Spider Point - do they want our business? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Spider Point - do they want our business?

Spider point have a wood hand brake grip that appears to be unique to them so I attempted to order one. Their system appeared to be like EB Spares in that they send you an email with a quote. They stated that I could pay by bank transfer or I could call or fax a credit card number - not by email. So I figured that I would call them. When the quote arrived it stated that they would only accept payment by bank transfer. Maybe European banks are set up for this kind of thing but it is a PITA for me. I decided that my need was not so great. It is a strange business model that makes potential customers jump through hoops.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:31 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I would think bank transfers are common practice, outside the US. Our banking fees make it far too expensive to send money that way.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I've done a few purchases from small places internationally and have even purchased cars this way. The problem seems to be that these small vendors don't want to pay for a credit card processing system because they don't do enough volume. Many small banks sit on international cashiers checks for days or weeks. So they want a wire transfer.

In the EU, wire transfers appear to be very common and don't cost much. In the US, banks charge a ridiculous amount of money for them and the system often charges the recipient, too. (I once had a vendor ask me to cover the amount his bank charged him for the wire.) What's worse, the tracing process is really bad so if an account is entered improperly at any step of the way, it may take a week or more to get your money back and there will be MORE charges for the service of returning your money to you. (I can get texts telling me exactly where my Amazon shipment is, but that $30,000 wire transfer from Chase or PNC to Deutschebank? Oh, that will take weeks to trace....) The US banking system is pretty broken, it seems.

Fortunately, I've seen a lot of foreign places picking up PayPal now. You may think of PayPal is a tool for people who don't have money, but if you do have money, it is a pretty good way to transfer funds to people, often for free. It also protects you and keeps all your bank and credit stuff private. Suggest it the next time you need to purchase something and can't agree on how to pay.

Scott

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto,
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 4 BMWs, Highlander Hybrid, Ram 1500
Other-past: 11 BMWs, 2 MGs, 1 Triumph, lots of other stuff that doesn't count.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I ordered some parts from Highwood Alfa in the UK today and they use a third party "retailmerchantservices.co.uk" to handle internet credit card transactions. My guess is that individual retailers have difficulty making credit card transactions secure.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Payments

Paypal is a blessing as it protects the buyer with little complications.
I try and use it exclusively for that reason.
Rj

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

My foreign customers like it as well.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:19 AM

within EU you can transfer money (online too) for almost free using SEPA (Single euro payments area)...but it has to be a EURO-land and you can only transfer euros, as the name infers.
Transfers outside the EU are probably as expensive as you guys in the US have.

There is, imo, no excuse really for any business not to set up paypal, it is secure and so far pretty safe.
(though you do have to watch out for a scam mails that look exactly like the paypal emails! Any suspicious paypal email I get I just forward to spoof (at) paypal (dot) com and let them work it out!)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 05-16-2017 at 02:22 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi All,

I agree that so far PayPal has been a saviour for me, even on other car transactions. Every one should set up an account so when/if I sell some of my bits n pieces all I have to do is send a request for money to the email account of the buyer and when the money hits my account I ship the goods. I have no tie up with PayPal.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode