Alpha spider hood problems - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Alpha spider hood problems

Hi
I have a 1999 Alpha spider. I am having trouble with my hood. When I got o put it down the actual hood (material) moves normal but at the stage when the red body flap should lift up for the hood to go into nothing happens. I can hear a motor noise for several seconds but the flap does not lift up.

I have tried using the buttons at the side of the driver seat but nothing happens.

Has anyone had a similar problem and how was is rectified?

Does anyone have any simple suggestions other than taking it to the guarage?

Is it fixable at home of is it something serious?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to miss the nice weather.

Thanks

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 AM
ath

Hi Andy,

I am experiencing the same problem currently. Have you found any solution or did you have to replace the whole motor? Mine is at the mechanics right now and I still hope that it can be resolved somehow.
My car was parked for a year while I was overseas and never had this problem before.

Cheers,

ath
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNottingham View Post
Hi
I have a 1999 Alpha spider. I am having trouble with my hood. When I got o put it down the actual hood (material) moves normal but at the stage when the red body flap should lift up for the hood to go into nothing happens. I can hear a motor noise for several seconds but the flap does not lift up.

I have tried using the buttons at the side of the driver seat but nothing happens.

Has anyone had a similar problem and how was is rectified?

Does anyone have any simple suggestions other than taking it to the guarage?

Is it fixable at home of is it something serious?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to miss the nice weather.

Thanks

Andy
Don't know too much about Alpha's and a little about Alfa's. I'm not sure someone here has see one of those. We never got Alpha's in the states.

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 02:59 PM

Post solid lid stuck

if you have not used you roof not much, then the roof will stick. you need to tilt you seat forward and open the mid storage compartment and look in. left side is battery/ cover. follow across to the right on the rear, you will find a black cover. remove. or just remove battery cover followed by full lining.. you will find a 10mm nut on a twin cable arm. get a 10mm socket and hammer. place socket on nut and lightly tap. the motor spindle will shift inward, releasing and twisting. now operate the roof all the way. and it will reset.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Possible Solution

If I understand your problem correctly, it is the hood cover clamps that are not releasing. I had the same problem on mine. If alfatec1967's solution does not work (which it didn't on mine) it may be the connections within the motor that releases the clamps. This is the motor that is attached to the spindle that alfatec1967 refers to.

I dismantled the motor and cleaned the brushes and the copper contacts on the spindle. This was a fairly simple job, and has cured the problem at least for the last few months.

Phil

1963 Giulia 101 Spider (RHD)
1992 75 2.0 TS LE
2001 916 series Spider TS Lusso
2000 156 2.0 Lusso Sportwagon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:16 AM

alfatec1967 is spot on - haven't used mine 2001 spider for ages. On a really hot day so it stick with the hood up but no cover release. Quick tap on the twin cable plate and sorted. Best to raise and lower regularly just to keep the mech free
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 AM

Hi Alfatec1967
Had exactly the same problem with my Alfa Spider 1999 twin spark . Followed your advise and it worked!!
Thanks for your help., much appreciated
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:34 AM

Hi guys; had the same problem and following the previous advice ,when I undid all the nuts holding the motor and spindles and tried it worked! Thanks for the tips, Clive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode