I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 149 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
BTW: I'm getting 650 km's per tank

On my last tank this worked out as 8.6 l/100 or 32.8 mpg. Pretty good IMO.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 149 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post

Pete
Pretty good, 8,6l/100 km is about what I got on my 156 2,0 TS. Did you have an egg under your right food?

I hope your son have good progress!
GioGTVTS likes this.
post #33 of 149 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:

Pete
Yes the V6s are pretty good. I can get close to that out of my 3.2 GT on the open road and 12-14 litres /100 km, (21 -26 mpg), around town, depending on how I drive it.

As you said in an earlier post, there is nothing wrong with the handling of FWD Alfas. They can more than hold their own against all sorts of cars and beat most. A member of our national modern Alfa GT register drove his 3.2 in the TSD class of the Targa Tasmania last week and came second by 0.5 seconds behind a modified Tickford Ford Falcon V8 ute. There were 34 cars in the class, including several BMW M series, Porsche 911s, Caymans, Subaru STI, F series V8 Jag, Holden Monaro, Toyota 86 to name a few. His car has done 190,000km and is fitted with coilovers, strut brace, Q2 Torsen diff and cat back exhaust like mine. The engine is stock apart from a remap which only makes a slight difference if any. It didn't miss a beat driving hard for six days and on the last day outclassed a lot of others in wet conditions.

All the best wishes for your son's treatment Pete.

Current Alfas
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
!989 75 3 litre (black). Shared project with my son.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.

Past Alfas
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).

post #34 of 149 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
PSk

BTW my son is permitted home stays now so is making progress, which is three steps forward and two back.

The hardest thing is he appears so confused by what his brain is doing and asks some very soul searching questions. We do believe that with the right drugs, time and counselling he will reach a level of ability and hopefully acceptance of who he (now) is.

He enjoys drives in the 156v6. Relaxes him a great deal .
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #35 of 149 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Okay one reason might be because Repco cannot supply even something as simple as a thermostat. Two attempts now and both very wrong, although the second may suit some Alfa Romeo but neither of mine.
Contact Vlad at Arese Spares in New South Wales, (02) 8011 4445 or 0405 434 663 and he'll hook you up with whatever you need.

i cavalli mai abbastanza, ed il peso sempre troppo...
post #36 of 149 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Just done another trip to the hospital in Auckland and back. My son and I ended up convoying with a silver 159 (diesel I think) for over half the trip. Was great fun, especially as after I blew past him after passing 4 or so cars in a single pass (the v6 was humming ... and yes I used a bit more fuel in that trip) he decided that was unacceptable and passed me back a few miles later and kept up a good pace all the way to the Auckland motorway. Thank you and nice car you have Sir ... a BB member?

Anyway an interesting thing has happened to my family. First my eldest son (step son) asked me why I didn't buy one before in Sydney. He is not a car guy at all but mentioned that he quite likes the 156. Also when ever we go out my wife requests that we use the 156 ... interesting.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 04-24-2016 at 01:24 AM.
post #37 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:50 AM

Glad you are enjoying it Pete. I recently bought a year 2000 156 V6 to replace my trusty 1998 TS that got written off by a %$#! VW. Really enjoying the V6, should have bought one years ago. So much car for not much money. Thought the TS was smooth but the V6 is even better, much quicker and makes such a wonderful noise. In theory it's for my kids to use, but they have to fight me for it.. 159 has barely moved since the 156 arrived. I'm sure that it is considered good parenting to buy your kids a fine Italian car with a 140kW V6 and red leather bordello interior...?
First driving lesson in it my younger son did discover the effects of too much right foot and a rough clutch action

Something to look forward to when your son is old enough!

Mark.

1973 2000 GT Veloce, 2000 156 V6 6spd manual (latest addition)
2006 147 1.9JTDm 6spd manual, 2007 159 Sportwagon 2.4JTDm 6spd Auto
post #38 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

Nice to hear your V6 stories guys. Despite what some of the motoring writers are suggesting, the 156/147/GT family of Alfas are better cars than their peers in my opinion. They are all great fun to drive. A Busso V6 elevates them to the top of the list. No other car manufacturer has made an engine better than that. My all time favourite piston engines are the RR Merlins and Griffons, followed by the Busso V6. They all have that special sound that stirs the blood. It is a result of a unique combination of design and engineering that cannot be replicated. You can hear all of those engines coming and identify them by their sound, regardless of exhaust systems.

Current Alfas

Past Alfas
post #39 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"My all time favourite piston engines are the RR Merlins and Griffons"

My father was a trained mechanic on the Allison V-12 versions of those engines. More reliable and simpler in design, so he thought, having worked on both. Better for hopping up. As team manager, he used to build up hotrod versions of them for the Unlimited hydroplanes being raced in the States back when they used piston engines, not turbines as they do now. Won two national championships in the 50's with his engines.

Some other teams used the Rolls, as they were more available as used war materiel than the Allisons. The US government would try to destroy any US built engines that were found in war surplus depots. I guess they were still worried about the 'enemy' getting war machines, lol. Stupid waste.

Really loved the sound, esp when they were in a fighter flying overhead. The P&W radials didn't sound nice at all.

These engines were basically scaled up Ferrari engines, so to speak, being 60 deg V-12s, single overhead cams. Some outfits ran them with collector exhaust manifolds which were not tuned like race cars, but others ran them with short stacks, just very short single cut off exhaust manifolds, also not tuned (did give them more room around the engine to access some engine parts). Those short stacks were very loud and not nearly as nice sounding.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-17-2016 at 10:11 PM.
post #40 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

Even my wife, who is not into machinery like me, was moved by the sound of the Spitfire we saw at Shuttleworth back in 2005. Last night there was a documentary on TV, made last year, about the RAF Red Arrows and Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in which they were preparing for a big airshow. They did a show with a Spitfire and a Euro fighter matching stunts, a BBMF flypast and finished with 18 Spitfires and Hurricanes in the air. It was wonderful to watch. I have stunning air to air photos of all those planes taken by a New Zealand guy, Classic Aircraft Photography, as my screensaver.

Current Alfas

Past Alfas
post #41 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Just changed the oil filter and oil ... getting the filter out is a pain but I'm used to it now

My under engine cover has broken it's centre support (wire), and the other 2 rear supports had already been broken, so it was hanging down like a wet nappy ... so I'll need to fix this somehow. I'm going to repair the 2 rear supports with sheet metal straps riveted over a wide distance to the plastic cover, and welding wire will have to replace the centre support.

I do not have a proper workshop/bench or welding gas at the moment so this will have to do ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #42 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 01:41 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Just changed the oil filter and oil ... getting the filter out is a pain but I'm used to it now

My under engine cover has broken it's centre support (wire), and the other 2 rear supports had already been broken, so it was hanging down like a wet nappy ... so I'll need to fix this somehow. I'm going to repair the 2 rear supports with sheet metal straps riveted over a wide distance to the plastic cover, and welding wire will have to replace the centre support.

I do not have a proper workshop/bench or welding gas at the moment so this will have to do ...
Pete
My GT didn't have one when I bought it, so I got one of the aluminium ones from Alfastumper in Denmark. It was half the price of an Alfa plastic one, is much stronger and gives more ground clearance. It actually protects the sump too. I should make the effort to change the oil on the GT and 159 myself I guess but having to lie on my back and battle with the undertrays puts me off, so I get my mechanic to do it. I wish I had the money and ceiling height to put a hoist in the garage.

Current Alfas

Past Alfas
post #43 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
My GT didn't have one when I bought it, so I got one of the aluminium ones from Alfastumper in Denmark. It was half the price of an Alfa plastic one, is much stronger and gives more ground clearance. It actually protects the sump too. I should make the effort to change the oil on the GT and 159 myself I guess but having to lie on my back and battle with the undertrays puts me off, so I get my mechanic to do it. I wish I had the money and ceiling height to put a hoist in the garage.
Spending money on Alfas is not the priority at the moment so fixing the plastic one will be the go.

Thanks for reminding me that they are called "undertrays" ... brain was blank on that one

Changing the filter is a bit of a pain and I imaging most shops would charge a lot of money to do so. In fact I reckon non-Alfa shops would get in a mess trying. I had to look up on the internet to work out how to get the filter out and learnt that you have to undo the power steering hose bracket. Today I undid both hose brackets to make it easier ... not great design here.

One day I will go to a wrecker and try to get a replacement undertray, an ashtray and an engine wiring loom plug.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 06-18-2016 at 01:54 AM.
post #44 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
you have to undo the power steering hose bracket. Today I undid both hose brackets to make it easier ... not great design here.
Pete
I don't think my mechanic does that, but I will watch him next time. Even the good old 75 V6 is tricky, but you can do it from above. The biggest problem is getting a tool that allows enough movement. My brother made me one that fits over the end of the filter with a nut welded onto it, but it doesn't grip tight enough if the filter is tight. K&N make filters to fit the Alfa V6, TS etc that have a nut on the end so I think I will get one of those next time.

Current Alfas

Past Alfas
post #45 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
The alu undertrays are a good investment. When I got my then 3 year old 156 2,0 TS it had a one year old plastic tray which was already broken several places (previous owner had lower the car about 40 mm).
I bought a tray from Alfastumper.dk and it hold up to selling the TS 9 years later.
The alu tray protect against water and other dirt from the road. But not the sump against big stones - drove over a stray cobble the day after the having the tray fitted. Sump broke tray just bent a little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode