antifreeze for aluminum alloy engines - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

antifreeze for aluminum alloy engines

My '86 Spider's owner's manual says to use a special antifreeze for aluminum alloy engines. Is there a recommended brand for this? Does the entire cooling system need to be flushed rather than just adding to the already existing antifreeze?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to the_sicilian
ya you should flush. but its a bit more involved than many cars. there is a bit of bleeding that needs to be done to avoid air-bubbles. the bleed plug is brass and on the drivers-side of the engine at the back, behind the exhaust manifold and pipes.

Prestone works good. its really important that you mix with DISTILLED water and not just tap-water.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////The Sicilian ~ Guido
1990 Spider motronic
1974 Spider 1750
Los Angeles, CA

If your wife has ever had to say, "hey move this thermostatic actuator so i can make dinner"...you might be an alfisti.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
A thorough flush is a good idea. Although most brands of antifreeze will be compatable with others (meaning they won't turn into a slug of goo), mixing different types does minimize any advantage of any particular brand.

All the major antifreeze brands have products compatable with aluminium. I use Havoline or Prestone because I can get them anywhere.

The bleeding procedure is described in IAP's tech page: bleeding the cooling system.

To flush I drain the system then use lots of water (plain old tap water is fine for flushing) with the drains open. Then I close the drains and fill with distilled water (you can buy it for about $1/gallon) - use the bleeding procedure - and run the engine until it is warm enough to open the thermostat and circulate the clean water. Let it cool and drain that out. Do that once or twice more until what drains out is fairly clean.

Finish by adding the specified quantity of coolant and top up with distilled water. Bleed the system and you'll be all set. If you drain and re-fill every couple of years and use the same product to re-fill you won't need to do such a thorough flushing every time.

BTW, here's a tip for cleaning out the coolant reservoir: rinse it out then put in a handful of crushed ice. Shake that around inside the reservoir - the ice is abrasive enough to scour the inside without harming the plastic reservoir. Then rinse it out with hot water and the ice and scum will come out easily.

BTW #2, it is also a good idea to remove the radiator and take it to radiator shop (look for an 'old fashioned' shop that actually works on radiators vs a shop that just replaces them with new). They can either chemically clean & flush the innards or open it up to physically scrape it clean ("rod it out').

P.S. the Sicilian is describing the block drain (behind the exhaust manifold). The bleed screws are on the top of the water pump and the top of the intake plenum.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- fuel injector cleaning

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
System Flush Chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
A thorough flush is a good idea. Although most brands of antifreeze will be compatable with others (meaning they won't turn into a slug of goo), mixing different types does minimize any advantage of any particular brand.
Follow-up #1 - do you suggest using a packaged system flush chemical such as Prestone makes? Thanks, Bruce

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
)(
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Piper- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
I suppose a flushing chemical might help. Hopefully it wouldn't hurt...

My suggestion is a thorough water flush of the block and taking the radiator to a radiator shop for a cleaning. That's what I did with our '84 Spider (and MGA & MGB) and haven't had any problems with cooling efficiency. From then on proper maintanance will keep the system functioning well for a long while. Ignore the system (let the coolant stay in there too long) and then you'll have problems.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

- fuel injector cleaning
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:17 PM

The type of antifreeze can be important. The common polyethylene glycol, yellow, is not as easy on aluminum as polypropylene glycol, green, the stuff that dogs can drink. I use the green stuff. I'm sure others will work. Just read the bottle to be sure that you are satisfied before filling the cooling system.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Larry the Cable Guy
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, all of you. I agree that a good flushing seems a good thing and I appreciate the directions on how to do this. I really wanted to know specifics about antifreeze for aluminum alloy engines and Geezer has outlined the differences.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Platinum Subscriber

There was an extensive thread on the various options for antifreeze about a year or so ago, perhaps in the engine rebuilding forum. From memory, the OEM antifreeze from Honda dealerships came out well ahead of the generic versions. There was also a useful discussion about the compatibility of 'Water-Wetter' style products, too, if I remember correctly. Do a search!

Alex.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 AM

ya, the reason i dont know the bleeding screws is because 90+ motronic engines have a bleed-valve built into the system at the top of the intake manifold. (the return hose directly to the coolant overflow reservoir. my mechanic tells me that bleeding is absolete in late spiders. does that sound right?

1990 Spider motronic
1974 Spider 1750
Los Angeles, CA

If your wife has ever had to say, "hey move this thermostatic actuator so i can make dinner"...you might be an alfisti.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:21 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

It doesn't sound far fetched.

Newer cooling systems are designed to sort of 'burp' themselves when an air pocket comes through.

Old systems used the resevoir as a catch tank, so no real participation other than to prevent spillage in the event of a boilover.

New systems let the catch tank actually participate by feeding or bleeding the system as neccisary, hence the 'full cold' and 'full hot' level indicators instead of a simple singular 'full'.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Bleeding the cooling system. I've done a modification. http://www.veloce.se/MECH2.HTM Never a blown gasket since. An yes, I use Paraflu by FIAT as anti-freeze, never anything else.

1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, pi Duetto!.
My Duetto sites
and the Duetto Register
and
Duettoinfo

Last edited by Wille R.; 02-02-2008 at 01:25 AM.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 PM

great idea Willie. im going to be swapping out my thermostat on my 74 and will be reviewing this mod for myself.

very smart sir

1990 Spider motronic
1974 Spider 1750
Los Angeles, CA

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Grazie, io uso un serbatoio di un Volvo 343 1984, perche quello bastanza stretto. I am using a bowl from a Volvo 343 1984, they are small enough to fit on the firewall. Never blown a gasket since i did this arrangement.

Cordiali saluti Wille R.

1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, pi Duetto!.
My Duetto sites
and the Duetto Register
and
Duettoinfo

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Geezer,
Can't seem to find any polypropylene glycol antifreeze that you mentioned. Is there a particular brand that you use? Although it still contains ethyline (plus other ingredients), Prestone's top of the line 50-50 (use as is with water already in it) claims to be good for ALL engines, including aluminum alloys that we have. What do you think?
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moshier View Post
Geezer,
Can't seem to find any polypropylene glycol antifreeze that you mentioned. Is there a particular brand that you use? Although it still contains ethyline (plus other ingredients), Prestone's top of the line 50-50 (use as is with water already in it) claims to be good for ALL engines, including aluminum alloys that we have. What do you think?
I've found it under the names Sierra & Prestone Low Tox. Never tried the Prestone 50/50 stuff. I also saw GM 50/50 antifreeze, Dexcool I believe, that claims to be good with aluminum.

BTW I just pulled the head off of my '91 Mazda B2600. The original head gasket finally failed. 274,000 miles and no corrosion using polypropylene anti freeze.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Larry the Cable Guy

Last edited by Geezer; 02-03-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode