Alfaholics comments - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Alfaholics comments

Well, I finally finished my first order from Alfaholics. Let me first tell you that with as many times as I changed my mind, they should have told me to take a few months and call back, like next year maybe. 😳
But that's not what happened. I'm dealing with Jim Spackman, their Sales Manager. I know why he's the sales manager. Super helpful, understanding, product knowledgable, an educator of the products, and amazingly patient. Oh, he's also a really nice person to chat with, wether it's Alfaholics, or just life stuff.
I also had a couple chats with Andrew, Max's brother/partner. Also fun to talk with.
I'll tell everyone about the stuff in the 'boxes' when they arrive, and I'll do a tell-all for anyone who might be interested in the quality check I'll be doing as they come out of their box. And later I'll do a play by play re; the install of said goodies for all those contemplating purchasing similar goodies for your car. I'm sure there are other GT newbies like me.
Thanks Jim!!!
😎

Current
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:19 AM

Garage
The Alfaholics gang seems to be a good group of guys, I have had good dealings with them. Also had good interactions with Classic Alfa, Centerline & Alfa Ricambi.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:00 PM

They are great, but the website sorely needs an online payment capability like Paypal.

They are missing out on a lot of online business because it's so fussy and insecure to make credit payments via multiple emails.

Cheers,
Wazza.

"horsepower sells cars - torque wins races".
1969 MK1 1750 GTV

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 PM

Garage
I agree too with the online payment!

Super helpful chaps and the quality of the parts I have received have been very good.

but the payment issues are annoying. I made a large order last week and was only able to make the bank deposit two days ago as they needed to process the order/quote. Now I have to wait for my bank transfer to go thru to them and then they will send the parts.

An online payments solution would be able to speed up the process very very much!

As an example OKP in Germany sends the packages so you receive them about three days after the order! That's cool!

But really good products and I look very much forward to see how my car drives with new bushings all around and the Alfaholics alu T-bar.!

-Ulrik
tmt likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to SanCesario
Like you I would appreciate an online payment using Paypal but there is a solution.
You can also pay giving your credit card number by phone to speed up the process.
I'm always doing like these to avoid sending my credit card number by email, and I'll do like that today for my order, like that parts are sent the same day.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 AM
Bob Balsbaugh
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The following is Jim Spackman's response to my query about using PayPal:

We accept Paypal on small orders but they commission charges rack up alarmingly above the Ģ100 mark so we prefer bank transfer or Mastercard/Visa for the larger orders, we don’t get gouged quite so badly that way.

This was dated 5/31.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I very much enjoyed working with Jim on my Montreal project. He really gets the value of keeping customers happy, and word of mouth references in building a business.

Regrettably, the owners of AH seem to have a less modern view of such things. They have not only stopped taking PayPal, they have also stopped taking American Express. They refer to using bank transfers, which is common in Europe, but hugely difficult and expensive in the US.

I am surprised when a business stops taking Amex, claiming the fees are too high, or other issues. Generally, people who use Amex are more affluent, and better able to afford upmarket products. Thus, a business is potentially shunning their most profitable customers!

Smarter businesses accommodate whatever method of payment the customer prefers. Simply price ones products to support the costs.

It may be helpful to embrace the #1 rule held by our most successful businesses in Nevada.

"Do nothing to impede the flow of money from the customer to the house"

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:47 AM

While I've enjoyed dealing with Alfaholics, an important component of these exchanges has been the convenience of using Paypal for the purchases. Not being able to use Paypal will, regrettably, force me to rethink future purchases. As Don points out the funds transfer method of payment adds multiple steps to the exchange which Paypal specifically reduces to a single action---hence it's advantage to consumers. I genuinely hate to say this because I very much like Alfaholics and Alfaholics products.

Note to Alfaholics: I hope you guys give some additional thought to this change. Closing a door on your American customers is not a good idea.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Regrettably, the owners of AH seem to have a less modern view of such things. They have not only stopped taking PayPal, they have also stopped taking American Express. They refer to using bank transfers, which is common in Europe, but hugely difficult and expensive in the US.

I am surprised when a business stops taking Amex, claiming the fees are too high, or other issues.
Thatīs a pretty typical American view from the other side of the pond ;-) ; here in Europe AMEX is charging very high percentage handling fees which results to that most of the business shops do accept all credit cards EXCEPT of Amex. The same is w/PayPal - a lot of shops do accept PayPal but charge additonal percentage on top.

What I donīt understand you guys who are claiming in this thread: Whatīs the matter with the use of VISA or MASTERCARD instead of AMEX ? Or should I believe all US American citizen only have 1 CC and this is AMEX ???! Not really.

Back to topic: The guys of AH are what you would call being "fully passionate". They really enjoy doing their business; itīs a fact that in UK you can find much more passionated people working in this classic car business - in the US my experiences are a bit different.

Jimīs always trying to give you a mandatory, competitive answer and help to your request as well as do the Banks brothers, too. You never get the sense they donīt feel responsible for what they are doing and dealing with. I call them in a totally positive manner "crazy Brits".

Thatīs really not understood to be a fact in some other classic Alfa oriented countries as well as not in the US. Thatīs my own experience.
SanCesario likes this.

Last edited by hunttheshunt; 06-02-2016 at 08:07 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:52 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Paypal

Paypal protects the buyer as well as providing the easy payment process.
I would be very leary of buying where I can`t use paypal.
There fees are not that expensive at all to the seller.

I prefer to use it exclusively so the buyer knows he has recourse if ever needed...
Rj

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunttheshunt View Post
Thatīs a pretty typical American view from the other side of the pond ;-) ; here in Europe AMEX is charging very high percentage handling fees which results to that most of the business shops do accept all credit cards EXCEPT of Amex. The same is w/PayPal - a lot of shops do accept PayPal but charge additonal percentage on top.

What I donīt understand you guys who are claiming in this thread: Whatīs the matter with the use of VISA or MASTERCARD instead of AMEX ? Or should I believe all US American citizen only have 1 CC and this is AMEX ???! Not really.

Back to topic: The guys of AH are what you would call being "fully passionate". They really enjoy doing their business; itīs a fact that in UK you can find much more passionated people working in this classic car business - in the US my experiences are a bit different.

Jimīs always trying to give you a mandatory, competitive answer and help to your request as well as do the Banks brothers, too. You never get the sense they donīt feel responsible for what they are doing and dealing with. I call them in a totally positive manner "crazy Brits".

Thatīs really not understood to be a fact in some other classic Alfa oriented countries as well as not in the US. Thatīs my own experience.

There can be surprising differences in cultures. I generally believe that there are no better or worse cultures, just different.

If an American company wishes to succeed in doing business in Germany, or Asia, we must accommodate those cultural expectations. Finding fault with the prospective customer's expectations simply results in the failure to gain their business.

We actually have the same issues within our own borders. Companies will establish policies to save a few pennies, but all they achieve is a withering customer base. They blame Walmart for ruining their business, when it was really their short sidedness in keeping up with market demands.

I won't claim AH's policies are wrong. I will claim they reduce their sales and net profits. It's their call to make.

As I said - they've got good stuff, and Jim works hard for you. If you have to have their stuff, you'll play by their rules. If Jim is on vacation, my advice is to wait until he returns before you order.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Bored Member
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I like all of my dealings with AH and really enjoy the interaction with Jim. I, as well, like PayPal but it's not a make or break for me with them. I don't have a major CC. I rely on my MC debit card and with AH it's never an issue. Thinking of it, it really isn't with anyone else for that matter.

Jim is smart enough to make his recommendations and then leave it to the customer to figure out what to do or not do and I like this. The shipping is also very quick to N. Italy.

Plus one on the idea "if Jim isn't available, wait". Ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:30 PM

I have always had excellent customer service from Jim. I agree the payment issue was a bit of a hassle at first, though once I was in the system it was very easy going forward. Finally I am always amazed at how quickly they ship their products and the quality has consistently been to a high standard.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:05 AM

I have always enjoyed doing business with Alfaholics. I have never had a problem with any of their products, and in fact I am often amazed at the consistent quality of everything I order when it arrives, especially. I am also amazed by the incredibly affordable shipping costs for items from them to the US, especially considering how quickly it usually arrives. Anyone not taking PayPal, (as long as they take some major credit cards) is not at all a deal-breaker for me, and I have noticed more and more organizations here in the US as well discontinuing their relationships with AMEX due to their high fees to retailers. A case-in-point being the recent end of AMEX at Costco for just that reason.

Currently without. 😕! Previously: 1971 series ll 1750 GTV, '73 Spider Veloce, '69 Berlina, '69 GTV, '74 Spider Veloce
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 AM

I've only ordered one thing from them [dashboard] but it was a relatively painless experience and shipped direct to a shop that is doing the work for me. I would agree that it's more painful than it could be, but we have ZERO options in the states it seems for a large collection of Alfa parts, so until someone wants to pony up and start a business here I'll continue to give them my business, even if it is more 'old school' being on the phone to give CC numbers, etc.

Trust is the most important thing to me and they have earned the right to be trusted based on how long they have been in business, thus I don't care about Paypal "protection" etc.

As an aside, the Paypal protection, at least the only time I have tried to use it, is Bull$hit. I bought $200 worth of goods from an eBay seller that never shipped, never had contact with the guy again, Paypal "ruled in my favor" yet did not give my money back. So F Paypal and the garbage "guarantees" that they purport to offer.

1971 1750 GTV [US] - 2000 Weber'ed Motor/1989 Toyota FJ62/2007 Audi S8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode