F12 trip Chicago to Berkeley - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 03:55 PM

Gauges and binnacle look like Alfasud ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Ah, never seen one of those. Left round dial is speedo to 140 KPH, right round dial has lights for temp, oil pressure, gen, and gas gauge at the bottom. A couple lights in between for lights, high beam, and hand throttle.

No plan as such, and there hasn't been one other than to get it home. I do not plan to even think about the body, other than washing it and seeing what I can do to keep the weather out. I do plan to work on it, adjust and fixing what needs it: LF brake caliper, clutch hydraulics have some issue, steering is a bit loose, see if I'm getting full throttle out of the pump, adjust the valves, and so on. I want to get it driving as well as it can. I had a set of tall 16" Pirellis that I gave to someone a couple years ago; if he still has them and hasn't sold them I may ask for them back. The tires on this are fine, but they're too wide (215) and too short (65 series). I know Vince had to get what he could in CA on short notice before driving back to IL in 2009, so that's not a criticism. Narrower would fit the rims better, these are too angled, and taller would improve the gearing a bit more. And make it look even awesomer. Vince included two original Ceats as spares in the back, and it has a modified-wheel space saver spare from a PO before Vince, which would hilarious, and not in a good way, to mount and try to drive on. The lug holes appear to be hand-filed to fit the Alfa five-lug pattern.

Andrew
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Back to the speed, we calculated that roughly with the 5.20 diff, 1.03 top gear, and shorter tires, we were turning 3700-3800 rpm at this speed. Nowhere in the info could I find a redline for the Perkins engine, but its HP rating from Alfa is 49.7 cv at that speed, and the marine info I've seen is similar. To me, that's dang fast for a small diesel to be spinning 12 hours at a time. Diesel can't rev very high with the need to compress the air so much.

Anyone have tech info from Alfa on the engine? The only tech stuff I've been able to find other than the minimal info in the Alfa owner's manual is in marine applications, which might or might not be the same. It's a Perkins 4.108. bore 79.4, stroke 88.9, 1760cc total. That's a long stroke to be flailing away all day.

Original tires were 4.00E x 16, presumably 80 series or perhaps even 85. These 215 tires are crying for at least a 6" wheel, maybe 6.5".

Andrew

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Great to see that Andrew and the van made it with few issues. I think the new air filter helped the gas mileage, LOL. I too felt the van was best at 90kph, but would wonder how the shocks are due to their age; would new ones firm up the handling? But it wasn't terrible.

Regarding the tires, when I picked up the van at Emilio's, two of the tires were terrible. To his credit, he did tell me I'd probably want to replace the tires before the trip. One was riding on broken and frayed steel belts, the other had some serious dry rot in the sidewall (pictured, though you may want to copy and enlarge it to see them better). I drove the van about a mile to Dal Pozzo's tire shop, where we found the tires in stock that would be useable, though far from perfect. I was afraid to try driving much farther on the two really bad tires. The two Ceats I gave to Andrew were the two best tires....

vince
Attached Images

post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure there's even anything else that'll work, a narrow tall 16 is not exactly in demand nowadays. Like I say, if I can get the Pirellis I gave away, they might do the trick. However, they might be too old to make sense.

These unquestionably worked fine, and we drove in some serious rain, so were happy to know we had good tread. And now they have Bonneville salt on them.

Andrew
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM

Well done Andrew, another epic journey home !!

Now that you are rested, relaxed and looking for your next big adventure, I found this for you in Italy, you can carry lots of spares home in it........... a Renault Estafette, much like Margaret's Westfalia

Just kidding -first order with the F12 will be to try & get it weather proof & stored under some kind of roof, even a car port would help.

Ciao
Greig
Attached Images

post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM

I never got a chance to drive the van on twisty, curvy roads, but did enjoy some highway on/off ramps. The van seems to have a bit of a sporting feel to it's suspension, and I thought maybe the tires on it helped in that aspect. Putting similar but larger tires on that Dodge D200 Camper Special I have would definitely not make it handle more "sporting".

vince
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Anyone have tech info from Alfa on the engine? The only tech stuff I've been able to find other than the minimal info in the Alfa owner's manual is in marine applications, which might or might not be the same. It's a Perkins 4.108. bore 79.4, stroke 88.9, 1760cc total. That's a long stroke to be flailing away all day.
Almost the same stroke as a 1779cc and 1962cc Nord engine (at 88.5mm) ... interesting.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
According to this site, the same engine was also used in the 1976 Giulia Berlina "Nuova Super Diesel" (see Fusi below). D'Amico & Tabucchi describe this car as Tipo 115.40 with engine type 108U and show on p.635 a cut-away drawing of the Perkins engine with, as they call it, "interesting camshaft gear train."

Looking at the engine data (max torque @ 2,200 RPM, max 55 HP @ 4,000 RPM), it's pretty clear it's a slow revving engine. So, first of all, piston speed (and therefore length of stroke) and associated friction is not a technical limitation as it is in high-revving engines. Long stroke is favorable for slow-burning fuels and for giving fuel droplets time to disperse/vaporize before combustion.
Attached Images

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now being restored in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).

Last edited by tubut; 08-07-2013 at 12:58 AM.
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

The Perkins is all-gear driven, no chains or belts. Even the injection pump is gear driven, unlike Spica. The Alfa owner's manual shows you, among other things, the wealth of timing marks on the four gears to align. I can't imagine you'd be doing that in your driveway, but still.

It's also a pushrod engine. I don't think at 3800 you're in danger of throwing a rod or having valve float in such an engine. It has the torque to pull a fifth gear on the flat, so a .79 fifth would be nice. But these were not meant to be freeway cruisers, so it wasn't really a consideration at the time.

Yes, this is a relatively high rpm engine for a small diesel. I'm perfectly happy having "limited" it to 3700-3800 rpm. That's screamin' by my diesel standards. I drove Bill Gillham's big turbodiesel Ram a few years ago, towing a Giulietta Berlina to my house from his in-laws', and it tended to run about 1200 rpm on the freeway.

Drove my Super this morning, and was that nice. Still, all in the family.

Andrew
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Here's a Sud transaxle I pulled off the BB. I don't have an image of the F12 unit, but the shifter location certainly isn't the same. I wonder if there's any commonality? F12 part numbers are 140.xx, what are Sud?

The blowups in the manual show some 101 and 105 part numbers in the rings, dogs, synchros, and related trans parts, so it's clearly an Alfa unit, not bought in from Citroen, Renault, or whoever.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Dang, I want that 4.10 diff and .79 fifth gear that the Giulia Diesel has. Oh wait, wrong drivetrain.
Andrew
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Here's a Sud transaxle I pulled off the BB. I don't have an image of the F12 unit, but the shifter location certainly isn't the same. I wonder if there's any commonality? F12 part numbers are 140.xx, what are Sud?

The blowups in the manual show some 101 and 105 part numbers in the rings, dogs, synchros, and related trans parts, so it's clearly an Alfa unit, not bought in from Citroen, Renault, or whoever.

Andrew
A diesel engine would melt a Sud gearbox ... they are pathetic rattly weak things IMO.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Dang, I want that 4.10 diff and .79 fifth gear that the Giulia Diesel has. Oh wait, wrong drivetrain.
Andrew
that's the Giulia I'd like (actually, the turbo-diesel edition). Wikipedia indicates the transaxle Alfa Romeo Romeo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is of ZF design, traces back to the AR vans of the 50's. Goodrich makes an LT 215x85x16, looks like you can get them for about $130 each.

current:
83 Spider Veloce
ex:

solve problems, learn something new!
post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, the height is desirable, but that's still too wide. It should be an LT tire like this. Pulled a Ceat 6.00 x 16 out of the back and it's approx 2" taller than the current BFG tires.

Found the second parts manual has the diesel supp in the back, which I didn't realize. Good readin'. The connecting rods look like they came out of a drag car in terms of heft, pistons have 8, count 'em, 8 rings each; dang. Three main bearings, two exhaust ports in the head, and one combined intake port along the other side. Has one glow plug in the intake duct below the air filter, not one for each cylinder. It only needed the glow plug to start in morning cold. In any other weather, whether engine was warm or not, fired off with no glow plug.

Got a NOS air filter from Greece on ebay, which arrived the day after I left. Vince had a NAPA filter that was a decent fit, so we were good on the trip. Popped in the NOS filter just now and guess what, it fits like it was designed to!

Checked travel on the "throttle" linkage and there are some degrees of lost motion, mostly in slack on the cable and rods. So I think there's more rotation to be had of the pump fuel control, perhaps a bit more pep. Combine that with bigger tires and we'll be hittin' triple digits (in KPH).

Local CarQuest showed a rebuilt 560SL caliper (four pistons, three bleed ports) in the warehouse for $125. Coming in tomorrow and if it's right I'll install it. WooHoo. CarQuest is by far the best auto parts chain I've dealt with.

Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode