1750a berlina automatic - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

I'll look; don't have it committed to memory.
Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM

wow thanks , it's so exciting to hear how it's all coming back to you and your Dad !!!!
Ok i'll be quietly ( anxiously really... ) await more news .....
she was basically new when you bought her.........

My father has been an alfista all his life , his first alfa was one of the first hand built 1900 prototypes of 1950 and from then on always alfas..... he raced in Italy in the 50's with the 1900 ti 's and later when we moved to canada with a 1750 gtv in the prarie region championship in the early 80's , he is now 83 but still regularly uses his 1750 berlina ( although he now find the steering heavy.... ) when in Italy , here in mexico where we spend our winters he ( we ..) has a giulia nuova super 1600 that he often uses.
I grew up in the alfa scene , racing etc... and have followed in collecting and preserving our alfas. We still have a 1900 ti super , a 1600 gta , a 1750 berlina first series 1968 , a 1750 berlina second series 71 , the nuova super 77 , a alfatta sport sedan 79 , and i just sold a 73 giulia super in italy... The 2000a i have in common with a dear friend in Italy who by the way is the "custodian " of my dear alfas when we are away for good part of the year.......
With my friend Mr Fabrocini when we were looking for the 2000 a we saw a few examples for sale in italy , a silver one in milan owned by a mr barlocco. and also a verde oliva metellizzato and a gold one also ... we liked the biege cava one also because we both had as kids in italy in the eraly 70's a model toy car in 1/23 scale of this car ( 2000 berlina ) from a special artesan toy maker factory called TOGI ( tonino Giocattoli) and both Mine and my friends were beige cava .... they were unique models ( today there are repros of this brand ) with full suspension , removable wheels , sterreing etc... and very heavy in weight.
Anyhow it really an emotion that you took the time to post this PRECIOUS info for us and i thank you .
I hope your dad finds these lost "archives.."......
Thanks
Yours truly
Giovanni Pirotta
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 PM

I was thinking about different files on the CD and chanced on poring through the e-mail correspondences between me and my late best friend. Eureka! I found some more photos at last!

The first one was in 1978 with Texas numberplates.

The second had the close-up of decal. Could this be only photographic evidence in existence?

The third showed the close up of gear selector (same as in 2000A).

The fourth one had the cover of the operating handbook for the automatic gearbox. (Sorry, I got the handbooks mixed up: the orange with black strip was for the car).

Giovanni, you have the solid proof of 1750A Berlina!

That will be all for now until we stumble across some more photos and perhaps the documentations elsewhere in the world...
Attached Images

Last edited by OliverTwist; 02-03-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 PM

We're all envious as hell, and now everyone's gonna want an auto Berlina. I have a 2000 sitting in my driveway with no trans, I guess I could convert.

Just kidding. There are a couple conversions running around with auto Bosch Spider engine/trans combos.

The 1750A badge is the ultimate in cool exclusivity. Congrats, sorry the story went the way it did. I recollect the car on ebay, but I was not one of the people haranging you.

Andrew
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM

I think andrew said it all !
incredible but yes we all want one !!! ha ha ha !
thanks oliver great great photos !!!!!!!!!
yes that 1750A is priceless !
i think a small book should be priented 1750 a , 2000a , 2000gtv a , alfetta a , alfa sei a !
all alfisti would have one in their shelf!!!
thanks
please keep in touch .......ciao
p.s .....
since ....at first ...there were no pictures ......then there was one....now the rest.....
is there any chance one the same note......that ...... a follow up on the current status of this " do do " alfa could take place ??
just wondering.....
giovanni . ciao .
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Jim, yes 1898 is the manual I have, in English. And yes, it's for the 2000.
Andrew
Old 02-20-2011, 03:55 AM

What a cool story. I have been following this thread for a while and am so pleased that proof of this ellusive and rare car has surfaced. I hope the actual car is discovered and is restored to its former condition. In Australia there seems to be more auto berlinas (2000s) than manuals on the second hand market. They have probably survived due to being owned by people who prefer to drive in a sedately manner.
cheers Tony
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

The next collectible?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Interesting production numbers for the 2000A...

LHD: 1076
RHD: 564
RHD CKD: 580

Total: 2220

Print number 1866 / 2/72 - (2700)

They actually printed more of these manuals in French alone than they ever produced cars of this model...

Last edited by Zaagmans; 02-23-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added owners manual
Old 04-24-2011, 04:37 PM

One additional photo

I was at our family home for Easter holiday and went through the photo albums in the basement. Unfortunately, we were able to locate only a few photos.

This one has a close-up of rear red fog lamp, a compulsory fitment in Germany. Sorry, we couldn't locate any additional photos at the moment.

Cheerios,
Oliver
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Hello Oliver ,
wow thanks it's really interesting to see anything regarding this car!!!!!
And thanks for remebering and posting again this picture!
My dear friend in italy who has a 2000 A 73 , was schepitc about this car actually exisitng , and i for years insisted to him , there are two mentioned in the register, with serials and all and he kept doubting,
when i sent him the first pics you sent us he could NOT believe his eyes...

as soon as common sense regained control the next comment was ,
we need to find one.....
ha ...ha... i told him .....
tough , but he is looking through a contact in germany maybe something may come up.....
Have a great easter
Giovanni pirotta
Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Leeran
Hi Guys,

I Have read this thread with interest and would loe to have a copy of the service manuel for the ZF 2000A as my car has the same gearbox.

Lee
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 PM

Never expected that I would ever write this... but we're currently looking to buy a 1750 Automatic...

The short version of the long story as to why:

My GF, Charlotte, has had 105's ever since she got her driving license. Even her very first car which she bought in 1993, a 1971 Giulia 1600 Super Biscione, is still with us today!

Over the past few years, she suffered from a hernia which deprived her of much of the force in her left leg. Beginning this year, a second hernia has been added to that and she simply can't depress a clutch pedal anymore.

So... her daily driver, a 2007 GT V6 3.2, is now in storage, the Biscione is just standing there in the garage and she's driving my Land Rover Discovery Automatic to get to work and back...

I want my Disco back! (just kidding!)

In order for her not having to say goodbye to ever driving a 105, we're now looking for a 1750 Automatic.

We definitely prefer the 1750 styling over that of the 2000 but with 252 1750A's produced, I know they are very thin on the ground... so, it's a longshot...

We would be grateful for any leading to a 1750A for sale...

Well, you get the picture...

Last edited by Zaagmans; 07-18-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 AM

....I disagree ......
252 is most likely the total production number, of 1750 a and 2000 a , there is no clear number on how many 1750 a's were made , if you are making reference to the fusi book for your numbers , beware for it is not quite as precise as some are lead to believe .... especially regarding odd production runs as these two cars are.. (there are several errors in fusi for exapmle in the gta 1600 and 1300 production numbers...etc etc..)
, anyhow there were far less 1750 a's made than the 2000 a 's , i have seen and found notice of maybe 15 still existing 2000 a 's but not even one 1750 a until Oliver posted the pictures and probably this car no longer exists.... and one more that is registered in andrews berlina register , but no photos or news, on it's existance today....

From the people i have talked to in Italy investingating this matter ( to which i have dedicated some time) including some old retired alfa romeo dealers and mechanics they metioned to me that MOST likely the 1750 a was the mule that alfa used to develop the 2000a ,and it was sold and tested mostly in the german market in a small artesan production (experiamental run ) , also they metioned quite correctly that that 1750 berlina production was a short scarce 4 .5 years( mid 67 to 71 -72 versus
the 2000 s 71 to - 78 run. hence the people that i quote told me that by the time the 1750 automatic was "developed" and ready to be produced the 1750 as a model was in it's last days.... and the project was simply passed over to the 2000 berlina assembly line for a modest total of 250 odd cars. in italy i can account for having seen about 6 2000 a 's in years past . if you look on auotscout24 in the giulia pages there is often a fellow that posts his for sale there , he had two but i think he sold one ...., i cannot rember his name right now, a yes , Mr Dugatto ! He has had at least 3 2000 a's in his hands in the last 10 years.
also in milan there is a fellow by the last name of barlocco that had a grey one .

anyhow , you are not the only one interested in having a 1750a.... as i mentioned in my earlyer posts , i myself have am also in LINE ......

i consider it (the 1750a ), as i stated in a past post that it is probably the rarest 105 giulia there is. next to the one off cars like canguro , osi , etc.... obviously it is by NO means one tenth as interesting as one of the special cars , nevertheless, i do not think anyone can deny that prior to my starting this post , and Oliver kindly posting his old pictures NO other pictures in any book , or known literature that i have seen have ever captured the small but interesting and unique details of this strange car.
I think if you are really interested in a automatic alfa you will consider yourself VERY lucky to find a 2000a in good condition there are some around in italy , also uk has a few as does australia.... as you probably know. also another option would be an alfetta sedan automatic or a sport sedan as known in the us , please note though that this model came as the us export version but also there was an italian version denomintated "america" but this italian market version was not built to us specs , such as bumpers , lights etc... , this second version is more desirable because it retains the superior performance of the italian carburatted version with euro exhaust etc etc .......
i immagine a 2000gtv is out of the question and also rather hard to find.
and this leads us to the last of
the "rare" automatic alfas the alfa sei (6) automatica . same zf transmission but v6 2.5 busso power with (in the first version) six glorious dell'orto single body carbs to play sinphony every time the gas is depressed.

Oliver have you found any more pictures of the 1750 ?
best regards
Giovanni Pirotta

p.s in the mid - late 50s there also was a 1900 berlina that had the possibility being installed with an automatic transmission ....
Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 AM

Hello Jack,

The production figure is arbitrary as Giovanni has stated: 1750A Berlina was a test run prior to the 2000A and Alfetta Automatic. The most commonly accepted figure is between 249-251. My car was 36th in the production (AR1780036) and possibly built in late 1970 as a 1971 model. Despite the lack of year imprinted on the compliance plate, German registry office entered 1971.

I have NEVER come across another 1750A even though I have seen a several 1750 with manual gearboxes, including the US version with matching red exterior and black interior in Dallas. The owner in that 1750 was shocked to see the automatic gearbox and couldn't initially be convinced that it was a factory installation until I showed him the handbook on operating and maintaining the gearbox. The only reference I received was from a British journalist who recalled driving a right-hand-drive 1750A in the United Kingdom.

Giovanni, sorry, I haven't found any more photos. My father and I went through the photo albums at his home, but nothing was found. My brother hasn't any time to look through his.

Regards,
Oliver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.