Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 28 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Another before shot on the way to the blasters.

Name:  IMG_1561.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  56.8 KB

One interesting thing that happened when I was getting my alloy bits cleaned was that the cam cover revealed some nasty flaws in the casting. I have seen some pretty nasty casts before but this was just below the surface possibly due to some impurities. Lucky I have a spare.

[ATTACH]Name:  IMG_1625 (Large).jpg
Views: 750
Size:  39.9 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

Derek,
Is it as shiny as it looks? Or is it close to original finish? Wern't the early casts done in sand?
Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 PM

The flash is probably making it look shinier than they are. That and there is a bit of WD-40 on them I think. They are a pretty flat finish. The air plenum crossover bits are quite a rough cast. I have a few early dip cam covers with no tabs and they have a pretty smooth finish.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum and was wondering if you could help me.
Do you know where I can buy a carpet set for my Giulia Super.
Alec
South Australia
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Alec,
Welcome! May I say "without bias of any kind, you have made a superior choice of model".
You can have them made by a local trimmer which will be much cheaper than buying overseas. You can get a better quality of carpet as well. However if you are looking for a factory look or have a restored car where look is everything try here Elvezio Esposito Tappezzeria Auto Epoca e Moderne
Jim
Old 06-02-2012, 05:50 PM

Hi Alec, yes great to have another Aussie Super owner on the board. You need to start your own thread on you car cos we all love pictures here! As Jim said, if you have old carpet that a trimmer can make templates off then that is probably a safe bet. If not most of the UK suppliers have sets but not necessarily totally correct. Another very good Italian trimmer is PAOLINI snc - Interni Auto
Old 06-03-2012, 04:18 AM

Thanks Jim and Alfa2go,
my car was bought as a project from a wrecking yard in Adelaide. I have restored the body and fitted a twinspark engine, the conversion is just about mechanically complete needing fuel pump and lines installed( made my own injection system using spica throttle bodies and home made intake manifold).
I dont have any carpets to use as a pattern hence my question.
Will post some photos soon
Regards
Alec
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecjackson View Post
Thanks Jim and Alfa2go,
my car was bought as a project from a wrecking yard in Adelaide. I have restored the body and fitted a twinspark engine, the conversion is just about mechanically complete needing fuel pump and lines installed( made my own injection system using spica throttle bodies and home made intake manifold).
I dont have any carpets to use as a pattern hence my question.
Will post some photos soon
Regards
Alec
You'll make a couple of the Melbourne boys happy knowing there is another TS Super down south. Good onya for rescuing another Super. Look forward to seeing your intake setup too. There'll be plenty of help on this forum if you need to get it running sweetly. One of themelbourne guys must have a trimmer that still has there carpet templates I would think.

If you get a chance you should add your car on my website. It's getting quite the collection of Aussie Supers. alfa-male - Classic 60's Alfa Romeos
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Realised my thread was four pages down in the Sedan section. That reflects how slowly I am progressing at the moment!

I've nearly finished putting all the extra bits back in the engine bay. As you can see from my pics it was not in a good state. Lots of stuff in the wrong place or just plain wrong. I'm not a purist or stickler for perfect concours stuff but I just want it to be 'nicer'. The B&W pic is from a 1966 road test of a RHD Super.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Gold Subscriber

Alec, Thanks for rescuing another Super from the scrapmetal people. Are you aware of any history of the car?
Would like to add your car to the Register - giulia105@optusnet.com.au and add you to the mailing list for the Register Newsletter.
Barry
Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 PM

Well after some coaxing by AikenDrum105 I decided to pull by heater box for a bit of a looksies on Saturday night. I had to replace the heater hose anyway since I'd cut it at the firewall. The box came out ridiculously easily after just undoing two bolts on one side it dropped down and slid out. It wasn't too uncomfortable either since I haven't put the front seats back in yet.

It had been used for rodent accommodation sometime back in the '08 judging by the shredded receipts. The was no sign of a rodent and it didn't stink like I would have expected so maybe it was a temporary home! I promptly disassembled everything and stripped the paint and corrosion, primed it and gave it three coats of satin black epoxy enamel. Short trip to Clark Rubber to see what I could use. Unfortunately didnt have a good size grommet for the hose into the side of the box. The original grommet is quite tight around the hose and I couldn't find one with the right size inner diameter.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 PM

Got some foam sheet which looks like it could work for the strips of foam. Will it work? No one sells the top rubber seal unfortunately, what have others done here? I have one seal of a spare box that isn't too shabby so I may just go with that.

Pretty sure my heater valve diaphragm is stuffed!

I've got all the replacement bits I could find in transit from the UK so hopefully it will all be back together this coming weekend.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
I used foam weather stripping and sheets from a home supply store:

Old 09-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

Derek
At a rough guess I'd say that you are correct about the diaphragm. They do have a habit of swelling up with age etc. I had a similar problem with mine and the new one fixed that problem. Just had to make sure the heater tap arm had full swing otherwise tap wouldn't open fully to allow flow of water. It was fouling on one of the bolts above that holds the heater unit in place.
Obviously that heater had been in situ for a very long time. Can't believe how much rubbish there was.
Barry
Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Hey Derek, having a go at the heater now. Did that on my Spider a few years ago. Below is my link to my resto thread and to the thread that inspired me.

My inspiration thread - LINK

My heater resto hread - LINK.

And "bluing" for the real fanatic - LINK

PS: I think the metal valve bodies are pot metal and not too strong or corrosion resistant. They have lasted a long time but when the rubber diaphragm gets old and swells up, especially after a layup, it's all down hill as flow ceases and nasties accumulate. Mine was solid with white and green crystals and a badly swollen diaphragm.I've only replaced the diaphragm 3 times now in 32 years. I will flush it by opening the valve for awhile every week now. Pics posted.
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK

Last edited by Anfanuts; 09-18-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.