MaxJax 2 post 6000lb lift...comments - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

MaxJax 2 post 6000lb lift...comments

Thinking about buying one of these units for home use, but I was hoping someone out there has one and can share their experience. I like the idea of the semi-portability and the 48" lift. Most buyer reports have been favorable and some have noted the lift is not always even and some problems with the hydraulic seals. I appreciate any good, bad, or ugly reviews.
Thanks, Jon

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1967 Spider (project)
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:22 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I have had one for a few years and it beats not having one. One of the cylinders was defective and they replaced it after I sent them a picture of my GTV6 tilted an an angle of about 15 degrees. I leave mine in place. I would epoxy the lag nuts into the concrete if I were to be be disturbing the bolts regularly. I have not been able to stop mine from leaking and I have some kitty litter around the bases and a bottle of power steering fluid to frequently top up the tank. I bought a transmission jack from Northern Tool to help with tranny and driveshaft jobs. I also have a collection of 4x4's for jacking up stuff under the car. I put the 4x4 under the part and lower the lift. Just make sure that the car does not lift off any of the jacking points.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:25 AM

Garage
I'd like one of these, but I wouldn't be comfortable installing one without redoing the concrete in my garage. You are totally reliant on it given that the two pillars are not connected to each other in any way.

Garagejournal.com forums have quite a few installation "build" threads and many thoughts about the lift.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
I second the advice to look through the forums at garagejournal. Just don't blame us for the time you waste spend there.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- fuel injector cleaning
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

I've had one for about a year now with no problems or issues at all.

Bought it online from Costco.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
I've had one for about a year now with no problems or issues at all.

Bought it online from Costco.
Some of the issues on the reviews was :
A) having to bleed system whenever reconnected.
B) leaking hoses at connections
C) uneven lifting
These were comments by one buyer who still gave it high review.
So is this just one persons views or have you experienced any of these.
Thanks, Jon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The lifting is a little uneven on mine but I only notice it when one side keeps going for a second after the other hits the stop. I only bled mine when I did the initial install and after I changed out a cylinder.

If you are only using it to lift an ALFA then it will never be loaded above 50% of its stated capacity.

When you position the columns and install the lag bolts, space them sufficiently to be able to open the driver's door with the car in the lifting position.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

MaxJax 6000lb Lift

Ordered through Amazon as one of the suppliers had $100 off and free liftgate unloading. Took less tha a week to arrive. Unloading was easy. I immediately began uncrating. Pretty well planned how they get it all on one pallet. I spent the next couple days digesting the instructions, which at times can be difficult, but a combination of illustrations and text eventually sink in to your mind. The most difficult part is marking the position of the anchors. I ended up using a fender washer the same diameter as the hole in the base plate to insert in the hole and them marked the center of the hole through the smaller opening in the washer. While this helped, the actual drilling through concrete presents another problem. If your floor is metal reinforced that presents a obstacle. Also the drilling tends to follow the line of least resistance, as the bit may start to angle if it hits a rock or metal. I did succeed in getting the holes drilled, but had to enlarge a couple of the base holes slightly with a die grinder to match up with the anchor holes. Since each base plate has 5 anchors I'm not worried and I will only be lifting 1/2 the weight capacity.
Drilling with a hammer drill will test your strength. I thought about renting one, but found I could buy one from HF for less$$. You need to buy the bits, again HF. They do not carry the 7/8" bit so you need to get one at Home Depot...about $20
Checking for square and level will need a second pair of hands. Bleeding the hydraulics takes a couple times and be sure and grease the rollers and track. I had a couple leaks at the pre-taped joints and ended up using liquid thread sealer which stopped the leaks.
After all this I still haven't put a car on it, but I am confident of its performance.
I did use the 800 assistance number just to clarify a couple questions and found them to be very helpful.
Anyone with a reasonable amount of experience should be able to construct this in a couple days or certainly less with help from a friend. Like they say, " the second time is a lot faster".
Hope this helps someone, I will post a photo later.
Cheers, Jon

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1967 Spider (project)
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2old4toys View Post
After all this I still haven't put a car on it, but I am confident of its performance.
I have put my wife's Cayenne up on mine, and it weighs over 5,000 pounds. I did put jackstands under the vehicle after lifting just to be safe.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My problem is I have too much hanging fron the overhead. Also may need to move lighting.
I have no doubt in the ability to support my 2000# Spider
Jon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode