Alfaholics comments - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here's a small update to my original post. The picture included below only shows part one of the begining of my relationship with AlfaHolics, and Jim Spackman.
First, I ordered my goodies with a CC# and therefore had no PayPal issues, not that I ever have. You just have to realize that the debit cards we all like using for our $$ safety, can run into problems when used for any high dollar purchase, let alone one that's from overseas. Then the buyer gets frustrated and takes it out on the supplier, so I don't blame some company's for not using it just for that reason, let alone some other reasons.
Second, and this one is important. Don't order anything over $2500 USD (exactly! Regardless of what our $$ isnt worth!!) and not expect it to 'possibly' get stopped by the IRS 'before' it gets to customs and therefore slow your shipping time. If you're in a rush, split the order.
Third, and the best. My (first) order came to my home packaged very well and all was accounted for. I couldn't open it fast enough. The GTA wheels are gorgeous (see pictures in the GT category), the lug nuts are gorgeous, the ...well, just read it elsewhere. Now to be honest, there was a small issue and Jim put it right, asap, without a hiccup. Their customer service is very, very good. Since that day, I've put an additional order in with AlfaHolics!!
As an aside, I, like others of us, have also in the past ordered from similar suppliers for my other Alfas. I guess you order close to where you live first, if the product you're looking for is available or the price is better. Maybe. I like dealing with people over the phone first, and then I'll order from the website.
Otherwise, I've rambled on too much. Besides, I need to work on my 'next' AH order!������
��
Attached Images

Current
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Second, and this one is important. Don't order anything over $2500 USD (exactly! Regardless of what our $$ isnt worth!!) and not expect it to 'possibly' get stopped by the IRS 'before' it gets to customs and therefore slow your shipping time. If you're in a rush, split the order.
US Customs has a practice (don't know if it's actual policy or not) of not charging duty on incoming parts that are under $2000 if they are being shipped to a private, i.e., non-business, party. However, the vendor must identify the order as private-party by sending an "HST" form with the shipment Absent the HST form the shipper will treat the order as a commercial shipment and you will probably be charged import duty. DHL does this. I had several email conversations with DHL before discovering this. So, always make sure the Europen vendor knows about the HST form. This didn't happen in the past when I ordered stuff. I think US Customs have become more persnickety since being taken over by Homeland Security.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 AM

The order looks great - enjoy!

Payment, I laugh when I see US folks complaining about that stuff. I mean, remember cheques? Alive and well here, so so old world everywhere else. Try sending money to someone else bank to bank. Almost impossible! No wonder PayPal exists. Back in Oz just give me your BSB and account number. Done deal.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
In my business, as in real estate, it's all about the 'wire transfer'. I don't want cash or credit cards. And I'll only accept a 'bank check' for a deposit and only from someone I know, as in a current client. It's not uncommon for me to be handed personal checks for amounts in the six figures. But I know these people for many years.

Current
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Paypal fees are different when it goes over seas. I recently bought some stuff and the seller agreed to take paypal if I paid the fees. On a roughly 1300.00 euro order the fees to the seller was almost 50.00 euros.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 07:08 PM

My two cents: Purchased some parts from Alfaholics in September 2016 after most items out-of-stock?? from US/local sources (Spider85).
Filled out their online purchase form, they quickly replied to the "quote request" with reasonable prices/shipping.
Requested Paypal payment and they happily agreed if I cover the fees/cost (fair enough+). They shipped immediately & accurately. Great communication via email/tracking - never had to call them.

Agree, the site could use an upgrade to the merchant/purchase/credit_card process, but they are very accommodating otherwise.
(Not upgrading my phone plan for international talk nor would I (or anybody) send credit card information through email -nope,nope,nope).

Would recommend - they did a great job

(Hope this helps anyone with concerns)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode