Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 27 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Here is the link to Robert's thread.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-...lve-cover.html

I started with 120 grit as there are few imperfections in my cover. I am just using a soft sanding block by hand but I am sure to pull out the dremel for the tricky bits, lettering etc. Currently dry sanding but like Robert will wet sand with the finer stuff.

Here are some links to the guys I am using for my alloy cleaning. It is wet glass bead blasting.

Ardelve. Your first choice for parts cleaning equipment.
Classic Carbs - We can supply a kit to suit the vast majority of USA and many European and English carburettors for cars and commercial vehicles.

A nice pic on the second link of an Alfa engine. Pretty sure it is Gavin's red Super.

Last edited by alfa2go; 03-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks Derek for the various links. I can certainly see from Robert's work what is involved, for me, there is the similarity between that and the french polishing work I do on all my antiques and the joinery in my old houses.

Most people havn't the patience for such work. Great to have the methodology all laid out. Right, I think I have some work ahead of me Good evening projects.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Derek looking good a question those nos c pillar badges are they metal if so where can i get some. Also we have an addition to the family a big bro for Myrtle (2000 GTV) same colour and trim combo rescued from Mexico Pics soon also Gavin will be pleased to know a space has been cleared in the workshop for the ute (I will start a separate thread for the rebuild) Just got to shift a few cars to get to it .John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 PM

Hi John, I chanced across them on ebay a few years back. They are plastic. I know there are repros out there now. I haven't seen them side by side with originals though.

Rebuild of the shed or the ute John?...
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Derek Thanks there are some on ebay now plastic they look just like those 30 euros each. Not the shed the ute and the two coupes The shed is fixed and sorted only 105 all the 116 etc outside john
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Australian Member
Gold Subscriber

Hi John. Re C-pillar badges. Several years ago I had some made for me by Frankie Mazzini in Victoria. EXACT repro of the ones I showed him. He can produce them in any diameter and with variations that you ask for, to cater for the slightly different types used by AR. Gold or silver and they are solid sealed acrylic resin. He has reproduced a number of them and sells at $35.00 (last time I spoke to him). Not sure if he has a web page but his email is frankiemazz@yahoo.com.au Ph:0488488642. Here is a photo of one of the gold badges.
Yes, good to hear the ute has made it to the workshop (finally), Kathy and I are in Tassie at present but I will be round to check on it next month!

I found these pdfs last week, couple of photos taken in '87-'88 at Tugun and Currumbin. I am now trying to find the originals to get copies to you. (Sorry for the slight hi-jack here Derek). Gavin
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Alfa 2L Ute G & KC 1987_88 Currumbin.pdf (210.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: pdf Alfa 2L Ute GB & K Campbell Currumbin '88 #01.pdf (237.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso 2300S View Post
I found these pdfs last week, couple of photos taken in '87-'88 at Tugun and Currumbin. I am now trying to find the originals to get copies to you. (Sorry for the slight hi-jack here Derek). Gavin
Now that is cool ute Gavin! I'd have me one of those! Lucky you John.

Anyway, nothing much happening in my corner. Just feeling sorry for myself for not getting to go on Turismo Tasmania with all those other Alfas this weekend! I did however clean/reseal my fuel tank and strip and paint it with POR-15. Should last a few more years now.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Wow, eye popping - you could eat your lunch off it if you don't mind the fumes!!

How does one clean and reseal the inside of these fuel tanks Derek ?

Looking for New Old Alfa Stock? http://www.ar10537.com/

Do it right or don't bother.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 PM

I just used a kit from KBS Coatings. Its pretty much identical to the POR-15 related kit. Recommended to me by the guys at the Auto Paint store (they sell both). All you are doing is sloshing around a heavy duty degreaser/cleaner, then a rust remover/etcher, then the sealer. The sealer is meant to be a super tough, impervious coating that can even remedy pinholes etc.

Petrol Tank Sealer - Fuel Tank Sealer - KBS Coatings
PPC - Tank Repair Kits
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Ute in workshop

Hi Guys Ute in workshop at last now the hard part I will start a thread for it john
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

that looks familiar... I was there just the other weekend, great to meet you John
Wheels are out being blasted and power coated as we speak.
One (fergat) may be internallyrustedtolawnartbuggery.. we'll see
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 PM

Farout !! Now that is a ute I think I could cope with. Normally I hate utes and have totally resisted the push from the missus to get one for our country place, but a Berlina, hmn yes could be tempted. Will be keen to see this finished.

I recall the Giulia Super ute (alfacamino) in the US that seemed to pop its head up every now and again on various interweb sites.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Love the ute. What's the history of the car?
MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon - daily driver
Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Mate I dont want to hi jack derek"s thread so i have started a separate one regards john
Old 05-15-2012, 04:17 PM

I've been sorting a few smaller bits out as I get ready to fill the engine bay back up. I had the Bonaldi booster rebuilt. A few little tweaks there that I will post about later. But as for some more photos, here are my engine components looking lovely and clean!

I had them vapour blasted by Jason at Rust Busters. I felt confident to go with him as he and his father-in-law are very familar with Alfas, Fiats etc. Ardelve. Your first choice for parts cleaning equipment.

Taken from their website:

The process is applied using graded spherical glass beads in our Vaqua high performance aqua-blast machine, which simultaneously degreases and provides rust inhibition.
With the Vapourblast process there is NO IMPREGNATION of the surface and no damage to sharp edges and precision surfaces

I am very happy with the results. The block isn't in the pics as there was a bit of corrosion on the #1 cylinder liner seat that is getting rectified. Also attached is a before photo!
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.