Gas smell on 86 Spider, needs hose info - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By klharper124

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Gas smell on 86 Spider, needs hose info

Hi there,
From time to time my 86 Spider smells like gas. I saw the video clip that shows how to replace hoses, but don't have info for the hoses.

Would anybody know info for all hoses including length, diameter, silicone or regular?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Try Silicone Hose Kits

They sell various kits for fuel and vapor recovery, trunk and under the hood. You can also measure the inner diameter of your current hoses with calipers, and just guesstimate the lengths needed. That would be way cheaper. That said, I used Hiperformance store for everything. Lots of silicon hose except where a stiff wall was needed, such as the breather hose.

One drawback: silicon hose for the AAV is LOUD at first with air rushing through. You can really hear the hissing in my car, until the AAV closes. No big deal, I'm used to it now.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you John533i!
I'd like to have all hoses ready when I start the project. I will just replace hoses in the trunk only.
Does anybody have exact length, diameter, silicone or rubber information in the trunk hoses?

Everyone, thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you International.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

This reminds me- I have been battling a fuel smell since I bought the car. It's better but still there. Yesterday the last two pieces of the puzzle arrived: A new fuel filler boot, and the fill hose from the neck to the tank. I'm hoping that it's one of those two. My boot is ripped around the filler tube. The last video in IAP's series you posted shows the install of those two pieces.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Hi John,
Hope all is well.
Did it fix your smell? Would you be able to upload your photos?

Take care,
Orvieto

Quote:
Originally Posted by John533i View Post
This reminds me- I have been battling a fuel smell since I bought the car. It's better but still there. Yesterday the last two pieces of the puzzle arrived: A new fuel filler boot, and the fill hose from the neck to the tank. I'm hoping that it's one of those two. My boot is ripped around the filler tube. The last video in IAP's series you posted shows the install of those two pieces.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Garage
I went to Autozone with my hoses and we cut and compared sizes and that was that... Cheaper then anyone else...and they gave extra!!! Plus the rewards they have.. I had 20 bucks so it didn't cost me anything.

rob

Rob S, Cur.84 Spider,87 Milano.01 XK8,Prev 91 164L ,81 Spider,81 380SL,63 BJ8 Healey, 76 Spider,79 Spider,90 quad spider.348 Ferrari spider.Harleys
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Hi Rob,
Thank you for your message.

How about silicon vs rubber? I believe you can just use silicon hoses, correct?
How about sizes: metric vs standard? Do they carry both?

Thank you,
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Gold Subscriber

One other area that I have started to see cause gas smell in this era car. The charcoal canister is located on the right side in the passenger foot well. I have seen 2 of these now where the canister itself was rusted with holes and allowing fumes in. Mostly it gasses the passenger.

Kevin
Norseman50 likes this.

KL Harper
Mebane, NC yes another one from Mebane and it is not that big of a town.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:36 PM

Garage
I used silicone. I used the closest size to what I had. They have both... Used clamps and So far all good.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVIETO View Post
Hi John,
Hope all is well.
Did it fix your smell? Would you be able to upload your photos?

Take care,
Orvieto
I've been lazy, so they are thrashing around in my trunk still. The only non-rainy days we've had since then, I've been driving it!

I forgot- I did have an actual fuel leak also. The return line coming from the fuel rail. Also, the line to the cold start valve was wet, and later on, underneith the car, I tried to pull a fuel hose off of the pump and it came apart and had been leaking. Be sure and check that stuff, also!

The 'S' shaped hose from the filter to the pump is NLA, and if you try to replicate the bend with regular 7.9mm hose, it will kink. You will have to buy extra length and loop it around, then zip tie it up.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode