I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:09 AM

Just to finalise my earlier post on lowered springs.

I have refitted second hand stock springs to the front, which cures all the the harshness and bottoming.

Examination of the springs that were taken out makes me think that they are original springs that were lowered by resetting - in other words a cheap and nasty modification by the new car dealer back in 2001/2.

Car is great & I endorse the original point of this thread - why aren't all cars like this?

Berlina (1972), Guiletta (1982, transaxle, driven by my son), Polski-Fiat 126, Suzuki Swift GTi, Locost motorkhana special,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

What do you mean by "they were lowered by resetting"?

Current Alfas
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
!989 75 3 litre (black). Shared project with my son.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.

Past Alfas
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #63 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Experienced my first real wheelspin over the weekend when I got annoyed with "other cars" and became worried about my 156 being hit ... so I nailed it to get out of the way and to relieve my frustration . No torque steer and didn't veer off line at all ... note the road was wet.

I also drove her up to Hamilton and it was wet and experienced more wheelspin coming out of an intersection when I wanted to get a move on to get up to the traffic flow speed ... again no torque steer, very easy to control and good grip levels.

Reminded me of my old race Sud but without the uncontrolled wheelspin caused by a hot motor with a nasty torque curve as she came on cam. Both chassis' are good examples of fwd technology.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
PSk

BTW has anybody solved the lack of cup holder issue?

My wife is a coffee drinker and I have kids ...

We have discovered that a McDonalds cardboard cup holder fits nicely in the arm rest "hole" when the rear seat arm rest is down.

If I had my welding gear all set up I'd be making something, but that could be years away ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #65 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
BTW has anybody solved the lack of cup holder issue?

My wife is a coffee drinker and I have kids ...

We have discovered that a McDonalds cardboard cup holder fits nicely in the arm rest "hole" when the rear seat arm rest is down.

If I had my welding gear all set up I'd be making something, but that could be years away ...
Pete
What do you mean? It has a cup holder!
Attached Images

post #66 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 05:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

I've never really understood the obsession with having cup holders in cars. I'm not really comfortable with the idea of potential spillage with flimsy cardboard cups of sticky liquid, even when they have lids on them. I do take a bottle of water on long journeys in warm weather but they don't fit cup holders and I usually have a passenger to hand it to me or I stop and drink from it.

Current Alfas

Past Alfas
post #67 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 05:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
In my Giulietta 940 there are lots (4) cup holders and place for 4 bottles in the A/C'ed glove compartment.
I don't drink coffee when driving, on long journeys I some times drink a little water. My wife hands me a bottle from the glove compartment.
When driving my 156 we usually had a Thermos with coffee. We always take pauses every two hours, so really no need for cup holders.
oz3litre likes this.

Last edited by Erik; 06-28-2016 at 05:23 AM.
post #68 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Interesting .

While I understand the spillage concern (and yes I've already experienced that in the 156, but easily cleaned up) cup holders are really handy to turn a car into a family trip maker.

All the cars we owned in Australia had them and I guess my family is used to them, as am I. And yes I usually carry a water bottle and have found that it can fit between my seat and the door, but it is not the most elegant solution.

I do try and suggest that we take a break and eat in (I admit that when I'm on a long drive I like to get on with it though), but I'm not a coffee drinker and it blows my mind how long it takes to make a coffee so everybody else is usually done and ready to go again while the coffee is ever so carefully being massaged by historical rituals into whatever special brew that my wife loves

I reckon you could make something to connect to the front seat mounts and for a RHD car be neatly for your right hand below that front corner of the seat ... perfect for a water bottle to keep you fresh on those 3 hour drives. At least with this design it would not damage the car as that is not happening!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #69 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
PSk

She just passed her first warrant of fitness in my ownership

A couple of interesting things:
1. Around a month ago our Honda Odyssey also passed it's WOF but it failed at first due to brake lights with only the high stop light working. Now the 156v6 was the opposite with the high stop light not working. Amusing

2. This lead to the next discovery. For some strange reason somebody had cut the wires to the high stop light. Now why is it that every Alfa Romeo I have owned has had wires cut by previous owners??? I joined them back together properly and the high stop light now works ... weird.

When I can find my soldering iron I will properly solder them back together, but for now I've used crimp connectors.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #70 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 03:06 AM

Very rarely the stop lights gets checked.
I'm lucky every time I reverse my Alfa out of it's parking lot I can see a reflection in a neighbour's window of it's rear end and all lights. So I always know all lights are working or not.
post #71 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Now why is it that every Alfa Romeo I have owned has had wires cut by previous owners??? I joined them back together properly and the high stop light now works ... weird.
Pete
Having owned 13 Alfas so far, I think this sort of thing is the source of the belief by J. Clarkson and his followers that Alfa electrics are dodgy. I have owned and worked on a considerable number of other cars over the years and in my experience Alfas are no worse than most and actually better than some. Older Alfas have often been buggered with by incompetent people and once you get them sorted, they are fine.
PSk likes this.

Current Alfas

Past Alfas
post #72 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
PSk

So she continues to rack up the miles as every weekend I'm doing the Tauranga to Auckland and back trip. In fact last weekend we did Tauranga to Auckland, Auckland to Hamilton, Hamilton to Auckland and finally Auckland to Tauranga and she never misses a beat.

Last night I gave her a thorough clean, including a vacuum. Trying hard to keep this her in good condition. She needs another polish even though she has modern paint and supposedly this is not required but it makes the paint feel so much nicer. Hopefully I can do this this week after work some day.

I do feel guilty as the 1750 sits there (im)patiently waiting and undoubtedly jealous ...

The good news is that my son appears to be responding better to his latest medication and is now considerably calmer and rational. A long way to go still and I do not want to get ahead of myself, but positive thinking is important
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #73 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Unhappy

Wish I'd never said anything about my son, he's now sliding down hill again ... sigh

Don't know where we are heading ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #74 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
Having owned 13 Alfas so far, I think this sort of thing is the source of the belief by J. Clarkson and his followers that Alfa electrics are dodgy. I have owned and worked on a considerable number of other cars over the years and in my experience Alfas are no worse than most and actually better than some. Older Alfas have often been buggered with by incompetent people and once you get them sorted, they are fine.
So true - goes for all cars 20+ years old.
When I sold my spider 1970 last year all electrics worked. In the 11 years I had it only bulbs changed.
post #75 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

I find it strange how Top Gear magazine and the show love Alfas on the one hand and perpetuate the myths on the other. The latest issue of the magazine is a case in point. It has very positive articles about the Giulia and how important it is and at the same time starts off with an editorial that contains absolute BS about Alfas of the last 30 years. The editor talks about how he has never got round to owning an Alfa himself and that maybe he isn't a true petrol head as a result. He talks about how he almost bought a 155, but it was a bit rough and he didn't go ahead with the purchase. Later he became very keen on buying a FWD GTV6, but - and this is the kicker - motoring journalist colleagues talked him out of it because they said that Busso engines had a habit of blowing up if you put your boot into it when overtaking. I don't know about you guys, but in all my years of owning seven Busso engined cars, reading thousands of posts on forums such as this, knowing lots of Busso owners, including many who have raced their cars very hard for years, I have never heard of that happening. Where do these idiots get this crap from? Maybe they are the sort of drivers we have all come across, or have heard about, who are able to break the unbreakable, or maybe they are just BS artists who make stuff up like conspiracy theorists. The trouble is they have a powerful forum for putting out their twisted ideas and influence people as a result. I understand the show is entertainment first and foremost, but surely the magazine should be factual as much as possible. Personally I don't think they should be telling lies in either.
sportiva likes this.

Current Alfas

Past Alfas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode