Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks Bill and Gavin, I will pull em apart and clean them up.

I just found the a of bog that was covering up the shoddy rear left bottom corner. Nasty. Rest assured it will be replaced with new metal. Boys are busy at the shop so my car is last in line for the moment.
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 AM

Nice restoration thread, Derek! Those rear bottom corners are typical rust problem area of these cars, what kind condition were inner panels of them? Jorma
Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM

Hi Jorma, the inner panel will need a bit of work to as it chewed away the bottom a bit. I'll leave that to the expert to figure out the best approach to that!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 AM

Derek, I cant wait to see this car in the flesh. Did you get my message the other day? I am trying to arrange a cars-and-coffee event once a month at TARGA, and try to get a few people down from Brisbane. Will let you know.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:24 AM

Hey Ben, sent you an email. A cars-and-coffee event at TARGA in Byron Bay?! Does it get any better?!! I cant wait to go to that. I would definitely spread the word up here. For those that don't know, Italiansedanman has two fantastic food joints in Byron - St Elmo which is a fantastic, happening bar/cafe/dining restaurant and Targa, his latest venture which serves great italian food, wine, coffee etc. Go visit in your Alfa and I'm sure you'd get a good reception!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to aikendrum105
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
A cars-and-coffee event at TARGA in Byron Bay?!
... grumble grumble Melbourne grumble grumble bit far from Byron Bay grumble grumble

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV
'92 Pug GTI <-- hey, this counts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Of course... it's not all bad.... World's most liveable cities 2011 | Melbourne beats Sydney

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Well a small update on how I am progressing. I am doing the odd trip to the shop just to strip some of the fiddley areas of the car. I am now confident the engine bay is pretty much done, I cant wait to put a rebuild engine into a clean bay, just have a look at the earlier photos in this thread to see what a difference it will be!
Name:  IMG_3885 (Medium).jpg
Views: 780
Size:  39.5 KB

Found this stamped in the groove at the top edge of the boot/trunk space.
Name:  IMG_3882 (Medium).jpg
Views: 776
Size:  24.1 KB

I also figured I might as well do the tray under with windscreen cowl even if it isnt seen, nice to know it is clean.
Name:  IMG_3883 (Medium).JPG
Views: 773
Size:  62.8 KB

Last but not least, I am pleased to announce my NOS battery tray has finally arrived from Germany after a 3 month wait. Apparently Aussie Customs is making packages from Germany go by sea since November. That at an $9 surcharge on items over 450grams being sent to the US are my current postal gripes!
Name:  IMG_3879 (Medium).jpg
Views: 775
Size:  23.3 KB

One other thing of concern, my car has a definite lean to the right side. Now I know it will have a tank of fuel to balance it a bit more, but I think it is more than that, what could be broken that I should look at?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

Battery box

Hi Derek,

Did you source your battery box from OKP? I need one for my Ti project.

Stu Moss

'65 TI
'67 Super
'67 Duetto
'68 Berlina
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Derek,

Have you checked all bushing? Another area to look at is spring heights. Measure them in the car and then out, you might have a sagged one. Something else to check would be the shocks, they might be binding on rubbers ( ensure any shocker rubber is not bulging as this means they are too tight and restricts movement). Also check the spacers. The drivers side should sit a little higher to compensate for the drivers weight, having no weight in your car could exacerbate the problem. Hope this helps a little.
Jim
Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 PM

Stu, the battery tray was from an ebay shop - seller is TST-rettberg. He does have a lot of NOS parts but this was the only tray. Wouldn't surprise me if OKP had one as they have lots of goodies that arent listed on their site.

Jim, I will need to have a good look around the suspension, thanks for a few tips on what to look for. I will get new springs too, where did you get yours from?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Derek,
I am running performance springs, from PACE. However, you are probably after standard type. You could speak to King Springs in Qld, failing that ...Highwood, Classic Alfa, Alfa holics or Spruell Motorsport in the US, they are reasonably priced also, considering the AUD exchange. Have a look at their websites.
Jim
Old 03-01-2011, 04:59 PM

Yeah, the Pace ones are probably too stiff for a daily driver. I have koni reds to go on, and currently it has 205/50s on widened 15" steelies which I will change to 195/65s so I might need to take it to a suspension shop up here that does a few Alfas to see what they reckon. I just checked King's catalogue and they only list rears for 105's but I will give them a call and see what they have to say.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 PM

My super had a slight lean to one side which turned out to be the front anti-sway bar.

On the early cars, the sway bar has a cylindrical rubber bush pressed onto either end - which is a press fit inside the drop link. then the drop link curves around under the closest spring pan bolt and mounts between two conical rubber bushes on the extended shaft of that bolt.

On mine - both the cylindrical bushes had chewed out (probably because the drop links were installed on the wrong sides - they have a slight lean to them, and should lean in towards the center of the car when bolted to the spring pan)

On one side, the sway bar had pulled out of it's cylindrical bush - and was pushing down on the top of the drop link - applying just a little upwards body movement on that side of the car. To look at, you'd think it would flop about once it came loose - but it sat there determinedly.

Mine has stock springs (but I haven't measured them), with 10mm spacers between the spring pans and the A-Arms, and runs on Koni yellows - which are a lot softer on default setting than I thought they'd be. Perhaps it's more the rebound where there's a marked difference.

I'll take a pic of the front arch height above the wheel for you Derek if that helps with your deliberations any Personally I think it could go a smidge lower again so the arch is evenly spaced around the wheel all the way around. (but that will involve cutting springs, or larger spacers on the arms..) I wanted to let it settle after a few weeks of daily driving before I touched it again.

Oh - standard steel/rubber mounts under springs in pan - but no other spacers fitted. I wonder what the weight diff. is between the 2L and the 1600 too ....

Cheers,

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Last edited by aikendrum105; 03-08-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 PM

Scott, thanks for more possibilities to check. I am quite hopeful once all the new suspension bushes, arms etc are fitted it will even out.
Got a nice big box from Classic Alfa the other day, lotsa suspension and driveline bits plus the left outer sill panel to complement the right outer that I already had. Thankfully the middle and inner will clean up ok. The same cant be said for the inner panel on the rear right bottom corner though! Once again the PO bog sculptor had been at work. The panelbeater at Impact had to cut a fair bit out and fabric a new inner skin which thankfully wasnt too hard to get too with the fuel tank out. I'll take a photo next time I'm out there of it. This photo is just the test fit of the external patch panel. Boy my car is getting lighter now with all this filler removed!
Attached Images

Last edited by alfa2go; 03-13-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.