Replaced the lower wishbones, now I have a problem... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Replaced the lower wishbones, now I have a problem...

Kia Ora guys,

I recently bought a '98 156 V6, and when it went for the WOF check (that's like a MOT for you UK types) it was pinged because the lower ball joints were just a bit shagged. Turns out the rear rubber bushes were flogged as well. Purchased replacement lower wishbones, and struggled valiantly to remove the old ones and put the new ones in. After watching a Youtube video on how to do it, it showed the main hub nut being removed so the strut could be moved up and out of the way. But there was now way that nut was gonna budge. However, just as I was on the verge of giving up and reassembling what I'd already done so I could capitulated and take it to the mechanic, I figured out that by removing the tie rod end I could achieve the same thing. So the first side went alright, and is all happy now.

The left side, well that's where I struck a problem that hopefully someone might have a solution for...

In the struggle to get the wishbone located properly, I inserted one of the bolts into the rear cast mounting to try and hold things in place while I got the other bolts aligned. Somewhere in the proceedings something must have shifted, and now not only will that one particular bolt not go in, the lower few mm of the threaded hole has no thread in it. Given the importance of what these bolts do, I'm reluctant to simply get a slightly smaller but longer bolt and nut.

Anyone out there got any ideas/solutions? Given how much of a fight these wishbones put up when removing and installing, I'm hesitant to take it out again if it can be prevented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 PM

Hi Mike

It's probably worth your while to post this on the Australian forum as well. Lots of guys there have 156's and I've seen many of them talk about these sorts of issues.

Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia Forum - Index

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Maybe this old spare parts catalogue can help
FIAT ePER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode