1967 Thermostatic Fan and Overflow bottle - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr.G

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

1967 Thermostatic Fan and Overflow bottle

I got tired of the fluid flowing out onto the road, so I installed a bottle mounted to the top radiator bolt. The bottle had two flanges; I drilled out the top, bent the lower back and made a aluminum attachment bracket. I made copper tabs and soldered bolts in the tabs then onto the radiator. The radiator is brass so soldering is easy. The fan is a SPAL 12". I ordered a thermostat fan switch for the rear of the intake manifold and will thread it into the rear air exhaust port. That port is M14x1.5 and these thermostat switches are cheap. You can find them on eBay for $10 or Amazon at bit more expensive.

There are clearance issues in front so I had to drill out the top flange to lower the mounting hole.

When the switch arrives I'll post a picture then consider removing the Alfa fan (so I can go faster w/o that power robbing fan of course).
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

It's a bit hard to see, but it is very easy to make tabs from copper, attach brass bolts, and solder the whole thing to the front of the radiator. The overflow bottle is very unobstrusive as everything is mounted in front of the radiator. Everything is reversible except the one attachment point the aluminum bracket mount to. That is a 6mm hole no one would ever notice. The cars are getting valuable so I wanted better driveabilty, but made everything reversible.

I still have some wiring and cleanup. Newly painted engine bay and some touch up painting were the inevitable radiator reinstallment dings happen in the engine bay. The coolant overflow bottle has to be mounted low to avoid heating the hood bonnet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dr.G; 03-19-2017 at 05:17 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

A pull through fan is better than a push through for efficiency, but unless you mount two small fans, side by side not touching the water pump in the middle, you will not clear the water pump behind the radiator in the engine bay. This is a low profile SPAL 12" fan. It fits very well and you can slide the whole thing in mounted to the radiator. It's pretty quiet too.

I increased the engine capacity in my 1600 engine to 1700 cc, and had some overheating problems in stop and go traffic.. Turns out it may have been a side issue of a Romablock clamp on the lower radiator leaking after a transmission swap. Now I'm not losing water out onto the road from the outflow tubing, and have a fan that comes on only when the engine needs it. That is after the thermostat arrives and I get that water pump fan out. More scrapped knuckles.

Last edited by Dr.G; 03-27-2017 at 10:32 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Here is the radiator fan switch I bought off Amazon. I installed it in the water bleed port at the back as in the picture M14 1.00 pitch
Attached Images

ossodiseppia likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode