Duetto | eBay

1966 Alfa Rameo Duetto. 4 Cylinder Gasoline Engine. Manual Transmission. 6,799 Miles 3,000 Miles Since 1976.

Please Note: The Main Thumbnail Photo is a scan (no digital photography back then) of a picture from 1976 when I bought the car. As you can see the only major change has been replacing the hard top for a soft top.

In 1966 Alfa Romeo produced what might be called the "Beta edition" of the Duetto. Although the 1966 Duetto made an appearance in the movie The Graduate, it's production was limited and it was not generally exported to the United States. Today the 1966 edition is rare in the United States and elsewhere. Purchased 1976 Vicenza Italy, this car listed is in very good condition. It has never been restored, but well maintained.

Finding a market value for this gem is difficult. Extrapolating from National Automobile Dealers Association data the asking price tops out at $140,000. Asking price for this car is $110,000. The car is mostly original. It has new front disc brakes. The convertible top is new. The car also comes with a hard top that fastens using the convertible connections.

My Alfa Rameo is a must see and drive! If you can come see for yourself, I'm sure you'll agree that you won't find another one in this condition again. Especially for the price I'm asking. Call today for more information or to make an appointment for viewing.

Listed by National Vehicle, eBay's largest seller of privately owned vehicles like this 1966 Alfa Romeo Duetto located in Urbana, Illinois. Please call 1-800-320-9557 and mention listing id: 131432.

1966 Alfa Romeo Duetto | eBay

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebay ad
...you won't find another one in this condition again. Especially for the price I'm asking.
Well, can't disagree with that!

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
People tend to float ridiculous prices on eBay to see if anyone might actually be interested. Some people see the really high asking prices for some cars (go look at '68-71 Mercedes 280SL prices in the $150k+ range) and think they can get that for their car even though it is just 3+ condition.

If this is for real, the car truly has only 6,700 miles on it and it is in perfect condition, then it may fetch an all time high price......but not on eBay. Always fun to watch, though!

Thanks,

Scott

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto,
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 4 BMWs, Highlander Hybrid, Ram 1500
Other-past: 11 BMWs, 2 MGs, 1 Triumph, lots of other stuff that doesn't count.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

The advertiser should stop sniffing gasoline before he writes that stuff, and put it in his car where its meant to go.
That is just a crazy price for a nothing special car.

Spider S4 1990 manual red LHD
Spider 916 V6 2002 Silver
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Garage
Ghost Spider

I live in Urbana's twin city of Champaign. If anyone would like to find out the supposed location of this Ghost Spider, I would be happy to go and not see it.

Ted
alfaloco likes this.

76 Spider, $4500.00 original cost - five bagillion invested.
SNO Director of Silly Walks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I don't think there is any hope or fear that this car is in any condition to have a ghost of a chance of bringing such money.

Where has this jewel been for the last 52 years and where are photos of the undercarriage?

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:02 PM

Garage
No comment about the asking price; I'll always be a cheerleader for high valuations, and I've been saying for years that these Spiders are 6-figure cars waiting to happen.

I will add this; I had that same Ansa exhaust on my '69 Spider, with the double pipes bent upwards. Always stank of exhaust fumes after a drive. Replacing it with a single stinger pipe pointed off to the left, same as stock positioning, fixed that. Also dropped about 30 lbs. and sounds a lot meaner at full throttle.

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Platinum Subscriber

decimal is in wrong place
spydaman likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have those Ansa tips on my 67 Duetto also. I need to sort out what I think is a rich burn before I decide what to do with them. They sound pretty good, though. ...which reminds me of another thread to search for or start..... chokes!

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto,
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 4 BMWs, Highlander Hybrid, Ram 1500
Other-past: 11 BMWs, 2 MGs, 1 Triumph, lots of other stuff that doesn't count.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 PM

Voice of Reason

Perhaps the seller has heard the AlfaBB voice of reason, for the asking price has been lowered to a mere $99,900...

I note that it has 1750 Spider Veloce seats and the seller lists the VIN as 131432. The latter accords with no numbers I can associate with Duettos...

1967 Duetto (2X)
DC
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisholm View Post
I note that it has 1750 Spider Veloce seats and the seller lists the VIN as 131432. The latter accords with no numbers I can associate with Duettos...
I noticed the same thing.... this coupled with the rare hubcap delete option must be part of the ultra rare 'Beta' option.

Sure glad mine isn't quite so rare........

1966 Duetto
1976 Spider Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode