classic car insurance - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

classic car insurance

Hello all;

Any feedback on classic car insurance companies? I have several cars with Condon and Skelly, but am looking for an alternate vendor. The big gorilla in this space is Hagerty, but the quote is double what American Modern insurance is quoting me. Any feedback, good or bad, on these companies would be sincerely appreciated

mh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
I have not needed to make a claim but I have been happy with Hagerty. They reply to my emails quickly.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- fuel injector cleaning
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
JC Taylor. I haven't made a claim with them yet but they have a good reputation and are a lot cheaper than Hagerty.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 AM

Garage
I have American Modern. My car got clipped while it was being serviced by a kid driving a minivan. Ugh. They were prompt to respond, paid the full cost of repair, including shipping a new bumper from Classic Alfa, and went after the other company. For a reasonable rate, I have 6K miles per year coverage, which is plenty for Connecticut. I have no other affiliation with the company and recommend them.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Glad to hear their claim service was OK. I had bad experiences with American Modern's account management and the included roadside assistance was a joke. Ended up moving to Hagerty at a comparable price.

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project

Last edited by jarrington; 01-17-2017 at 11:01 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM

All of mine are with the Auto Club, same as my house and driver cars.

Have had lots of claims (wife) over the years and AAA can't be beat for their service.

When my daughter had a crash in my '89 Toyota Supra Turbo and totaled it, AAA repaid the $2000 that I had just paid for a head gasket job. Ended up getting more than the car was worth retail !!

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I went with Grundy.

Brian __________________________________

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I live in a high cost market and Hagerty was very reasonable . . . Just pay close attention to their value system, as that is what your coverage is on without any sort of agreed value rider.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:18 AM

Garage
I have Hagerty. Very easy to work with as I add and remove cars. Best of all - 50 miles towing. Full confession - yes I've had to call on them a few times to get a flatbed "ride of shame" after something went wrong. Each time, the company they sent was used to old and exotic cars and could deal with lowered cars and were very careful with our cars.

Life's too short to drive boring cars. 1969 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 1968 Lancia Fulvia, 1973 Opel GT, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1979 Triumph Spitfire, 1966 Lotus Elan, 2005 Lotus Elise
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 AM

I first had Hagerty but switched to Grundy. Grundy was half the price of Hagerty. Grundy goes out of its way to emphasize that the insured car can be used for pleasure only; Hagerty seems to be less strict when it comes to use beyond pleasure.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
i use grundy.

they are very professional and cheaper than hagerty's.

1992 alfa romeo spider veloce
2000 saab 9-3 coupe
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:51 AM

I've had my fun cars insured with Hagerty for several years. Haven't had to use them yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from those that have. I think you're definitely paying a little more for the convenience of good customer service and a nice website that makes it easy to make a lot of changes without talking to anyone on the phone.

Recently, I got curious when I saw a stand for Heacock classic insurance at a local car show. I ran a quote through them and it came out to about 2/3rds of what I'm paying through Hagerty, but I didn't make the switch. I could sense that all the processes with Heacock were already not as smooth and effortless as with Hagerty.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 AM

Another Grundy 'insuree'. I have coverage on 2 'old-timers'...my Alfa & '73 BMW tii...Grundy is very easy to deal with, I haven't made any claims but if I have questions they're quick to respond...

Regards
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Senior TEXAS member
Gold Subscriber

I have been with Hagerty for 12 years, have an agreed value policy with no limits on miles and have needed to use them twice. No hassles from them.
Costs less per year than 2 weeks coverage on my other vehicles with different company.
They understand what we have and the value we place on our cars.

Get out there and DRIVE !

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 AM

Garage
Bill, you bring up an interesting point. I have an "agreed" policy with American Modern. I just did a lot of work to my car and increased the insured value based on that work. But I wonder, if I was in a major accident, would the insurance adjuster "agree" with value I now state, which includes the original purchase price of the car and now the money I've put into it. Anyone had an experience where the insurance company paid less than your car's value? Or should I start shopping around for a "stated" policy?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode