7Likes
  • 2 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By conedriver
  • 3 Post By Gubi
  • 1 Post By alfasrule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Car does not turn on

I've been trying to figure out why my 74 spider does not turn on. The battery has a good charge. I cleaned the contacts for the starter and the ignition coil. The starter does not turn the engine and I am able to push start it. There is a clicking sound coming from near the ignition coil. It is a small metal box but I'm not sure what it is or if it is affecting the car in any way. I attached a picture of the clicking box.
Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
I don't know the specifics of the 74's wiring but that looks like and old, crusty relay. Have you tried cleaning the connections? (keep track of where each wire connects) If no joy after cleaning replace the relay. A modern relay will likely be in a plastic cube but the terminal designations are likely unchanged.
alfaloco and sbadaro like this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- fuel injector cleaning
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 PM

Garage
First thing I would check would be the battery ground cable and engine to chassis ground cable. The grounds have to be clean, shiny and tight. Check your voltage between the battery positive post and the chassis ground, where the ground strap attaches. It should read the same as post-to-post. Check up front also at the engine ground and the cable leading down to the starter. Again, it should be very close to what the battery reads.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The car does not crank when you turn the key, but runs after push start with the key in the run position. Correct?
This may be classic Alfa ignition switch failure and has happened to me several times over my years of Alfa ownership. The crank contacts fail but the run contacts continue to function. If you are handy, do what I did with my autocross Spider; buy a push button at your local auto parts store, and wire this into the starter cranking circuit. My '76 Spider has been this way for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arachnidmagnet View Post
I've been trying to figure out why my 74 spider does not turn on. The battery has a good charge. I cleaned the contacts for the starter and the ignition coil. The starter does not turn the engine and I am able to push start it. There is a clicking sound coming from near the ignition coil. It is a small metal box but I'm not sure what it is or if it is affecting the car in any way. I attached a picture of the clicking box.
Thanks in advance!!
alfaloco likes this.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 03-16-2017 at 05:27 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Start by using a remote starter switch to verify the starter functions. If that's okay it very likely might be the ignition key.

One other more complicated potential issue may be (if I recall correctly) that the '74 originally came with a seatbelt lockout: the starter would not engage unless the seatbelt were buckled for occupied seats. These were supposed to be disabled a long time ago, but it's possible the remnants of the system may be causing problems. That relay that's clicking may be part of the lockout system.
alfaloco, rsims and sbadaro like this.

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Starter could just be stuck. Get a hammer and I use a 2ft 3/4 copper pipe and give the starter a wack while someone is trying to start it. If it works you need a rebuild.
If the starter clicks, it's a sure bet!
sbadaro likes this.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
Starter could just be stuck. Get a hammer and I use a 2ft 3/4 copper pipe and give the starter a wack while someone is trying to start it. If it works you need a rebuild.
If the starter clicks, it's a sure bet!
Been there done that, but once he gets it push started the starter should become disengaged and 'unstick' itself... at least briefly... my guess here would be the old relay / cut out switch...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode