Big, big progress today. Finished hooking all the goodies up over the past week, set up the Spica, at least roughly, and fired it up today. Started pretty much first turn. Made a nasty scraping noise, which turned out to be the fan hitting the [somewhat deformed] fan shroud. Pulled that off, trimmed it a bit, and all's well. Sounds good, doesn't smoke, and doesn't have any visible smoke out the breather. However, none of the gauges is hooked up so I can't tell what's going on, though the PO reported good oil pressure and temp. It sounds good. The car's on jackstands, so I ran it through first and reverse in the air, and the clutch, gearbox, driveshaft, and axle seem to work.
Jaan Hjorth rebuild my rear u-joint yesterday, which took heat, a press, and finesse alternating with brute force. He said it wasn't fun, but it's a good result. Go Jaan! I also find I have a 1750 front driveshaft half and 2000 rear half. THe front has 8mm bolt holes, the rear 9mm. I may ream the front holes eventually, but it's probably fine for a stock engine, driven sanely.
It's still in the air because the steel rear trans mount isn't right. I had two of them, both with the four bolt holes aligned fore/aft. But this Berlina, and apparently all of them, has the four bolts splayed, the front two about 1" farther apart than the rear. So I need a different trans mount. For now I have it bolted in with two bolts, but that puts it a half inch or so offline, not good for the driveshaft. So I may wait to drive it on the ground til I sort that.
See pics of the engine in its glory, two of the mount misalignment, and one of the extra mount, the type I have installed, but not what I need. If you have a Berlina mount, let me know.