F12 trip Chicago to Berkeley - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM

Andrew, congrats, I've been following this thread with interest! Found this on Ebay.it that might interest you.

ALFA ROMEO F12 DIESEL FURGONE MANUALE USO E MANUTENZIONE NUOVO | eBay

Cheers,
Nick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Thank you. The car came with a usable one, so at the price, I'll hold off.
Andrew
post #63 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

If you care, the F12 was posted to BaT when for sale (which I only saw later), and I did a followup thread on the drive. For once, comments are not nasty!
Andrew

BaT Reader Mail: Long-Haul Alfa Romeo F12

post #64 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

One DMV office was willing to register as a personal van but I didn't have the right papers, went back but the next said no, commercial van (no seats, no windows). So I went out and got a weight certificate today, required for commercial plates. Went to J&O Truck Tires in West Oakland, sat looking like a toy on the 80' scale among the big rigs, I wish I'd thought to take my camera. 3140 lbs with oil, water, and half tank diesel. Motored home, back for the third try at the DMV later this week.
I calculated the new tires give 3% longer gearing by the nominal sizes. That translates from 50 MPH when reading 90 KPH to 51.5 MPH. Woohoo!
Andrew
post #65 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to acurtiss Send a message via Skype™ to acurtiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I calculated the new tires give 3% longer gearing by the nominal sizes. That translates from 50 MPH when reading 90 KPH to 51.5 MPH. Woohoo!
Andrew
More importantly, when the needle hits 180 you'll know you're doing 103mph.

1962 Giulia Sprint 1600, 1967 Giulia Super
post #66 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Had to tussle with the turn signals a bit; went from no turn signals at all in IL to turn signals all the time last week! Took everything back out, removed the multi-function stalk from the steering column, cleaned all the contact point and reassembled with a new flasher unit, and now all's good.

Pulled the valve cover off today to do a valve adjust, or at least check. HTF to you find TDC on a diesel? There's a sight hole in the bellhousing, but I haven't found anything yet to tell me what the TDC mark looks like, and I haven't found it on the ring gear.

This is one high-quality engine. Those valve springs are new, have like 5000 miles on them since rebuilt. Everything is very nicely done and sturdy. When's the last time you saw an Alfa with the cam in the block? I was going to say "with pushrods" but the V6s have short exhaust pushrods.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #67 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Third times appears to be the charm, three different clerks in three different DMV offices (Novato, El Cerrito, Oakland Coliseum). Not being devious, that's just where I could get the soonest appointments. Got the dang thing registered today, commercial plates, not my first choice, but what the heck. Seems only fitting for a diesel, right?

Finished up valve adjust and oil change yesterday, the oil that came out was the jettest black I've ever seen. Diesels must put a lot of carbon/particulates into their oil. And Vince changed the oil before we left, so it has like 2400 miles on it. Changed filter too, all's well.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #68 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 AM

Not sure what's bad about commercial plates - as far as I know, that means you can park in yellow loading zones with impunity!

Chris Keen / Rusty But Trusty - http://rustybuttrusty.com
77 spider veloce - since '91/'79 sprint veloce - since '05/'72 2002tii -since '12
post #69 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Well, annual upkeep costs are about double what regular plates cost (all weight-based, not tax-deductible), and you have to pay to get the weight certificate. In some cities, like Berkeley, you have to have a city business license sticker to park in yellow zones. So there's no real advantage and various disadvantages, unless you're truly using it in business.
Andrew
post #70 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I can't find a link to it, but I've seen a Peroni beer ad twice in the last month in theaters that features a Fiat 500, Duetto, and Romeo 2/F12. Amazing, excellent choices.
Andrew
post #71 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Get one of your very own! Earlier body with better nose and graphics, and some windows. Like mine a Perkins, not a Giulia engine. Someone bring it in!
Andrew

auto usata, ALFA ROMEO Altro a Morano Calabro (Cosenza)
post #72 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

OK, after crap brake performance going to the Alameda show last weekend, ordered a rebuilt caliper for a 2002 tii, which showed up today and is dang close but not perfect. So off goes my LF caliper to Karp's in LA for rebuilding.

As long as I'm into the LF suspension, planned to tackle the outer u-joint, which has one rotating cup, not a good thing. One thing leads to another, pulling the axle shaft is not a simple matter, so the whole upright comes off. Unbolted the balljoints from the lower A-arm and the upper "A-arm" (in this case known as a transverse leaf spring). It all came apart without taking off any chunks out of me, the F12, or the garage. The good thing about this setup is that in full-droop, the spring is stopped from extending further by a chassis piece, so you don't have to compress it and can just unbolt it all.

That said, it's big heavy pieces. The axle probably weighs 20 lbs, I'd estimate the upright and disk at 40, plus a 15 lb caliper. It's heavy duty, no question. Notice the outer u-joint is a double joint, the pivot center in line with the steering pivot so the axle and steering when turning don't bind and fight each other. On the inner end, the u-joint is on the stub axle sticking out of the trans, which is a little weird. But it all came out OK and now off to Driveline Service of San Leandro. Bet they've never worked on an F12 before.

While in there, I pulled and cleaned the shocks. The felt really airy, and guess what? They were upside down. Makes sense to me that the rubber gaiters would be on the top, but after I cleaned the crud off, "Spica" and "Alto" were visible, so the gaiter goes at the bottom. This might improve the ride a bit, having working shocks. Maybe it won't porpoise quite as much. Now to look at the rears too.

The LF caliper was not fully bolted on, not a good thing. I wonder if it was "ratcheting" under braking and grabbing/binding? The outer pad is really scrubbed looking. Quality Italian work through and through.

Got a set of custom brake hoses made, same fitting and ends as 105 hoses, but 4" longer.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #73 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Driveline guys, like me, chickened out. The u-joint cross is 27mm x 88mm or so, much bigger than 115 joints. Non standard size as far as an American is concerned, and it further has shafts and springs running through it, plus a centering coupling between the two joints. Driveline guy didn't have anything even close, had never seen a joint like it, and said it would probably be fine, grease it up good, put a little loctite out the outer surface of the cup and put it back together. His only option was, if the joint was really shot and useless, to cut it off and weld in a similar sized Spicer double jointed unit, for big dollars. We're not there yet.

So I put it all back together today with the new brakes hoses, new blue gravity feed hoses from the reservoir to the MCs, and cleaned up all the suspension and brake hardware, and put the shocks on rightside up. Checked rear shocks, they're the right way, and in fact have blue paint on them, so have been on the truck since it was painted. Brake flex hoses were dated 12/78, so were original.

Andrew
post #74 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Late to the party but really enjoyed the read. Very cool van!
post #75 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I can't find a link to it, but I've seen a Peroni beer ad twice in the last month in theaters that features a Fiat 500, Duetto, and Romeo 2/F12. Amazing, excellent choices.
Andrew
This may be the ad:

Brad
'69 Series 1 GTV (105.51)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode