How many are still running in the UK? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to Green Berlina
Smile How many are still running in the UK?

Hi Folks, This is all new to me, a brand new just signed up member, I've been a fan of 105's since a friend of mine had a 2000 Berlina in the mid 80's. I finally took the plunge and bought one just like the one in my memory at the end of August last year. It smells the same, sounds the same, and is a hoot to drive. Does anyone out there have a good idea of how many of this particular model are still in use in the UK?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Theres about 30 guilia supers/Tis road registered,but regarding 1750/2000 berlinas ther as rare as hens teeth. Regards Dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Rare....

Ooo, so like pretty rare then? Its a good job I didn't bend mine when it got a bit sideways out in the rain today then.....
Old 02-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Youve got to remember its old and rear wheel drive,not easy to chuck around in the wet!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Youve got to remember its old and rear wheel drive,not easy to chuck around in the wet!
In actual fact they are really easy to chuck around in the wet. They're just not easy to keep neat in the wet. Really easy to get out of control. But tonnes of fun. Mwaaahaaahaaa.............
Old 02-26-2007, 03:07 AM

Yeah without LSD and an empty boot they can kick around easily enough. Sometimes my lina is still spinning its wheels in 2nd gear!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
There's about 30 Guilia Supers/Tis road registered but, regarding 1750/2000 Berlinas, they're as rare as hens' teeth.
I took a 4.3 LSD out of a 2000 Berlina not far from Chester last year, so make that one less. I think the owner was facing some large bills and so just decided to part the car out. The black interior was simply perfect, it was such a shame.

Alex.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM

You really need to lock-out those ZFs to 80% to make em really work, buts thats another story.-----dave
Old 02-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

When Richard Heseltine of one of the classic car mags had a green Berlina some years ago, I recall him speculating that there were maybe six operable in the UK. I have 11 on the Berlina Register, though I don't know how many stilll exist and/or run. Go to www.berlinaregister.com and follow the link to view the Berlina Register.

Andrew
Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 PM

Thumbs up 1 in 10? Maybe?

Richard, I did check out the Berlina register and find, like you say 11 listed in the UK. I know that at least 1 is no longer with us as it was broken for parts by Davey. Some of these parts were passed on to me when I took on the ownership of "Green Berlina". I'm guessing the LSD Alex refers to may have been from the same car (a red/black 1750 LHD with a 2000 engine). I suspect another Berlina I went to view late last year is not on your register, so there may be others. The only way I may get a true figure is to get in touch with the DVLA at Swansea to see if they can allow access to such information.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Yes, I don't figure my Berlina (or Giulia) records are complete, or completely accurate, for any country. There are plenty of cars that I just never hear of, people don't necessarily tell me when cars gets sold, wrecked, parted, and I make mistakes. It's all volunteer at every level.

Andrew
Old 02-27-2007, 02:09 PM

Question Berlina Registered!

Woo Hoo! Famous at last, i'm on the Berlina Register. Thanks Andrew. As we now seem to have a fairly good idea that this is indeed a rare vehicle here in Blighty I really ought to make it my mission to get it back into as good a condition as is possible.
Having only really used it as a play thing of weekends i've only just discovered that it has a rainwater leak from below the windscreen into the car behind the dash. Reading some stuff I found on the Register this seems to be a common problem. Can I get the cowl/scuttle panel off from the bottom of the windscreen without removing the screen in order to investigate how bad the rust/problem is?
P.S. Welcome back to Berlina Driving!!!

Last edited by Green Berlina; 02-27-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 PM

It's Berlinas we're talking about, so you're only Almost Famous, not Actually Famous.

Yes, on a rubber gasket windshield the wiper cowl should come off without too much trouble. Remove the wipers and their hold-down nuts, caps, washers, undo the several sheetmetal screws in the engine compt lip, then pry it up from the front; there's a sticky mastic substance that hold the front lip down. Once it's free, wiggle it out from under the windshield gasket, where there might be more sticky windshield sealer. There's a slightly longer tang under the gasket at each outer end.

Andrew
Old 02-27-2007, 02:47 PM

Fame....

Well, Ok, Slightly famous, Its there for the world to see . I'll have a go at the leak investigation when i'm feeling brave enough. It needs sorting even if only as a temporary measure to stop the carpets and electrics getting wet when it rains. The plan at the mo' is to run it daily (which may help with the poor starting) when the weather gets a bit better thru' the summer just to get a bit more familiar with all thing "Berlina" then see how it fares thru' the MOT test later this year to see what action needs to be taken in the restoration department.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The guy I bought that diff from lives near Northwich, his name's Dave Neary - I cannot remember the colour at all but I have a feeling it was white? PM me if you want his contact details.

Alex.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.