Berlina breed, thought extinct, discovered in wilds of Santa Clara County - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Yeah, did I catch that right? You selling the MGA? I can't imagine why... I thought that was part of the family.

Love the progress on the Berlina. Nice Guilia too.

How big is your garage, standard 2 car or bigger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

I am selling the Twin Cam (which my dad bought new and I've been driving and maintaining since 1975). Yes it's been a long process to decide to do so. Basically I've kept it the last 15 years because my wife couldn't stand to see it go. But I don't have a use for it or really even like it that much, and it really needs a full cosmetic restoration, which I'm not interested in. I want the space, and the money from it (among other things, college tuition is coming up), and it seems nuts to have it sit around doing nothing. Runs fine, looks shabby but lovable. I'll post a pic Monday.
Two-car garage that is about five feet deeper in its main bay than the normal cars I pull in, so I have room for a workbench and toolbox in front of the Berlina, and bunch of engines, tires, and junk in front of the Spider. It's wide enough on the side to have built-in cabinets and some shelves, and a couple more toolboxes. And to squeeze in a bunch of small MCs. Then, there's an add-on section through the back, in an L shape, that's the full width of the garage, and maybe 10 feet deep in its wide part, 4 feet in the long part. Mostly it's full of my wife and son's bicycles (triathlete and mountain biker), but I also have magazine storage there, and a fair number of parts. I feel fortunate to have this garage.
Really, what one needs is a garage with one more stall than one has cars. That way you have a place to park each one, plus a work space. And a high-enough ceiling for a lift would be good too. If we ever redo the garage, I'd like to add a third bay, go higher, and probably add an inlaw unit above. But we've done several projects on the house over the years and are still paying for them, so this is not in the short-term plan. Plus #1 son is headed for college in Sept, #1 daughter two years after that.
Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Yeah, sounds like it's time to go. The memories will live on. Good luck with the sale.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 PM

Got the engine in the Berlina today. Hooked up the hoist, jacked up the rear of the car as high as it'd go, and angled it in. Hoped to have a friend help, but he had plans so I did it myself. No problem really.
Engine/trans is in and bolted up, clutch is bled and checked (first thing I do in case there's a problem and it has to come back out), and I'm hooking everything. Another couple hours and it ought to be ready to test.
An engine hoist is really invaluable. If you have projects, once you have a hoist you won't be able to imagine how you got along without it.
In the pictures, the Berlina is "assuming the position" for engine/trans insertion while the MCs titter at the humiliating position cars get into. R5 Yamaha and Giulietta directs the insertion, almost in, and lastly, there it is buttoned up. It's really easier going in than coming out.
Rear driveshaft half has one stiff u-joint, so I'll have to get that sorted before driving. But I confirmed today I have the right driveshaft pieces, of the right length.
Andrew
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Moving right along - cool. And completely agree on having an engine lift - really handy.

Brakes already sorted, or does that come after the powertrain?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 PM

This car was operable til last summer, so most systems were function, except what the owner cribbed for his other Berlina. Brakes are complete and have a good pedal, so I'll drive it and see how they are. Clutch MC is OK, but there was no slave or hose, so I installed those new. Exhaust is complete and decent, if not new. Rear springs are really short aftermarket items, probably for a GTV, so I'll have to change those. But again, I'll drive it first and see what else there is to sort out before I pull them out and replace with stock Berlina springs, which I have in the Back 40 of the garage.
Andrew
Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 PM

There is a certain wisdom to driving her and having the items present themselves that need attention rather than immediately tearing into everything, ask me how I know that.

So driving around sometime this week maybe?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Maybe.
Yes, on a car like this I'm not going to spend money I don't have to. I will sell it at some point and don't want to get underwater on it. If I was planning to keep it, it'd be a different matter. On systems you can troubleshoot and repair easily without taking big stuff out, testing by driving is really the way to go; you've got nothing to lose. On a gearbox or clutch, while the engine is out, that's a different matter.
Andrew
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Makes sense.

BTW - the guys at the MGA forum are interested in the car.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM

Probably will just put it on BaT this week, which has a pretty good following. I'm on the Twin Cam email list and I've decided not to mention it there.
Andrew
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 AM

Oh, sorry if I shouldn't have mentioned it Andrew.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 AM

No that's fine. I said it was OK to mention it. The Twin Cam group occasionally has stuff for sale, but it's really more of a tech and info-sharing group, not a place to flog stuff. I just didn't think it was appropriate there.
Andrew
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Big, big progress today. Finished hooking all the goodies up over the past week, set up the Spica, at least roughly, and fired it up today. Started pretty much first turn. Made a nasty scraping noise, which turned out to be the fan hitting the [somewhat deformed] fan shroud. Pulled that off, trimmed it a bit, and all's well. Sounds good, doesn't smoke, and doesn't have any visible smoke out the breather. However, none of the gauges is hooked up so I can't tell what's going on, though the PO reported good oil pressure and temp. It sounds good. The car's on jackstands, so I ran it through first and reverse in the air, and the clutch, gearbox, driveshaft, and axle seem to work.
Jaan Hjorth rebuild my rear u-joint yesterday, which took heat, a press, and finesse alternating with brute force. He said it wasn't fun, but it's a good result. Go Jaan! I also find I have a 1750 front driveshaft half and 2000 rear half. THe front has 8mm bolt holes, the rear 9mm. I may ream the front holes eventually, but it's probably fine for a stock engine, driven sanely.
It's still in the air because the steel rear trans mount isn't right. I had two of them, both with the four bolt holes aligned fore/aft. But this Berlina, and apparently all of them, has the four bolts splayed, the front two about 1" farther apart than the rear. So I need a different trans mount. For now I have it bolted in with two bolts, but that puts it a half inch or so offline, not good for the driveshaft. So I may wait to drive it on the ground til I sort that.
See pics of the engine in its glory, two of the mount misalignment, and one of the extra mount, the type I have installed, but not what I need. If you have a Berlina mount, let me know.
Andrew
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Glad to hear the engine seems healthy - just "details" from here :-)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

Andrew,

I'll check through my stack of mounts tomorrow and see if I have one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.