Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 AM

Nice going Derek,

I cant wait to see all the shiny bits installed on her
Colour choice??

This will be an early Super with short outer handles, supposed to come with a cross over air filter, right?

Regards,

SOO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 AM

Hi again Derek,

I just saw that you have the dimpled kind of outer headlights with the block letter script/font Carellos and the inner headlamps are the correct cursive Carellos, you want to do a swap??? I have the cursive script large lamps NOS.....
Old 01-12-2011, 07:03 AM

Deal. these are NOS and RHD I know the block letter ones throw a better light but I was originally looking for the cursive script ones. Yes my car has the crossover air filter, just have to see if I can find the clamps. I hope I have some in a box somewhere...

Last edited by alfa2go; 01-12-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to aikendrum105
The great work progresses ! I don't think I'll have the chance to fully strip / restore / repaint a chassis for a good while yet - so I'll live vicariously through your thread here instead

the panels all look pretty straight - how many layers of primer / filler / paint did you uncover ? mine seems to have about 3 - so the fold lines on the car are a little rounded rather than nice and crisp like yours !

While I remember, those little plastic plugs for the headlights - I found these at Repco - perfect fit, the only diff. being a square front profile, rather than round.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV
'92 Pug GTI <-- hey, this counts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikendrum105 View Post
The great work progresses ! I don't think I'll have the chance to fully strip / restore / repaint a chassis for a good while yet - so I'll live vicariously through your thread here instead

the panels all look pretty straight - how many layers of primer / filler / paint did you uncover ? mine seems to have about 3 - so the fold lines on the car are a little rounded rather than nice and crisp like yours !

While I remember, those little plastic plugs for the headlights - I found these at Repco - perfect fit, the only diff. being a square front profile, rather than round.

Cheers,
Thanks Scott, those plugs will work well, I'll get some soon.

The panels are all pretty straight which is good. Mine is mostly original paint so comes off with a sanding disc to the metal quite easily. Other than the nastiness at the front that I have replaced, I found the rear left lower corner to be terrible when I was stripping it last night. I've just put in an order for the patch panel. It had some rather thick bog over it since whats left of the original metal is banged in a couple of centremeters.
Name:  IMG_3520 (Medium).jpg
Views: 897
Size:  40.0 KBName:  IMG_3518 (Medium).jpg
Views: 896
Size:  33.6 KB
The rear right corner was actually pretty good as it had no penetrating rust holes and the panelbeater was able to get it back to the correct shape with very minimal filler used for the finishing.
Name:  IMG_3513 (Medium).jpg
Views: 893
Size:  27.6 KBName:  IMG_3512 (Medium).jpg
Views: 900
Size:  39.6 KB
Adrian (shop owner) also filled in the aerial hole (metal) and repaired some rust in the bottom of the A pillars while I was there.
Name:  IMG_3511 (Medium).jpg
Views: 900
Size:  39.2 KB
Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
but I was originally looking for the cursive script ones.
Derek, if you happen to have a worn Passenger outside headlamp with the cursive Carello in your bits and bobs - I'm hunting for one - mine has a stonechip hole - not good for the bulbs

Worn being the operative word - the other three lamps have light pitting on the glass, and the reflectors are lightly corroded too.

Cheers

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

hej Derek,

Interested in talking to you about Impact body works. I did a drive by yesterday and it looks like a nice clean shop. I want to have the Duetto repainted properly and there are some body bits (reskinning the boot) that'd rather leave to a professional.

I'd be interested in talking to you about how're your approaching it with them, rates etc, if they're likely to have room in a few months for another Alfa

Cheers
Craig McLeod
'gabba
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Hey Craig,
Rates are a hard one to compare as I know Adrian, hence he lets me do the grunt work rather than sticking the apprentice on it! He is quite reasonable though from others I know that have used Impact Panel Works. As mentioned before he has the good gear in there, new booth, rack, etc and a pretty good time management setup. I spotted a big LCD with a barcode scanner in the workshop. Apparently for accurately recording project and staff time. I was impressed by that. There is a pretty high end Merc, etc restorer (SB) over the back fence and I heard they want to use Impacts booth as it is much better than theirs.
I have always been hesitant in recommending friends' businesses just because you tend to have a biased view, but Adrian is a professional with very high standards for his staff's work and big goals for the business. He'll give you an honest opinion and quote. He used to work in a prestige paint/panel shop and was always the one entrusted with the big dollar cars. I've seen a few classics going through his shop lately, he loathes the rice racer stuff as much as me, and is keen to do more of the real classics!
If you are talking rolling the duetto in a couple of months hopefully you can have my spot! PM sent with my phone number if you want a chat.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM

Well its still slowly, slowly over here on the Super. It is progressing but I'm having a bit of trouble finding time to get over to the shop to finish the stripping. Still cheaper for me to do it this way so I shouldnt complain!

I'm also still waiting of some metal from Europe - lower right repair panel and a NOS battery tray. Its the early one with the metal side guard that they dont reproduce, yet.

The rear panel looks pretty good. A bit of damage around the bumper mounting holes and a touch of rust to repair but the lower edge is perfect which is nice to find. I also had a win finally getting the last of the hinges and door latches off the B-pillars. Hopefully next visit will be just getting some of the last fiddly bits stripped and then its all in the hands of the pros!

Sorry for the phone photo quality but in the last pic you can see my car lusting over a beauty that just arrived for some minor repairs.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2011, 04:29 PM

I'll be heading over to the car again this evening will do a better update after that. But just wanted to say thanks to Barry Edmunds for the RHD Tipo plate and indicator spear gaskets I bought off him. Its the little things that are hard to find that feel like big wins when you get them!
As you can see my old Tipo plate is a bit worn...
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Actually, got a question. Which headlight bucket did a 66 Super come with? The solid bucket type or the ones with the removable back cup. Gotta decide which ones to clean up.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi mate - the new Tipo plates Barry had made are fantastic aren't they

My Super has the removable back cups - as did the Duetto.

Hope that helps

If you come across some extra spares of the slip on rubber covers that go on the back of the smaller headlights - having trouble finding some- I have one that's perished but serviceable.

Cheers,

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Excellent thanks Scott! I have at least one spare rubber cover for the back of the inners. I'll shoot it down to you.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Hi Derek,

Your Super resto looks like it is progressing well - can't wait to see the finished product.
Headlight buckets on my Super are the ones with the removable backs also.
PS: my tipo plate looks exactly like your original one too.

'66 giulia super
2007 147JTDM

Last edited by billm105; 02-13-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: PS added
Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Australian Member
Gold Subscriber

Hi Derek. Re the outer h/light buckets. The ones with a separate cap were used up to approximately April 67. (Of course always remembering the rider that AR used up what ever was left over from LHD production on CKD and RHD vehicles). So you will be OK using the 2 piece buckets on the Super. I didn't realise Barry had some .28 plates made, I was about to get some done, so thanks mate, I've sent barry an email re these. I need 1 for KC's car and 1 for mine. GBC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.