Beware: EBay Alfa-Romeo-Store - Moved - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Beware: EBay Alfa-Romeo-Store - Moved

I just purchased a front Grill for my GTV6 repair from a seller on eBay with the name listed in the title. It arrived very well packaged but when I opened it I discovered the entire end was cracked off. It had been glued back on very poorly with some sort of glue. It was described as in "Very good condition" I contacted the seller and offered to ship it back at my cost for a refund and was refused.

Without passing judgment I would suggest that anyone buying something from this seller carefully consider how the seller stands behind what he or she sells.

Flea bay is no help so the seller has my payment and the case is closed. Anybody need a cracked grill for shipping cost?

I'm still looking for one I can use.

Greg

1972 Berlina Vintage Racer, 1987 Milano Platinum (LeMons Car), 1982 GTV6 EP Race Car, 1974 GTV Vintage Race Car, 2012 VW GTI stage II, 1966 Corvette Coupe 327-350, 2007 Triumph T100 Bonneville. Dearly departed: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1995 BMW 540i Sport, 2014 Audi A4 (swamped)

Last edited by papajam; 01-08-2017 at 05:02 AM. Reason: add moved to title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:33 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSef View Post
I just purchased a front Grill for my GTV6 repair from a seller on eBay with the name listed in the title. It arrived very well packaged but when I opened it I discovered the entire end was cracked off. It had been glued back on very poorly with some sort of glue. It was described as in "Very good condition" I contacted the seller and offered to ship it back at my cost for a refund and was refused.

Without passing judgment I would suggest that anyone buying something from this seller carefully consider how the seller stands behind what he or she sells.

Flea bay is no help so the seller has my payment and the case is closed. Anybody need a cracked grill for shipping cost?

I'm still looking for one I can use.

Greg
No buyer protection?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here's what happened

Seller says "I broke it" eBay let him close my return case.

Jan 05

The seller declined the return request.

1972 Berlina Vintage Racer, 1987 Milano Platinum (LeMons Car), 1982 GTV6 EP Race Car, 1974 GTV Vintage Race Car, 2012 VW GTI stage II, 1966 Corvette Coupe 327-350, 2007 Triumph T100 Bonneville. Dearly departed: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1995 BMW 540i Sport, 2014 Audi A4 (swamped)

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

If you paid with paypal you can try to go through them. I had a long involved hassle with a buyer in Italy involving ebay international shipping center in KY; they shipped the wrong thing, but there was no way for me to prove it. Paypal refunded the guy's money pretty readily, from emails, no physical evidence. Then I got the $$ back through ebay. So there are two routes.
Andrew
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Also, if you used a credit card, you could contact your bank for some help. I've had success that way in the past.

Last edited by ossodiseppia; 01-06-2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:44 AM

Out of Matamoras, PA, huh?

Been to Matamoras, MX but . . .

He seems to be very proud of his products, based on the asking . . .

What quality grill are you looking for, driver?
Might have one of those. Bought one used ten years ago for the Alfetta and stuck with stock.
Still in the box and haven't looked at it since.

'73 GTV - '78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce - '88 Milano Verde
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSef View Post
Flea bay is no help
Wow, that's disappointing to hear. Several years ago, I got into a similar situation, though I was the seller. I won't recount the whole story, but in summary the buyer filed a claim as soon as I shipped the item, stating that it was never received (I'll bet he used this scam regularly). There were no humans at ebay involved in deciding who was in the wrong; their process seemed to simply assume that the buyer is always right.

The most frustrating part of that whole experience was the lack of a human at ebay to read and respond to my messages - the whole process was opaque. Sounds like it still works the same way, only now the seller is always right.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:57 PM

I have seen those listings. they have cars too - they all look suspect.

I believe that account was selling a lot of GTV6s last year, that all had weird re-sprays and new floor mats (but no mention of you know, timing belts or other important things).

For example, I believe this was under that username and has now moved to a new username: 1985 Alfa Romeo Other 2.5 Coupe 2-Door | eBay

red flags...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters27 View Post

I believe that account was selling a lot of GTV6s last year, that all had weird re-sprays and new floor mats (but no mention of you know, timing belts or other important things).

For example, I believe this was under that username and has now moved to a new username: 1985 Alfa Romeo Other 2.5 Coupe 2-Door | eBay

red flags...
Special order? HA!

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters27 View Post

red flags...
Same font & colors of text from my debacle.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

I sell on eBay regularly so I am always disappointed when I see a transaction gone bad. I went to the sellers "store" and noticed they used the phrase "rare" and "very good" in most of his descriptions. I would reserve that wording for NLA items and NOS. I also looked at his feedback which was just over 91%, with one neutral and one negative, which appeared to been from Greg. The sellers response was that he had indicated the grille had a crack in his item description and that the buyer had the item in his possession for 80 days before contacting him. Not taking sides here, but it looks like the seller could have been more forthcoming and the buyer should have called attention to break sooner.
As mentioned so many times, eBay usually sides with the buyer, but due to the time lapse they must have agreed with them seller that sufficient time had lapsed. I believe there is a 90 day limit.
I can only answer for my own sales, but I probably would have refunded the cost.
This information is provided by comments from both the seller and buyer in the sellers profile/feedback.

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1967 Spider (project)
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:56 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2old4toys View Post
I sell on eBay regularly so I am always disappointed when I see a transaction gone bad. I went to the sellers "store" and noticed they used the phrase "rare" and "very good" in most of his descriptions. I would reserve that wording for NLA items and NOS. I also looked at his feedback which was just over 91%, with one neutral and one negative, which appeared to been from Greg. The sellers response was that he had indicated the grille had a crack in his item description and that the buyer had the item in his possession for 80 days before contacting him. Not taking sides here, but it looks like the seller could have been more forthcoming and the buyer should have called attention to break sooner.
As mentioned so many times, eBay usually sides with the buyer, but due to the time lapse they must have agreed with them seller that sufficient time had lapsed. I believe there is a 90 day limit.
I can only answer for my own sales, but I probably would have refunded the cost.
This information is provided by comments from both the seller and buyer in the sellers profile/feedback.
This kinda changes things.

Item was actually "bought" Nov 13th. So, it was not in the buyers possession for 80 days or 2 months and 20 days as seller stated in his response.

Still, it is an unfortunate situation.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2old4toys View Post
The seller edited his description of the item afterward.

From the seller ".. I am not responsible for you breaking it after it was repaired.."

I opened the packaging when it arrived and it looked fine. The seller was clever in the way he jury rigged the grill together with glue. It was only later when I went to install the grill when it was apparent that it was junk.

All in all I'm done with this. I'll chalk it up to experience. Life's to short to let this sort of thing get to me.

Greg

Last edited by GregSef; 01-06-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

What us the time limit on your credit card,if you used it, say, through PayPal? We had a dispute like this, and after several months, we had no problem getting the credit card company cancelling the charge.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 01-06-2017 at 04:19 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Special order? HA!
a+ for fiction it appears.

A few of those cars actually sold last year which is the amazing part. The descriptions were amazingly bad and the photos suspicious to say the least.

Edit: Should also post this on the GTV6 sub forum!

Last edited by Fosters27; 01-06-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode