Moving and Need Advice (Car Security) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Moving and Need Advice (Car Security)

Moving to Philly in June and I'll likely not have a garage for my daily driver ('72 GTV). I DESPERATELY NEED ADVICE FOR KEEPING HER SAFE AND SOUND. I'm telling my wife she (the car) won't last a week on the street, but homes with garages are through the roof! Hoping to build a detached garage but that'll be a year out (if we can even find a home with space for that). What ideas have you guys been using for keeping your loved ones (the cars of course) safe when parked on the street, in driveways, or at stores?

Years ago I had a car alarm on my '93 civic in HS and that didn't stop someone from using a rock to punch through the side window and steal my stereo at night, while it was in our driveway too!

The only thing I can think of are steering wheel removers for the stock steering wheel, if that's even a thing? Any other ideas? I have 6 weeks to find an answer!!! Panicking is setting in...

Thanks Gents!
-Alec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:22 AM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
daily driver?

'72 GTV ?

Philly?

I will for you.
72GTV2000 and Alfaboutvegas like this.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sell. Before your heart gets broken, sell. Winter is coming, and with winter comes salt. Salt always wins. Selling an Arizona car -now- will leave you a nest egg with which to buy another Alfa later when things settle down. You won't get as much for your car after a year on the streets of a northern city. Especially since you'll be doing all your 40-year-old daily-driver maintenance on weekends, at the curb. Not to mention the fact that Philly is a park-by-ear city. Besides, it's a better memory to see her in your mind's eye as perfect than having a last vision of her with a tooth knocked out.

Buy a beater and move forward. You will sleep at night.

Too long/didn't read version: Sell now.
72GTV2000 likes this.

71 Spider

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
If you don't like Lokki's idea, do you have a family member or very, very close mate who has a property you could store the car at ... and buy a cheap beater.

Parking on the street will mean sleepless nights and heart break anywhere.
Pete
72GTV2000 likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARwrench View Post
daily driver?

'72 GTV ?

Philly?

I will for you.

Hahaha! Thanks! The car and myself could use all we can get!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
Sell. Before your heart gets broken, sell. Winter is coming, and with winter comes salt. Salt always wins. Selling an Arizona car -now- will leave you a nest egg with which to buy another Alfa later when things settle down. You won't get as much for your car after a year on the streets of a northern city. Especially since you'll be doing all your 40-year-old daily-driver maintenance on weekends, at the curb. Not to mention the fact that Philly is a park-by-ear city. Besides, it's a better memory to see her in your mind's eye as perfect than having a last vision of her with a tooth knocked out.

Buy a beater and move forward. You will sleep at night.

Too long/didn't read version: Sell now.
Lokki, can't sell her (the car that is)! We purchased her from a man in SoCal who's had the car passed along in his family since '78. He only sold it to me with a promise that I'd not turn around and sell her. I'm not sure how much time that promise covers, but man-to-man, I understand where he's coming from and honor it. We plan on keeping her a part of our family as "the" passed down heirloom. This was also a huge selling point to my wife to purchase her in the first place.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If you are unable to sell, I like PSk's idea of leaving her with family for a while .....

Sorry I sound so pessimistic about Philly, but the truth is, life on the streets is tough for an Alfa

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...410040865.html

http://6abc.com/news/2nd-suspect-in-...crash/1210838/

http://www.westphillylocal.com/2012/...eet-overnight/
72GTV2000 likes this.

71 Spider

Last edited by Lokki; 04-27-2017 at 06:32 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
If the street urchins, traffic, or potholes don't kill it, the road salt and rust surely will.

That's the wrong car to be daily driving in Philly, especially if you intend to do it year round.

bs
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
If that's the case, then why not look for some storage outside of the city? That should be a lot cheaper. Then buy a beater for everyday use. You'll be much happier commuting in an automatic Honda. Save the Alfa for clear weather weekends.

bs
72GTV2000 likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Garage
PM Me, Im from Philly, Dad's still there and just about everything I do is in the city...AND I drive the Alfa there and any other car, I just leave them unlocked so the Top doesn't get cut., and there are Garages you can Rent $180 a month or so. Depending on Where you want to live, Im a Realtor for PA and NJ so Hit me up and I might be able to steer you to someone... I moved to NJ for the garage,,,LOL Kidding,School System,,, I had a house in South Philly WITH a Garage, But your talking 400k up for those!!!!

Rob S
rogerspeed and 72GTV2000 like this.

Rob S, Cur.84 Spider,87 Milano.01 XK8,Prev 91 164L ,81 Spider,81 380SL,63 BJ8 Healey, 76 Spider,79 Spider,90 quad spider.348 Ferrari spider.Harleys
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Just looking on the 'net, I came across this site; I'm sure there are others.

https://www.sparefoot.com/Philadelph...r-storage.html

You might check with the local Alfa community to see what they advise.

That would be the Delaware Valley Alfa Romeo Owners Club which includes the Philly area.

http://dvaroc.org/

I wouldn't park an Alfa on the street in Tulsa, much less in a large metro area like Philly. I'd find storage for the next year and drive an older Civic-type vehicle until my garage was built.

Just to help out a fellow Alfisti, I could store it for you here in Tulsa

Ray
72GTV2000 likes this.

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 04-27-2017 at 10:41 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:09 AM

Garage
Sent you a PM with a Philadelphia contact.
72GTV2000 likes this.

Mike
1967 1600 Spider
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
Just looking on the 'net, I came across this site; I'm sure there are others.

https://www.sparefoot.com/Philadelph...r-storage.html

You might check with the local Alfa community to see what they advise.

That would be the Delaware Valley Alfa Romeo Owners Club which includes the Philly area.

Delaware Valley Alfa Romeo Owners' Club

I wouldn't park an Alfa on the street in Tulsa, much less in a large metro area like Philly. I'd find storage for the next year and drive an older Civic-type vehicle until my garage was built.

Just to help out a fellow Alfisti, I could store it for you here in Tulsa

Ray
Ray,

That's funny! Never been to Tulsa but I bet cars do not rust there! $85.00 for a storage is a great deal! I'll look around! I'm excited for the Alfa club. Also looking forward to the Cars and Coffee of Philly. Website looks good. Cars and Coffee Philly I fired an email to the mini dealer in Philly to see what kind of lease I can get with a clubman (I have a wife, 2 small kids and a dog and want a fun car with 3 pedals).

Thanks again!
-Alec
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Ray, just sent you a PM but I'm not sure if actually fired out, even after the second attempt.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshorey View Post
If that's the case, then why not look for some storage outside of the city? That should be a lot cheaper. Then buy a beater for everyday use. You'll be much happier commuting in an automatic Honda. Save the Alfa for clear weather weekends.

bs
You know those times when somebody wiser then you says something smart while offering advice but you don't like what they have to say...yea. haha No, I really do appreciate the help. I think you're right. I'm hoping we find something affordable with a garage, but it's not looking good. The problem is, after the cost of a storage unit plus a cheap lease, we're getting close to the same monthly payment as a house with a garage! Haha

-Alec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode