Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 17 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 10-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsu105 View Post
Hi Derek,
Wonder whose is going to get painted first??? Some delay for mine as painter insisted on resanding and priming again.
This is no doubt you will win this race! I am trying to raise funds to catch up with the bodywork bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 AM

On the brink of bankcruptcy soon too with my projects.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:29 AM

It does make it hard to complete the car when my 4 year old daughter decides to finish off the tickle fight I was having with my 2 year old by coming in with a flying fist! Dentist bill: $5000

Oh well, I'l do what I have to do. Anyone need a kidney?

On another note I am babysitting my brother's car and I took it for an italian tuneup after work yesterday. It is now tuned...
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
No thanks on the kidney, I'll stick to buying other people's restos . . . . . . . at half price
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to aikendrum105
That's some right hook Derek ! Yeowch !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
... at half price
That almost sounded like 'The truth about restos' which we daren't think about, let alone discuss. in fact I've repressed it already. What was I talking about ? Oh look, shiny thing...

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV
'92 Pug GTI <-- hey, this counts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
You know I exaggerated . . . a bit . . . but it is the unfortunate truth when you look at the prices that nicely resurrected and restored cars go for. I'm just too lazy and unskilled to take on a major resto and really admire you guys who take these projects on, and the future buyer really appreciates your efforts ((left jab ) . Onya mates, Bruce
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to aikendrum105
I think there's a perverse relationship between the cars and the restorer sometimes. Sometimes it's not so much about enjoying the car long-term - but more about the daring rescue, the 'safe home', and then the 'putting it to rights', all culminating in handing it on to someone else to enjoy when you find another basket-case to adopt.

Unfortunately - you pay the price fiscally, emotionally and temporally for the 'privilege' of returning the car to it's former glory, perhaps with some mod cons / updates thrown in to put your stamp on it, before you release it back into the wild.

I'd dearly love to fix up a Citroen DS... Brilliant engineering - all those hydraulics to bleed... I'm such a masochist....

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV
'92 Pug GTI <-- hey, this counts
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM

The DS is an easy car if you accept it was ahead of its time even in access & maintenance. Just like a modern car there is a hell of a lot of dismantling before you can get at much. Brilliant car but when I work on our DS I allow 3 times the period I would allow to do the job on one of our Alfas.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 AM

Aww c'mon guys, I'm trying not to think about how much this is costing! I think I'd rather be ignorant of the total bill once all is complete. Just keep the eyes to the front and don't look back!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 AM

Smile

I can attest Derek, when it comes to these projects; ignorance is bliss.

You've still got that GT to build too!! Lol.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
I can attest Derek, when it comes to these projects; ignorance is bliss.

You've still got that GT to build too!! Lol.
I know! as much as I am focused on my Super I can't get my coupe out of my head and what I want to do to it no thanks to you! I do like that dual master cylinder setup from Alfaholics...
Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Spent a few more hours on my car last night. It is nice doing the final sand. I just wanted to glide my hands all over it cos its so smooth, but I keep getting told of with 'keep your greasy mits off it!' If I want the paint to stick I should listen to my painter!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 PM

yeah - sand it with latex Derek!!

What brake system are you going to end up with in the super - standard ?

PS I think you'll focus on that GT again soon Derek. I managed to collect a few more nice trinkets on my current meager budget.

Last edited by pancho; 10-18-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
yeah - sand it with latex Derek! What brake system are you gogin to end up with in the super - standard ?

PS I think you'll focus on that GT again soon Derek. I managed to collect a few more nice trinkets on my current meagher budget.
The Super will stay single circuit, with a new master cylinder, rebuilt bonaldi booster, ATEs on the back and GTV6 Brembos on the front (you know where they came from)

As for the GT, I was thinking about it again last night. It is a nice clean shell but with need of tiding up a few panels that werent done to my liking so it will move along fairly well when I do start. I do like the AH dual master cylinder setup for it, and will wait to see how yours all comes together.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks for that Derek - no pressure now! Your GT looks to be in excellent shape. I wish.

Do you think you could/should go dual circuit on the Super ? or not possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.