F12 trip Chicago to Berkeley - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Well it took forever but I got the LF brake caliper rebuilt, reinstalled it today. It's functionally the same as a BMW 2002 tii or 3.0 coupe or sedan, but the inlet ports are different.

So installed it all, started to bleed, and go no fluid at the back. Hmm. Pondered and poked, got good fluid at the front, as well as the clutch, which uses the same reservoir. MC is a single circuit Giulia TI part.

After breaking various lines loose at the rear, finally figured I was getting fluid into the proportioning valve but not out of it. It has a moving piston, like a Fiat 124, based on axle height and presumed forward pitch as a result. A little arm connects the piston and rocker shaft, which are mounted on the body, to a link on the trailing link. It's one solid rusted piece, I fear. It's not the same as a 115 proportioning valve, so I'm going to have to figure something out here, route around, hollow it out, make new lines, we'll see. It's not the end of the world, but I was looking forward to gettin' this sucker out of the garage after six weeks. No brakes; not yet.

Andrew
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Success; decide to just make a new rear brake delivery pipe and bypass the proportioning valve altogether, which is now comfortably on the shelf. With Conrad's help, made a new pipe using original ends, it's about 10 ft long, and threaded it into the frame. Works great, good brakes now. I need to bleed a bit more, but it's way better than before, and I have rear brakes for the first time.

Andrew
post #78 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Rebled 'em after a few days' sitting and now all good. Also took apart the cold-start glow plug to see if I could get better winter starts; it doesn't really need the glow plug at all when it's 70 or or warmer.

Plug is getting 12V, gets hot instantly, though I don't have any specs on how hot is hot enough. Diesel spits through a tiny cold start injector in the middle of the glow plug, all this being in the intake throat, not in the cylinders like some diesels. Put it all together and it works, though I'm not sure any better.

Gang's all here for Christmas, took the F12 to get a tree today. Perfect for it, especially noting that the F12 matches the porta-potty at the tree place.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #79 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

It may seem hard to believe, but it's tough to come up with good uses for a 50-mph diesel van with no windows in it that rides like a hobbyhorse, in the real world. So I took it on the One Lap of Marin Saturday, an annual ARA spring drive. A couple hundred cars, probably 75% of them Alfas, but only one F12!

Trip is 130-160 miles depending on how much you get lost and how early you quit. We did about 130 miles, saw 90 kph max, lots slower on the turns and hills. My cuz, riding navigator and an experienced track driver, felt we were going to spin in every corner. But we didn't. No issues, ran like a top, got 35 mpg, stopped to help a dead SS, and got a friend's GTV fired up when the starter wire was flakey.

Best part was going over Wilson Hill Rd in Marin, was holding up a 458 Ferrari and a Corvette, but there was no pull-off til the summit. So they had to live with it. Still, the Ferrari waved; we're all Alfisti and Tifosi on One Lap day.

See pics to prove it participated, and how fuzzy you get after a couple hundred kilometers at 4000 diesel rpm. Great day.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #80 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Great update! Nothing mentioned about the aroma of diesel fuel permeating the clothing of driver, co-driver and following vehicles? A Ferrari that reeks of diesel....

vince
post #81 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Hell with them; the F12 runs pretty darn clean. Hard uphill acceleration, yes some black smoke. Otherwise, not much.
Andrew
post #82 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

See ad, it's for sale. Sooner than I'd expected, but I'm into two big projects and a third on the way. Something's got to go.
Andrew
post #83 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:10 AM

Romeo F12 & A12

Hi...

Alfazioso covers the Giulia SS, 1900 Matta, 2000 102 series Berlina, Giulietta Promiscua, 2600 OSI, 2600 SZ, Giulia GTC, F12 high roof minibus, Montreal, Alfa 6, 75 Turbo Evoluzione & SZ (ES30)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode